Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2008, 08:21   #1

Wink Roughlee Nursing Home Accrington

Just joined yesterday evening. I was born in Roughlee Nursing Home in 1941, and then lived at 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat until just before the end of the war. My earliest childhood memories are feeding hens in the back garden with my father. My job was to feed the blind hen from a bucket of slop. I have memories of quarry buckets travelling on overhead wires, and a small iron railed grassed memorial garden within walking distance of Burnley Lane. My mother pushed me to my grandparents who lived at 22 Station Road for me to have a tuppa tea with my Nan. One day, my mother couldn't find me and searched everywhere. I was eventually found sitting on a door step with one Amy Bracewell eating beetroot and baked potato. I came home with fleas! Sorry Amy if you're still around. I wore clogs and used to tap dance on the stone kitchen floor. The roof leaked. My parents returned to Liverpool before 1945, because I have a photograph of me at a VE day street party in Liverpool. I remember, in Liverpool, having the mickey taken whenever I used the expression "Give Over!"

I believe Roughlee was demolished. Anyone have any photos of Roughlee?
Does 32 Burnley Lane Huncoat exist? Any photos ? Am working hard on a mammoth family ancestry project at the moment. Any help would be very very gratefully appreciated. I now live in South Oxfordshire

Best wishes to all
ROUGHLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2008, 19:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Roughlee Nursing Home Accrington

Have twice sent PMs to Roughlee, but no reply. I have been in contact with Amy Bracewell, mentioned above. She has been over to Huncoat to take some photos and has obtaioned some old photos, I hope Roughlee will send me a PM (private message) so that I can put her (?) in touch with Amy. I have not seen a photo of Roughlee Maternity Home, of which I am a statistic. Atarah will probably have one., or Retlaw.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 20:32   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have not seen a photo of Roughlee Maternity Home, of which I am a statistic. Atarah will probably have one., or Retlaw.
Good point, Bob. I'd never actually thought about it before, but I've never seen a photo of the place where I was born, either. I wonder if anybody has one?
Old 12-12-2008, 21:36   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Good point, Bob. I'd never actually thought about it before, but I've never seen a photo of the place where I was born, either. I wonder if anybody has one?
Hoody Blell.
How many of us were born in that place, so was I near 80 years ago, can't say I've ever seen a photo of it either, and its at the top of the street, not 500 yrds way.
Walter Haworth a deceased member of the Accy Historical Soc, once did some research on it, one of the things he discovered, was an old date stone, in the wall of one of the out buildings, late 1700's, which was impossible, turned out that stone had come from an old pub in Accrington, known as the Mop Inn.
I think the Slingers were the last to live in it, before it became the maternity unit.
I hate it when some one starts a thread on a historical subject, then does'nt respond.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 22:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

retlaw it was the 25th of october the thread was posted, the first response was today. perhaps they aint looked fer a while.
Old 12-12-2008, 23:02   #6
God Member

I was born there on the second of September 1956
Old 13-12-2008, 00:03   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
retlaw it was the 25th of october the thread was posted, the first response was today. perhaps they aint looked fer a while.
I accept your point Cashman, but my main gripe was the reply I did for Hambledon Hall, still no response last time I looked.
You'd think that if they went of the trouble posting the message in the first place, they would reply in some form or other.

I sometimes wonder whether I'm wasting my time in trying to help.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 00:04   #8

I can still remember the place - my three children were born there - 1967, 1969 and 1970, and believe me, it was basic, the wards were up on the first floor, no lifts, and the matron was a tyrant, thought more about her cats than us mums, fathers weren't encouraged to be at the births and we had to stay in for a week after the baby was born
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 00:26   #9

I was born there too in 1941. I've been trying to locate a registry of my birth without any luck.

I found these photos on Lancashire lantern Lancashire lantern - Lancashire life and times e-resource network
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (37.1 KB, 103 views)
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 00:28   #10
Give, give, give member

There are two photographs of the place if you use Google Image.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 00:29   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
I was born there too in 1941. I've been trying to locate a registry of my birth without any luck.

I found these photos on Lancashire lantern Lancashire lantern - Lancashire life and times e-resource network
There you go.

Those are the two.

You beat me to it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 01:10   #12
God Member

It hasn't been demolished has it? I thought it was a home for disabled people now, anybody know any different?
Old 13-12-2008, 01:22   #13
God Member

Seem to remember it as a well run place , the slightest sign of any complication or extended/difficult labour the Mother-to-be was shipped out to Queens Park no problem (as happened to my eldest in 69 ), and non of this present day rubbish about sending Mothers home and saying come back tomorrow your not ready yet. My youngest was born there in 71 with no problems . And it was a damn sight more convienient for Accy folks than trekking out to wilds of Whalley and Bramley Mead
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 02:00   #14
God Member

My Mum had to go to Bramley Mead to have my younger sister. She had half a day off work to go to book in, there were no ante-natal classes and no scans. She worked till the last month of her pregnancy and went back to work when my sis was six weeks old. Not that long ago really my sis is forty seven, she was the sixth child I sometimes wonder how my Mum did it. By the way she worked full time doing heavy work
Old 13-12-2008, 11:29   #15
Resting in Peace

My eldest was born there in 1968, my youngest was born at Bramley Mead 1969 I was born there in 1946, in fact when you think of it Roughlee has a lot to answer for looking at this thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..