Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 14:16   #31
Senior Member+

Re: ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

yes, my fault for taking so long to answer, when i started typing, the other posts wasnt there lol
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2012, 22:51   #32
spw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
THANK YOU NEIL, FOR LOCATING IT SO QUICKLY.

To spw - this one is "yours" I believe. Seven have already been put into position, with another three about to be. Apparently these 10 were chosen because there are no inscriptions near the base of the headstone, so all inscriptions can be quite clearly seen. Yours will, in effect, be the 3rd one in, (from the existing path from Cannon Street), to the right of the path.
Very thoughtful of you to post the photographs. Much appreciated. I have a 400 mile round trip to Accrington and time is spent visiting the living rather than the dead.
A little about Edmund. He was a collier who lived at Fig Pie Hall. He died shortly after receiving injuries during a ‘general scuffle’ outside a beer shop after intervening in an argument over a ferret. An inquest returned a verdict of Manslaughter. One William Grimshaw was subsequently tried and acquitted at Lancaster Assizes.
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 23:17   #33
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
A little about Edmund. He was a collier who lived at Fig Pie Hall. He died shortly after receiving injuries during a ‘general scuffle’ outside a beer shop after intervening in an argument over a ferret. An inquest returned a verdict of Manslaughter. One William Grimshaw was subsequently tried and acquitted at Lancaster Assizes.
See, so many tales to tell! Thanks for that information, very interesting. This is why it saddens me that 18 headstones are now out of view. I was told the ones which only had details near the top of the headstones are the ones they have kept upright. That must mean the ones BURIED must have A LOT of information on them which, although recorded, cannot be seen by interested relatives anymore.

Just attached a today's general view of the churchyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St James's 4th Sept 2012.JPG (411.5 KB, 23 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10   #34

The pictures do make it look like the finished job will be quite good.

I do wonder though, who's gravestones are buried?
Are there any from prominent people in Accringtons history buried?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 15:19   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The pictures do make it look like the finished job will be quite good.

The Diocese and their architect decided which to bury based on condition and the actual engraving on the stones but I don't have a list sorry.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:28   #36
Senior Member+

To spw

Your family headstone is now in position - yours is the one at the LH side.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:35   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Not sure about prominent, but, "Captains of Industry" - every probability.

Hopefully a leaflet/list will be made available listing ALL headstone details. Enquiries have been made, all decisions agreed upon, which cannot be changed, so we will just have to accept the decision. We must remember though that all the headstones HAVE been recorded very recently by the L.F.H.H.S. and so all we can do now is wait until the work is finished, when we will find out who the "missing" folk are.
Old 07-09-2012, 20:10   #38

Have you seen the edging for the path recently?
Along one edge there are gaps in it, these are not in the other side so seem to be rather puzzling?
I could understand them being on the other side, to allow drainage but not on the uphill side?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 23:54   #39
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Just a few more random views so you can see how the improvements are progressing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7th Sept 2012.JPG (401.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 7th Sept 2012b.JPG (336.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 7th Sept 2012c.JPG (420.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 7th Sept 2012d.JPG (409.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 23:07   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Not sure about prominent, but, "Captains of Industry" - every probability.

Hopefully a leaflet/list will be made available listing ALL headstone details. Enquiries have been made, all decisions agreed upon, which cannot be changed, so we will just have to accept the decision. We must remember though that all the headstones HAVE been recorded very recently by the L.F.H.H.S. and so all we can do now is wait until the work is finished, when we will find out who the "missing" folk are.
Not sure if you have seen this drawing of the site before. I am not sure if this is an early draft or the current one they are working to or not sorry.

It mentions the 18 gravestones that will be laid under the 22 in the top left area of the drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stjames.jpg (397.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 23:22   #41
Senior Member+

Thanks for that. Never seen it before.

Its interesting because it shows a second pathway, leading in the direction of the Bees Knees, but, there is no obvious sign yet they are going to create one?
Old 08-09-2012, 23:27   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Thanks for that. Never seen it before.

Its interesting because it shows a second pathway, leading in the direction of the Bees Knees, but, there is no obvious sign yet they are going to create one?
As far as I know that plan is correct but there may have been small changes but I am sure the paths are as shown though. You can see they are making new entrances and improving the Cannon Street one. I am not sure if the Cannon Street one is moving slightly, I can't think where it is now in relation to the Church
Old 09-09-2012, 13:56   #43
Senior Member+

Atarah, has the church been sandblasted? The stonework looks lovely, it has that warm sandstone look to it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:07   #44
spw

Quote:
I have attached a 'copy' of the report of the inquest published in the Blackburn Standard of 4th May 1853.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edmund_Pilling_Inquest.jpg (204.2 KB, 15 views)
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:32   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have attached a 'copy' of the report of the inquest published in the Blackburn Standard of 4th May 1853.
so it was manslaughter, although it had nothing to do with the fracture?

interesting stuff though, thanks for sharing
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..