Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2012, 09:18   #136
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The Bash Street Gang.
Thought that was the AGS Class of '52
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2013, 16:33   #137
Full Member+

Was Peter Street (which no longer exists), named after the builders son or relative, or was it ever called St. Peter Street as it ran off Brown Street opposite the original St. Peter's Chapel and School where Wolstenholme Funeral Service now stands. There are not any other streets in the area with people's names.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 16:49   #138
Senior Member+

I cannot come up with a quick answer, Pifco except to say that I don't know. However, I will spend some time on it when next in the library, - later this week hopefully.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 17:57   #139
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
the original St. Peter's Chapel and School where Wolstenholme Funeral Service now stands.
I never knew St Peter's School was also a chapel? When was this and which part of the building was the chapel?
Old 07-01-2013, 18:08   #140
Senior Member+

It was common for a school to be built which incorporated a room to be used as a chapel. St Annes did the same.Educating the children was seen as very importatnt, and so a school was built before a church.
Old 07-01-2013, 18:57   #141
God Member

what was orange street named after
Old 07-01-2013, 19:55   #142
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I never knew St Peter's School was also a chapel? When was this and which part of the building was the chapel?
There are several references to St Peter's School in my WW1 files, also a mention of St Peter's Sunday School, St Peter's Church has a WW1 War Memorial. No locatiion is given for the school.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:01   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
what was orange street named after

I don't know,but 'Lime' is just across the road. I'll have a look to see if there's a possible link . It is often the case that one landowner owned the land that two streets with similar names ar built on.

In the library is a wooden filing cabinet |( unde the St James St windows) which can be referred to. Atarah started this file going.
cmonstanley likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 20:10   #144
Full Member+

St. Peter's Day School and Sunday School Chapel was opened in June 1876 the size of the building was enlarged as it was being built due to the increase in the local population, which I presume was due to Howard and Bullough's Globe works being built.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 20:27   #145
Senior Member+

Quote:
St. Peter's Day School and Sunday School Chapel was opened in June 1876 the size of the building was enlarged as it was being built due to the increase in the local population, which I presume was due to Howard and Bullough's Globe works being built.

Bullough's was only part of the enormous expansion in the town's population. In an eariler posting, I said how many new streets were laid down in this mid-to-late part of the century. Plenty of work for stonemasons and those in the building trade.
Old 07-01-2013, 21:17   #146
Super Moderator

Quote:
St. Peter's Day School and Sunday School Chapel was opened in June 1876 the size of the building was enlarged as it was being built
That could explain why it was such a strange-looking building, with sections looking like they'd been added on as an afterthought. I'm assuming that as you looked at it from the front, the section on the right, which had twin flights of steps going up to doors which had been permanently shut, was the chapel part?
Old 07-01-2013, 22:28   #147
Full Member+

I am not too sure about that but the room that was at the back of the building ie ran parallel with the back of Range Street between Eden Street and Brown Street was always known as the Chancel Room. The room behind the door at the top of the twin set of steps was divided from the other rooms by partitions that could be slid back to enable one large room to be used for dances, plays and bazaars etc. If you went in the door at the top of "the slope" which was lower down Willows Lane than the steps the classrooms that were to your left were the infant classrooms which were built out over the playground to form a sheltered part of the playground. This also added to the unusual shape of the building.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:07   #148
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not too sure about that but the room that was at the back of the building ie ran parallel with the back of Range Street between Eden Street and Brown Street was always known as the Chancel Room. The room behind the door at the top of the twin set of steps was divided from the other rooms by partitions that could be slid back to enable one large room to be used for dances, plays and bazaars etc. If you went in the door at the top of "the slope" which was lower down Willows Lane than the steps the classrooms that were to your left were the infant classrooms which were built out over the playground to form a sheltered part of the playground. This also added to the unusual shape of the building.
Seem to remember there were a few rooms along the back of the building? I don't recall the term the Chancel Room, but I'm assuming it was the staff room (got summed there a few times for a good telling off!). I remember the moveable partitions being moved back for a fair few whist drives, potato pie suppers and other such functions back in the day! A very strange building, but it has some happy memories!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17   #149
Full Member+

The Chancel Room was the room between the staff room and the cloakroom that was at the Eden Street entrance, in the mid 50's it was Mr. Dixon's room and later I think a Mrs. Nicholson took over when Mr. Dixon left.
Old 08-01-2013, 13:19   #150
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Chancel Room was the room between the staff room and the cloakroom that was at the Eden Street entrance, in the mid 50's it was Mr. Dixon's room and later I think a Mrs. Nicholson took over when Mr. Dixon left.
Right, I know which room you mean, it had big, high windows looking out over the backs of the houses on Ranger Street. When I was there, late 50's-early 60's, it was Mr Johnson's room, as Mrs Nicholson had moved to room at the front looking out over the playground.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..