Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 16:19   #1
Senior Member+

St. James Church, Church Kirk

HISTORY:
A church has been on the site since 642 AD,This church sometimes referred to as 'church Kirk' was founded by St. Oswald in 1100AD and the font also dates from around the same period.The church is famous for the stained glass windows depicting the four Evangelists (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) by the artist Burn-Jones.
The tower dates from the late medieval period, and the nave was built in 1804–05.The stained glass in the south nave windows was replaced in 1918 following damage caused by an explosion in a nearby ammunition factory .
The church is constructed in sandstone with slate roofs. In the body of the church the stone is coursed, but in the tower it is uncoursed and roughly hewn. The plan consists of a five-bay nave, a three-bay chancel, and a west tower. The tower is supported by buttresses, and has a low rectangular west door, above which is a three-light Perpendicular window. There are Perpendicular bell openings on three sides of the tower, and a clock on the fourth side.

ENJOY

4CEE1D5D-1C15-4D91-BAEB-132F5AC67C9E_zpsnb5rmh1n.jpg8B07B74B-7AEF-4FB7-B010-DF9108C344BF_zpsxzv0ko8f.jpg103AD0A1-E083-480A-B31D-8BEEB58DDCE0_zpsffgin7sr.jpgDSCF1994.jpg

DSCF2058_zps2651d4b1.jpgFCECEF8B-0627-4486-9546-1CAEDABFD8BC_zpsvk1az9jk.jpg

thumb_zps428d9fda.jpgDSCF2002.jpgDSCF2003.jpgDSCF2005.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Mick; 21-01-2014 at 06:27.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2014, 17:18   #2

Re: St. James Church, Church Kirk

I like the paintings of Burne-Jones, and now I know he designed stained glass windows too! Thanks for this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:09   #3
Senior Member+

I don't think I've ever been inside this church. I will go to see the windows. There has been a slim book about it. At one time, it was almost the only church around here and couples from far afield married here.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:12   #4
Senior Member+

The parish registers,. between 1600 & 1746/7 have been published as a CD ( Ref No 102) by the Lancashire Parish Register Society
Old 20-01-2014, 19:38   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I don't think I've ever been inside this church. I will go to see the windows. There has been a slim book about it. At one time, it was almost the only church around here and couples from far afield married here.
It's worth a look Bob,The vicar etc are very welcoming.
From what I hear the church is pretty poor as far as donations etc go (gone have the days of folk pasing away an leaving thousands to the church).
I won't tell you how much them windows could fetch if sold but believe me it wouldn't be poor for long (obviously selling the windows is a no go area).
Yes I believe folk came from far an wide to get married in this stunning church.
The belfry has certainly stood the test of time too.

password--Accyweb
Old 20-01-2014, 20:13   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
The parish registers,. between 1600 & 1746/7 have been published as a CD ( Ref No 102) by the Lancashire Parish Register Society
I indexed the Church Kirk Regs 1600 - 1805 for Jack Brogden, I'm sure its in the Library somewhere.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:35   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I indexed the Church Kirk Regs 1600 - 1805 for Jack Brogden, I'm sure its in the Library somewhere.

Jack Broderick(?) I remember him working on those of St Mary's, Altham, too..
It may be that the society haven't got round to publishing them in book form, or that Jack did them as a personal task. - ask [email protected]
Old 21-01-2014, 06:32   #8
Resting in Peace

I know the rev of this church very well as I look after his computer and broadband
have a look at these photos of one accyweb meet we had a few years ago
we where the last members of the public allowed up the tower
church walk - Accrington Photo Gallery
I would never make it to the top of the tower again with my health

Last edited by Mick; 21-01-2014 at 06:37.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 21:46   #9
Junior Member+

It's an awesome church with loads of history ,I am a keen metal detectorist and would love the opportunity to uncover some of the history in the area .
Do you think it could be possible ?
pinkpanther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther1 View Post
It's an awesome church with loads of history ,I am a keen metal detectorist and would love the opportunity to uncover some of the history in the area .
Do you think it could be possible ?
I think the chances of digging in the grounds of this church would be slim to none PP.You may however find a farmer or resident that will allow you to Persue your hobby/interest (if you do,let us know how it goes).

Does anyone know of any (hidden/secret) tunnels that lay in an around the grounds of this church? I'm pretty sure I heard a rumour about one behind the church about halfway down between the gravestones.

password--Accyweb
Old 03-02-2014, 22:46   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Jack Broderick I think you mean!?!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I think the chances of digging in the grounds of this church would be slim to none PP.You may however find a farmer or resident that will allow you to Persue your hobby/interest (if you do,let us know how it goes).

Does anyone know of any (hidden/secret) tunnels that lay in an around the grounds of this church? I'm pretty sure I heard a rumour about one behind the church about halfway down between the gravestones.
Those who believe in secret tunnels have got tunnel vision. They don't exist. Mythology. Bunkum. Am I getting my point across?
Old 04-02-2014, 13:34   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
They don't exist. Mythology. Bunkum. Am I getting my point across?
Do you know this as Fact Bob?
The person who told me is a close friend,they have No reason to lie,they seemed pretty convinced at least one does exist.Obviously I don't want to encourage folk getting out a spade an digging up the graves but it could be a good historical find (if it/they exist).

Am I getting my point across?

password--Accyweb
Old 04-02-2014, 17:25   #14

My Mum and Dad were married here in 1930,and I was christened in the font pictured in 1931. I sung in the choir for many years,and I remember the old place with great affection.
Communion at 8oclock, Morning Service at 10-30 Sunday School in the afternoon and Evensong at 6-30.Sundays were a special day then, but how things have changed.I now blame religion for a lot of the worlds problems and the only time that I ever go to Church is Births,Marriages and Deaths and only then if I have been invited. I would never enter a Church by choice.In the course of my life I have gone from one extreme to the other.Does anyone else feel like me about religion?
Balbus likes this.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 21:07   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I agree entirely Jim, n i have also gone to the other extreme. Although i do enter some churches/cathedrals to observe the architecture etc.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..