Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2012, 21:22   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
OK..you may have done. But I didn't see it. Anyway, I'll take your word. But if HBC has responsibilty for upkeep, do they have a say-so on any future developments (assuming money is available, planning is not a problem and the diocese agrees)? There is alot of stuff that could still be done with imagination and money.
Hyndburn helped with the design so it would be safe, easy to maintain, comply with regulations etc

There is a plan on this page I linked to before St James Church 2012
Old 19-09-2012, 00:33   #62
Senior Member+

ST JAMES CHURCH Accrington

More photos re the improvements around St James's churchyard
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 22:15   #63
Senior Member+

A few views of the church building itself and a few of "work in progress". Not as many workers on site today, they seemed to be concentrating on the area nearest to Warner St and also Holmes St.

If you look at photo no.1 you will notice the stainless steel modern type clock. One of our members, Owd Bert, told me today that he and some others from Accrington & Rossendale College were involved in the making of this. He will try and remember the approx date they did this work in the sheet metal department of the college.

Last edited by Atarah; 19-09-2012 at 22:19.
Old 20-09-2012, 12:42   #64

Loved latest pictures 6 and 7 Atarah,Thats my son, also on pic 2 from Tuesday!
Keep the Photos coming!
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 22:25   #65
Senior Member+

A few more photos from Thursday 20th Sept.

INFORMATION RE THE HEADSTONES

Some of the headstones have been buried under those laid out flat, although these will be recorded and the information displayed in the church.

A small plaque will be displayed at 2 locations adjacent to the headstones that are visible within the grounds, to inform people that further information is held within the church regarding the headstones and burial records.

TREES

A total of 5 trees will be removed in the grounds of the church, but these will be replaced
Old 20-09-2012, 22:44   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why have they buried some of the headstones?
Old 20-09-2012, 22:58   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The answer to that is - I aint the faintest! I certainly dont agree with it. I would be really upset and annoyed if my family details on a headstone were buried under the ground!

Its ok to have information displayed in the church, but what if visitors to the town come on days when the church is not open to the public?

A total of 19 headstones are now out of sight for evermore.

Last edited by Atarah; 20-09-2012 at 23:01.
Old 20-09-2012, 23:12   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The answer to that is - I aint the faintest! I certainly dont agree with it. I would be really upset and annoyed if my family details on a headstone were buried under the ground!

Its ok to have information displayed in the church, but what if visitors to the town come on days when the church is not open to the public?

A total of 19 headstones are now out of sight for evermore.
I was thinking exactly the same as you.
Old 20-09-2012, 23:52   #69
Senior Member+

Have just found this when looking for something else (as you do!)

Its a short film on bell ringers coming to St James's Church. Not really about the improvements, but, it does show a few clips of the churchyard prior to alterations.

Old 21-09-2012, 11:25   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I am told one of the biggest problems with the previous refurb of the church yard which was done sometime in the 70's was the paths made of grave stones were very slippery.

I always found it strange that the stones were used for paths. I was always taught not to walk on graves out of respect.

It was decided and agreed by all involved that there were to many stones for them all to be visible without creating the same problems as before. The ones underground will be better preserved than those visible as they will not be affected by the weather. I believe the county archaeologist advised on the correct way to preserve them underground.

Interestingly 2 stones have been found that were buried some time ago that no one was aware of. These 2 stones are in very good condition so burying them is not a new idea.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:05   #72

Great photos Atarah. Shame the gravestones can't be displayed above ground but the place is definitely looking better. I hope they give those doors a lick of paint before they finish.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 22:30   #73
Senior Member+

I think "rain stopped play" today. When I went past late afternoon, it was raining quite heavily and no sign of any workmen.
Old 27-09-2012, 11:59   #74
Senior Member+

A few more photos here. The weather has delayed work on the site, as the workmen havent been here all week (its now Thursday and they are back).
Old 29-09-2012, 00:05   #75
Senior Member+

Workmen back after delays due to bad weather.

Work seems to be concentrating on the lower part of the grounds, nearest to the steps in Church Street.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..