Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2012, 13:04   #1
Senior Member+

St Annes RC Church

Has anyone got a copy of the book on the history of this church that they might look up for me who might have given the land for this church to be built? when? Is there any reason given why it was dedicated to St Anne?

I cannot get into the library soon
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2012, 13:12   #2
I am Banned

Re: St Annes RC Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Has anyone got a copy of the book on the history of this church that they might look up for me who might have given the land for this church to be built? when? Is there any reason given why it was dedicated to St Anne?

I cannot get into the library soon
I can tell you this much it was built after WW1, some years ago they were having the usual problems with dry rot etc, and it was going to be knocked down, that got stopped, the building itself is a World War 1 Memorial.
The Church services before that were held in the school rooms which were further up Cobham Rd, and were much older than the War Memorial Church.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-12-2012 at 13:16.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:58   #3
Junior Member+

There is some information about St. Anne's Church on the Genuki site. I quote from the site: "The mission was founded by the famous Fr. Robert Holmes, afterwards Canon of the diocese. It was begun in 1897 and was at first called St. Augustines's. Fr. William Healy came here in 1901 and remained until his death in 1929. He built the fine church, (1925), and firmly established the parish. Since his time the work has been carried on by Fr. Philip Ryan."

Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past," a survey by Charles A. Bolton published in 1950.
There is no information about who held the land before the church. The Genuki site acknowledges also that there may be errors in its information.

I remember Fr. Ryan. I didn't attend St. Anne's Church but we lived on Cobham Road, and two of my friends went there. We used to go to domino drives in the school building on Sunday evenings and that would be around 1950.
JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 21:22   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks to Retlaw & JoanR for the responses. I don't recall hearing that it was called St Augustine's before and it surprises me.If it transpires that the land was given by the Peels, then it may be St Anne's because the matriarch of the family was called Anne. I realise that Anne is a common name for RC churches, as Anne was mother of Mary, and thus grandma to Jesus. The town of (Lytham) St Annes was built around a church dedicated to St Anne, and Anne was wife of the land owner/donor, Squire Clifton.I'm hopeful that the book will tell us summat.
Old 28-12-2012, 22:21   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks to Retlaw & JoanR for the responses. I don't recall hearing that it was called St Augustine's before and it surprises me.If it transpires that the land was given by the Peels, then it may be St Anne's because the matriarch of the family was called Anne. I realise that Anne is a common name for RC churches, as Anne was mother of Mary, and thus grandma to Jesus. The town of (Lytham) St Annes was built around a church dedicated to St Anne, and Anne was wife of the land owner/donor, Squire Clifton.I'm hopeful that the book will tell us summat.
Not sure about a link with the Peels, they were very closely linked to St James Church, Peel St was at one time known as Mr Peels road, from his house via Avenue Parade, to St James's.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:40   #6
Senior Member+

I agree that it is a tenuous link, but it is a possibility that I would like to explore. It is just the sort of thing that big landowners did.
Old 29-12-2012, 09:01   #7
Senior Member+

As a way of illustrating my last posting.....in the paper today I have read of a redundant church, St Edmund's in Rochdale. It was paid for by Albert Hudson Royds, a Rochdale businessman/landowner, and Edmund was the name of one of his family. Many on this forum will realise that Albert, Hudson, Edmund and Royds are the names of streets in the Woodnook area, which the Royds family, of Belfield Hall, Rochdale, owned.
Old 29-12-2012, 10:30   #8
God Member

Might be worth trying here Bob.

North West Catholic History Society

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 10:44   #9
Senior Member+

I know the lady who is sec of this - never thought to ask her.
Old 29-12-2012, 11:38   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
I know the lady who is sec of this - never thought to ask her.
Is it the same lady I have provided information to, for St Annes new WW1 Roll of Honour
Old 29-12-2012, 11:38   #11

and Albert Royd's Street, Rochdale (A664)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:42   #12
Senior Member+

Correction - not a lady ( she runs the NW Catholic Family History Society. ) Sec of the society I need to contact is Tony Hilton of Wigan, a sterling chap.
Old 03-01-2013, 20:40   #13
Senior Member+

Having now read a boklet on the church wrtitten 1997 by Walter waine,a my old history master and a long-time worshipper at St Annes, I can see how genuki have wrongly stated that it was a first called St Augustine's - the Bishop of Salford sent Father Holmes to Acc to set up a parish and continue the work of St Augustine (AD 597) This merely means that he was to do God's work. He was a missionary to Accrington.

In fact he started up a school which had a chapel within it in Cobham Rd (then Cobham St) which opened in 1899 and was called St Anne's. I have found no connection with the Peel's, and in fact the priest bought the land from the Hargreaves family

How now can I tell Genuki to amend their entry?
Old 03-01-2013, 21:04   #14
Resting In Peace

See the blue panel at the bottom of this page Bob for how to get Genuki to amend the site.

GENUKI: St Anne Roman Catholic, Accrington, Lancashire genealogy
Old 03-01-2013, 22:52   #15
Senior Member+

Excellent Susie. I will sort it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..