Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2012, 18:45   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its stupid because you have no idea why they are there but still felt the need to comment. They not even be in use at that time.
It was a perfectly serious comment possibly made with too much levity - that path is clearly under construction so surely there should be safety barriers on both sides to stop folks tripping over those new kerbstones.
Old 03-09-2012, 17:47   #17

That diagonal path on the right was 1/2 built then removed. I suspect because they put cheap concrete edging in instead of the correct stone that was supposed to be used.

Did you know that many of the tombstones are being buried here?

There is a row of them at the St James st side with another row buried underneath them.

I spoke to a lady who had done all the recording of the site beforehand and she was not pleased with what they were doing with the tombstones.
These tombstones are from prominent people in Accrington's history.

IMO there is plenty of room to put them out so they can still be seen by interested people without the need to bury them.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:00   #18
Senior Member+

Hi, thank you, yes, am VERY much aware of all the renovations taking place. In fact it was myself who informed "the lady who has done all the recording of the headstones" about what was happening.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 18:12   #19
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Re siting of headstones nearer to St James Street
Old 03-09-2012, 22:02   #20
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

This evening I realised that since 4pm some information signs have now been put on display. Was beginning to get dark as I passed and my camera flashed a few times so they are not wonderful, but quite legible for now. I will take some clearer ones tomorrow (Tues)
Old 03-09-2012, 22:12   #21
spw

Am I correct that the existing gravestones along the Holme Street side of the church are being resited? One of them is that of my great great great grandparents Edmund and Betty Pilling, grave 291 on Retlaw's diagram.
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27   #22
Senior Member+

Hi, yes, all the headstones which have formed a "pathway" for many years have been moved. They have most certainly been recorded though, thats for sure, by a member of the LFHHS - (Lancashire Family History and Heraldry group).

No promises, but I will see if there is any way I can find out where your ancestors details are. (may not be able to get near enough to find out today, but ..... I WILL!)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
Am I correct that the existing gravestones along the Holme Street side of the church are being resited? One of them is that of my great great great grandparents Edmund and Betty Pilling, grave 291 on Retlaw's diagram.
The gravestone you mentioned is visible and has been relocated in a vertical position near the lower Cannon Street entrance. 19 of the 54 stones will be underneath another stone.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52   #24
God Member

What a shame they have not included a duck pond in the new scheme.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41   #25
Senior Member+

i think pic to is superb!, busted
and i thought it relevant to the post, regarding the improvement work taking place, the pictures are of st james church, thats what the thread is titled, i dint feel that the picture or its comments detracted from any earlier post

plus made me giggle! nice 1
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:02   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The gravestone you mentioned is visible and has been relocated in a vertical position near the lower Cannon Street entrance. 19 of the 54 stones will be underneath another stone.
THANK YOU NEIL, FOR LOCATING IT SO QUICKLY.

To spw - this one is "yours" I believe. Seven have already been put into position, with another three about to be. Apparently these 10 were chosen because there are no inscriptions near the base of the headstone, so all inscriptions can be quite clearly seen. Yours will, in effect, be the 3rd one in, (from the existing path from Cannon Street), to the right of the path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th Sept 2012a.jpg (431.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 4th Sept 2012b.jpg (328.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 13:50   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
i think pic to is superb!, busted
and i thought it relevant to the post, regarding the improvement work taking place, the pictures are of st james church, thats what the thread is titled, i dint feel that the picture or its comments detracted from any earlier post

plus made me giggle! nice 1
Sorry which pic are you referring to?
Old 04-09-2012, 13:54   #28
Senior Member+

sorry the workman pic
Old 04-09-2012, 13:57   #29
Senior Member+

it just sums up the "quirky british worker" not in a bad way but think back through the history of photography, and there must be a picture for every day of the week that a british worker as though "eeeee look, someone wi a camera, i know ill light a fag, have a break while i watch what there up to"

but is that what we see?

sorry thread wandering
Old 04-09-2012, 14:12   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
sorry the workman pic
Quote:
it just sums up the "quirky british worker" not in a bad way but think back through the history of photography, and there must be a picture for every day of the week that a british worker as though "eeeee look, someone wi a camera, i know ill light a fag, have a break while i watch what there up to"

but is that what we see?

sorry thread wandering
OK so as I thought you were referring to the pics in post 10 and the comments in 11 and 12 which some people thought were stupid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..