Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2010, 19:16   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Shoulder of Mutton, 6 Cross Edge, Green Haworth

Accrington Library holds much that will interest you: look at Barretts Directoriesof Blackburn & District for names of licensees. Each february in the Observer, there were reports from the Brewster Sessions. Green Haworth at this point was probably in the Accrington Police area, but if not, look into the Church reports.
Thwaites' brewery will have the pub's records. They aren't all that great at replying in detail.
Census records are available on-line ( free from the library's computers) up to 1911.

There is a PC Sholliker (?)at Accrington Police Station who is helpful in looking at police files.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2010, 22:27   #17
Junior Member+

Thanks Bob, I've left messages with the brewery so fingers crossed something may turn up if I pester them enough. Some really nice people on here are looking into some stuff for me which I am so chuffed about, I only hope if I find anything of interest to people that I can be of help at some point, this site is addictive!
Nicky L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 22:30   #18
Junior Member+

Thanks JCB this sounds perfect if you stumble across anything I would be more than grateful. So far I have found that Green Haworth was infamous for roughien fellows who enjoyed a drink and was known for Cock fighting, Bullfighting and gambling, such interesting characters seemed to frequent there, I'm loving finding out the history of the place.
Old 14-12-2010, 10:55   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thwaites' brewery will have the pub's records. They aren't all that great at replying in detail.

You're right, Bob, Thwaites aren't terribly helpful with past records ... they just try and sell you their own history publication which wouldn't be any help. Don't think they hold the records anyway.

Actually, am a little confused. Was it still a Thwaites's pub when it closed ? They were after selling it in 1996 and a 'photo Ossygobbin put up on his site in 2003 clearly shows it as a Mitchell's pub ? (mind you, it may have been taken earlier).

Did notice that John Virtue (famous local painter) had done a painting of the pub dated 1972, however, his works of art are very abstract and sometimes unrecognisable. Also, would probably cost a fortune to buy. It is not showing an image as yet ?

John Virtue: The Open Art Collection

Did actually join this site to see if it showed the image ... now getting communications from people who wish to discuss fine art .... LOL ... haven't got a clue ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 11:01   #20
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky L View Post
Thanks JCB this sounds perfect if you stumble across anything I would be more than grateful. So far I have found that Green Haworth was infamous for roughien fellows who enjoyed a drink and was known for Cock fighting, Bullfighting and gambling, such interesting characters seemed to frequent there, I'm loving finding out the history of the place.
My mother used to tell me about the Mayor of Bedlam .
A man was chosen to be Mayor of Bedlam , and each year he would lead the people of Bedlam in procession to the now disused Methodist Chapel just past the Shoulder .

Yes they were rum buggers up there then .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 11:15   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
My mother used to tell me about the Mayor of Bedlam .
A man was chosen to be Mayor of Bedlam , and each year he would lead the people of Bedlam in procession to the now disused Methodist Chapel just past the Shoulder .

Yes they were rum buggers up there then .
Picked up on a story where one of the preachers hung himself in the vestry of the Methodist chapel after his sermon of "Do as I say:Not do as I do". Wonder if his inquest was held at the Shoulder ?
Old 14-12-2010, 11:25   #22
Junior Member+

Katex, I found in the library archives that Tetleys had it before Thwaites and as far as I could see Thwaites were the last ones on record to own the pub I think? I have actually got a copy of John Virtues picture of the Shoulder, its quite abstract having been drawn from the bottom of the hill but it is still something, it was sold at a Christies auction a few years back! Sorry for you being pestered now by random art folk!

I have to say I am very keen on hearing about these inquests, I can't believe I couldn't find anything about these at the library or I guess I may not have known where to look!

Wow that is rather morbid about the chapel although I would like to learn more. Oh to have a look round that place.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:27   #23
Junior Member+

JCB like the sound of the Mayor of Bedlam, one of my friends lives on that row now and I've got her hooked on the history side of things now aswell!
Old 14-12-2010, 11:50   #24
Resting in Peace

Haha .. it's ok about the Art site .. thought it was funny. Did wonder if the entry of John Virtue was old ... bit ambiguous. Like his paintings..

Sounds like you are doing extremely well with your research and am sure your parents will appreciate the effort you have put in.

'Course the story re. the preacher may not be true .. was googling.. can't remember where I saw it now.

Re. Thwaites .. like I said .. not sure. If you go into Ossygobbin's site and scroll down to Oswaldtwistle Pubs, the picture is in there.. don't think allowed to put up due to copyright ?

Life and times of Oswaldtwistle :: Fotopic.Net
Old 14-12-2010, 12:01   #25
Junior Member+

I might be having a bit of a moment but I can't for life of me see Shoulder on that site? I've seen practically every other pub under the 'Oswaldtwistle Pubs' link?

By the way Katex I will be sure to pass on my thanks with all this once I've let my family in on it!
Old 14-12-2010, 12:07   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky L View Post
I might be having a bit of a moment but I can't for life of me see Shoulder on that site? I've seen practically every other pub under the 'Oswaldtwistle Pubs' link?

8th row down, second in from left .. hover over the pictures too .. will label it.
Old 14-12-2010, 13:42   #27
Junior Member+

I was definately having a moment!!! Thankyou. Gonna pop into the library tonight I think to see if there is anyting about the old inquests.
Old 14-12-2010, 14:50   #28
Resting in Peace

Ah ! Just seen that Thwaites acquired part of the Mitchell's of Lancaster brewery in 1999 ... so looks like that 'photo was before then.
Old 14-12-2010, 17:57   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You're right, Bob, Thwaites aren't terribly helpful with past records ... they just try and sell you their own history publication which wouldn't be any help. Don't think they hold the records anyway.

Actually, am a little confused. Was it still a Thwaites's pub when it closed ? They were after selling it in 1996 and a 'photo Ossygobbin put up on his site in 2003 clearly shows it as a Mitchell's pub ? (mind you, it may have been taken earlier).

Did notice that John Virtue (famous local painter) had done a painting of the pub dated 1972, however, his works of art are very abstract and sometimes unrecognisable. Also, would probably cost a fortune to buy. It is not showing an image as yet ?

John Virtue: The Open Art Collection

Did actually join this site to see if it showed the image ... now getting communications from people who wish to discuss fine art .... LOL ... haven't got a clue ...
I remember John Virtue lived close to the Shoulder in those days Kate
Old 14-12-2010, 23:02   #30
Junior Member+

JCB I just realised I hadn't replied to this post,very sorry. I would be eternally grateful if you could have a look if you can find anything from when your family lived next door, that house is built of strong stuff, me and my brother were looking at one of the old pics on here and the render is still identical nearly 100 years ago!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..