Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 19:16   #196
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Holden St was parallel with Ormerod St and Fountain St and is now occupied by Gllebe, Medina and Jannat Closes. It was likely names after the bloke who built the houses on it - Holden Barnes (1823-81), a contractor who employed 40 men, plus two horses and their two keepers. He lived at 23 Ormerod St. He was likely named Holden after the bloke who fathered him, Henry Holden, who later married the lad's mother. It was common for streets to be named after builders - Hannibal Ramsbottom and Obadiah Booth were in that situation, and Wm (?) Waddington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2013, 20:26   #197
JCB

The top part of Holden St is still there .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:22   #198
Senior Member+

Dutton Street is named after the Blackburn brewer. He probably owned the land it is built on, as well as that in St James St where he built a pub - The Derby Arms. Likely Holme St has some connection with him too. He was a substantial donor to the building of the National School, Cannon St, in 1816
Old 21-05-2013, 20:06   #199
Senior Member+

Crossland St was laid down at the same time as nearby Charter and Corporation Sts on Jacob Lang's land. It is likely named after Henry Crossland,(1845-1905) who lived at No 2. He was a stonemason and I suspect in the employ of Jacob ( Jacob St & Lang St named after him) Towards the end of his life, he lived at 28 Buxton St, also built on Lang's land. Charter and Corporation Sts honour the incorporation of the town in 1878. The corporation yard was on Corporation St, and that is now still used by the council and county council. Crossland St is yet another example of a street being named after a builder.
Some work is being done on the index cards bearing street names in the library by putting them onto a database which will allow them all to be easily seen at one go and be available for public viewing on-line.
Old 21-05-2013, 20:15   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
As well as 'when' it would be interesting to know 'why'.

Similarly does anyone know when Cromwell Street became Cromwell Avenue and why?
Where is Cromwell Avenue? according to google maps it is Cromwell street across from the Oakleigh. Maybe the residents have changed the road sign and not told the council....LOL

Last edited by Karateman; 21-05-2013 at 20:19.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 20:35   #201
Senior Member+

Maybe in 1939 when the Accrington High School for Girls opened? Avenue sounds much more impressive for the main entrance to a school????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 21:10   #202
Senior Member+

I think Atarah is right on this HOWEVER my O.S. A-Z Lancashire Atlas shows it as STREET, though the postcode finder of Royal Mail calls it Ave. Why Cromwell though? The name was given by Rev Charles Whitaker (hence Whitaker St) who owned the land but as Cromwell was anti-CofE, it is an unusual choice. It might be linked to Marshall St, also on Whitaker land, which was on the opposite side of Whalley Rd, and Whitaker might have admired Cromwell for marshalling the troops, but this is pure conjecture. He did like to link names - Orange, Lemon and Lime, Pilot and Port were his favoured names, though not all got used. There have been other examples, such as Cobham, of streets becoming roads or avenues. The best example of snobbery is that Mary-Ann St became Milton St.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:05   #203

It may have been named after Thomas Cromwell (not Oliver) who played a large part in the schism from Rome.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:42   #204
Senior Member+

Good thinking Balbus. I have noted your comment on the library's card.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27   #205
Senior Member+

Rutland St was (is it still there?) a street whose name appeared to have no link to its neighbours. I did think it was one of a few on Peel land which referred to the name of a county. However, I am now of the opinion that is yet another street named after a politician pal of the Peel family, several of whom were politicians linked to Sir Robert but probably also known to Jonathan Peel and his Accrington branch of the family. The 6th Duke of Rutland was a Conservative MP ( as was Peel) and served under Lord Derby, PM in the 1830s and 40s, who was certainly known to our Peels.(Derby St & Stanley St refer to him) Rutland's family name was Manners. He lived 1815-88 and owned vast amount of land in Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. Just like the Peels. I think that the present-day company Peel Holdings started off as a family one.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:47   #206
Senior Member+

A pal, Robert Cunliffe, is working on making available in the library a printed list of street names to complement the card index system which has been there for some years. I anticipate it will be up and running in early July and be available in the library. It is restricted, at present, to Accrington streets, but if you can add any information on Church-Ossie-Clayton names, please do so on this thread or PM me and I will ensure the information gets into the system, both card and database. I will announce when the printed version gets into the library.

Someone recently spoke with me about Bent St, Ossie. I would like to hear from you again as to why this street is so called.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:52   #207
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was probably a description of what lives in ossy.
smobile likes this.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:27   #208

Anyone got any information as to the origins of the "Hygiene" and "Chequers" in Clayton ?
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 09:44   #209
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Anyone got any information as to the origins of the "Hygiene" and "Chequers" in Clayton ?

Interesting that these two streets aren't called street/road/row - just the name. The answer might be found in the minutes of the urban district council - if they still exist. Hygiene might be linked to laundering or bleaching.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:49   #210
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Chequers is summat i always wondered about, from when i supped in the Castle mid 60s, But then seemed to forget about after a few Pint Crystals.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..