Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 15:27   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Spire farm development

The Hardy family lived at Spire farm in the 60's, the children being Arthur and Jean.

The Strak family lived at the next farm.
Dizzy Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12   #32

i will check my deeds and relay facts back to you
RHFOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 14:41   #33

Smile Re: Spire farm development

thanks dizzy lizzi that was his name think they moved down south when is father died
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 16:25   #34

the farm retlaw is were mr tom jackson lives with is family in the end cottage,over the years its been turned into a livery yard for horses and i think thats were the term farm comes from.
Old 11-03-2010, 18:33   #35

so you know retlaw the 100 acres that belonged to spire farm as been divided into lots in the 90s, and i assume that this is also a reason as to why farms, vaccaries, livery yards,and equestrian center seem to come under the banner of a working farm??
these days spire farm is 3 seperate homes it was 4 but i bought the bungalow on the east wing, feel free to call up have a natter if you wish, if not just let me know when you want to come up and you can have alook round at your leisure, even bring a friend if you prefer.
Old 11-03-2010, 20:28   #36
Resting in Peace

So this is you then:

11/09/0505 Full: Erection of stables, manure store and 02/12/2009
detached garage (amendments to previously
approved scheme), erection of stone wall to
court yard (retrospective) including
extension, erection of fence to rear garden
(retrospective) formation of outside winter
paddock (retrospective) proposed compound
area and demolition of unauthorised stables
buildings

Spire Farm Sandy Lane
Accrington BB5 2DH
Mr R H Foy
suebeth likes this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 18:24   #37

yes thats us
Old 01-04-2010, 17:38   #38
Senior Member+

I think that rhfoy needs to quantify what he means by sympathetic redevelopment of an Accrington landmark as all i can see going on up there is vandalism,fly tipping of horse manure in various places, bad workmanship and somebody who seems to have all the gear but no idea!!!!!!
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 00:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHFOY View Post
Good afternoon
as many of you will know spire farm accrington is undergoing a major facelift and will continue to do so over the next 15 months, the project is extremely costly and as to be done very sympatheticly to bring it back to its original position.

On top of this the outside barns and buildings need to be resited and in conjunction with hyndburn planning we want to be as neutral as possible,especially within the curtilage

as many other accrington folk sHow an interest in spire and its ongoing development i am very pleased to answer any concerns or questions you have,or even ideas on the intense landscaping that will be carried out.

Robert h foy
Hi
I am looking for information on Brocklehurst farm and a painter T Duckworth who did a painting of the house in 1863. Do you know where I might go to get this information.
btw this is my first posting ever.
Mike
myquin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 00:40   #40

Hi again:
Forget my question on Brocklhurst farm as I have found reference to it on the historic site. I guess I should have looked there first. It would seem that another of my relatives is also searching and has been successful.
Sorry to bother you.
Good luck with your project.
Mike
myquin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 15:36   #41

thank you for your comments although they are from someone who as never seen a building site in their life, the land for your information were the manure currently is is my land so you must have made up your flytipping point, we have a bigger problem with diseased dog mess all over my land and lane, and our animals being killed and attacked and the usual idiots not doing what the law states. vandalism is another shallow quote with no substance in this remark, all the gear with no idea, again limited knowledge but i suppose you are jack of all trades and master of non, but claim you are.... please feel free to call and see me for a tour of our great historical home and you never know you might give me some fantastic ideas, and being a working class man done well for himself, i have a great ability to listen and learn.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 07-01-2013 at 06:23. Reason: *'s
Old 24-09-2010, 21:36   #42
Senior Member+

rhfoy seems to have made rather a lot of assumptions about my experience and worthiness to pass comment on his refurb of his historic home,the vandalism comment for one was passed about his destruction of various traditional dry stone walls which ran adjacent to the lane, and the removal of the original footpath which is now in the field ,also when passing doubt on other peoples credentials would an experienced man such as rhfoy implies HE is,be applying for retrospective planning permission for works already carried out.The destroyed walls mentioned above have been replaced by a shonky wooden fence which even I as a master of no trades as he puts it, can see is of poor quality.As for the fly tipping remark it was to highlight the fact that rhfoy has tipped several tons of horse manure all around the curtalige of what is i must admit his land,this said it is tipped next to a water course which may become contaminated with run off from the manure. Which as a experienced man rhfoy should know.In fact the manure should be contained in a suitable enclosed middin with drainage suitable to take what is in effect contaminated waste.As for the dog mess and usual idiots comment, is this why rhfoy has employed a security guard to intimidate dog walkers and horse riders using the path through his yard otherwise known as plantation rd which local people have been using quite lawfully before rhfoy even knew where spire farm was.And just for the record i am a time served plasterer who has worked in the building trade for over 20 years.In which time i have i think worked on one or two building sites.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 22:18   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

summat else fer the record- Folk aren't Blind.
Old 25-09-2010, 12:42   #44
Junior Member+

If, as stated, the tower was removed from Hight Riley, how does all the stonework of the tower match the courses of the rest of the building?
Bernard Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:37   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Holden View Post
If, as stated, the tower was removed from Hight Riley, how does all the stonework of the tower match the courses of the rest of the building?
The tower originally stood behind High Riley Cottages, some time around 1830 it was taken down & rebuilt into what is now called Spire Farm, the rate assessment for 1828 & 1835 shows the valuation change.
Why should the courses not line up.
Take the present East Gate for example, how many can remember it as Pitt Street, looks like its always been like that.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..