Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2013, 18:50   #181
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Were they connected to Slingers butchers? When I was at the high school 1957-64 we had a teacher called Mrs Rhoda Slinger and I think her sons were the butchers. They lived in a big house on Whalley Road - looking at google streetview I think it was the RH one of the pair of tall red brick houses facing the end of Livingstone Road. She later married Sir William Cocker. See second picture down:

New Page 1

BTW any idea why that area has the name Oaklea or is it Oakleigh?
Ive just had it from the horse's mouth that the butchering family were not directly connected with the Major Slinger, the landowner referred to. They were related to the solicitors.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2013, 19:04   #182
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Ive just had it from the horse's mouth that the butchering family were not directly connected with the Major Slinger, the landowner referred to. They were related to the solicitors.
Thanks Bob, have you been buying horsemeat burgers in Tesco?
Old 23-01-2013, 19:21   #183
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks Bob, have you been buying horsemeat burgers in Tesco?
No, drinking in the Nag's Head
Old 23-01-2013, 21:07   #184
I am Banned

Quote:
Major Slinger of Rough Lee, Accrington, was a solicitor, qualified to work in the supreme court.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 17:35   #185
Full Member+

Anyone know the origins of Badge Brow and Dandy row in Ossy.?
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 23:51   #186
Senior Member+

Dandy means 'fancy' A pair of Sunday clogs would be 'dandy clogs' I hope some Ossy folk will come up with better inflammation about the whereabouts, then we can see how fancy this row was.
Old 07-02-2013, 18:59   #187
Senior Member+

Edleston St ( with a single 'd'), Spring Hill may well be named in honour of Richard Edleston, a stalwart of New Jeruisalem Church, in which he was a 'missionary' in the 1840s. Had it been a double 'd', it might have honoured Peter Eddleston, a Guardian of the Poor and member of the Local Board, who died 1877 aged 46. He was a co-founder of the Pioneer Works. It might just be that at some time in the past, their names were identical, and that a spelling error on somebody's part made them different.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14   #188
Senior Member+

Quote:
Back to street names: Foster Street is off Burnley Rd, one street down from Pennyhouse Lane/ Queens Rd. In the 1870s(?) a David Foster lived in a house at the corner Foster St & Burnley Rd., so maybe there is a connection there. The Peel family would have given the OK for the street's name, but I don't yet know what the connection with that family is.. I do know that it has nowt to do with Foster's fireplaces, Are there any Fosters in Accrington now who could throw light on this? I imagine that if there are, they will be proud to say that the street is named after their ancestor.
';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The Peels would have chosen this street name. I suspect that they would be familiar with Samuel Foster, a 'master house and church painter' employing 7 men in the town. Sam had a brother, David Foster ,who died in 1875 aged 27yrs, and it it may be the David living in Burnley Rd was his son, and may be that Sam, a wealthy man, owned the block of houses at the end of the street that bears his name. The Burnley Rd David was a taper, which was not a well-paid occupation, so he would not be able to afford a house of that standard off his wages.....I wonder if the Foster firm decorated the nearby St John's church when it was erected? In the mid-to-late 19th century there weas a fair bit of church building going on in Acc.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:24   #189
Full Member+

. I live on Westwood St and our house was was built on land owned by the Peels.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:06   #190
Senior Member+

I can't come up with an explanation at this point. A look at the census in mid-century might bring a suggestion up. Next time I'm in the library, I'll do a bit of digging. Has Atarah got any suggestions?
Old 21-03-2013, 19:34   #191
Senior Member+

I was in the library today ( forgot about Westwood St) and came across some names of streets which never got built. There's a lot of them, as well as some whose names were later altered.

On land just higher up that the Cemetery pub ( Whitaker Arms), I found a small estate - Nuttall St, Alfred St, Lion St and Northwood St. I am linking this to the pub, owned by (Alfred) Nuttall's Lion Brewery. Alfred may have lived in a house called Northwood. I shall enquire. The plans were drawn in 1902. I wonder if there was any objection by the Corportation to Nuttall St, as there already was a Robert Nuttall St up Woodnook.
Old 21-03-2013, 20:18   #192
JCB

Quote:
Edleston St ( with a single 'd'), Spring Hill may well be named in honour of Richard Edleston, a stalwart of New Jeruisalem Church, in which he was a 'missionary' in the 1840s. Had it been a double 'd', it might have honoured Peter Eddleston, a Guardian of the Poor and member of the Local Board, who died 1877 aged 46. He was a co-founder of the Pioneer Works. It might just be that at some time in the past, their names were identical, and that a spelling error on somebody's part made them different.
As you will no doubt know there was a New Jerusalem church on Fairfield St. just past the top of Edleston St. , and is now a Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:14   #193
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
As you will no doubt know there was a New Jerusalem church on Fairfield St. just past the top of Edleston St. , and is now a Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses .

Good digging JCB.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56   #194
Senior Member+

Have you got the explanation for Carter Street? John Carter ws one of the original parters of Broadley, Carter & co., Victoria Mills, Victoria St, Accrington. Carter St received its name from this gentleman.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04   #195
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Have you got the explanation for Carter Street? John Carter ws one of the original parters of Broadley, Carter & co., Victoria Mills, Victoria St, Accrington. Carter St received its name from this gentleman.
Yes. Lydia St is also linked to Carter, though I have just forgotten what it is - a family name though. I don't keep a record of the names at home, I just write them on the library's cards. Robert Cunliffe is starting to put them on a database. Maybe someone else in the Carter or Broadley fam,ly family was a Major

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..