Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 17:06   #211
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Where does Banastre (St) come from?
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2013, 18:10   #212
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Where does Banastre (St) come from?
Gosh, I had to put my thinking cap on for this street. Then I used my well thumbed Shurmers Guide - its at Altham West, off 27 Whalley Road.

Dont think I have a clue about the meaning of the street, sorry. This is all I could find, but not necessarily the correct reason.

General Sir Banastre Tarleton, 1st Baronet, GCB (21 August 1754 – 15 January 1833) was a British soldier and politician.
He is today probably best remembered for his military service during the American Revolutionary War.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:51   #213
Senior Member+

A quick answer - The Banastre family hail from the hall at Barrowford which is now a heritage centre. They ownedland and married with other local families, esp those in Altham area - the Waltons for instance. In time they became Bannisters. Sir Roger Bannister, the runner, is descended from this family.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 23:51   #214
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
A quick answer - The Banastre family hail from the hall at Barrowford which is now a heritage centre. They ownedland and married with other local families, esp those in Altham area - the Waltons for instance. In time they became Bannisters. Sir Roger Bannister, the runner, is descended from this family.
Did they emigrate to the US and live in "The Little House in the Prairie" as they already had a link with the Colony?

Thanks for the information Bob, it is where you said, just caught my eye when passing.
Old 25-03-2014, 22:37   #215
Senior Member+

Ever wondered why the Peel Park pub seems isolated? The houses around it on the top side of Alice Street are quite modern. Today in the library, I found a plan which shows that in 1901, William Peel, then head of the family and owner of the Peel Park Estate had plans drawn up for two streets of houses to run parallel with Alice Street and Durham St, across land which in just a few years would become Peel Park School and t' Stanley's pitch. They were to have been called Alfred and Joseph Streets -= doubtless there were members of his family with these names. Earlier, an Alfred Street was planned to have been built on land on the top side of the Cemetery pub (Whitaker's Arms) by the pub's owner, ALFRED Nuttall. I am starting to look at street names which either never materialised or got changed.
Old 25-03-2014, 22:57   #216
I am Banned

Quote:
Ever wondered why the Peel Park pub seems isolated? The houses around it on the top side of Alice Street are quite modern. Today in the library, I found a plan which shows that in 1901, William Peel, then head of the family and owner of the Peel Park Estate had plans drawn up for two streets of houses to run parallel with Alice Street and Durham St, across land which in just a few years would become Peel Park School and t' Stanley's pitch. They were to have been called Alfred and Joseph Streets -= doubtless there were members of his family with these names. Earlier, an Alfred Street was planned to have been built on land on the top side of the Cemetery pub (Whitaker's Arms) by the pub's owner, ALFRED Nuttall. I am starting to look at street names which either never materialised or got changed.
I have a street plan some where of Accrington dated 1863 which shows all the proposed new streets being planned, most of them were completed by 1890, there are quite a few names on it that were never used.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 08:41   #217
I am Banned

Quote:
Roger Bannister gets a mention on here Bob. I never knew he had roots in Lancs until a pal sent me the link.

Facts & Figures - Lancashire and Blackpool
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 10:40   #218

Roger Bannister's ancestor, Nicholas, was involved in the prosecution of the Lancashire Witches. RB himself was born in London and to my knowledge has never lived in Lancashire.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 15:13   #219

Apologies if it's already been posted, but anyone know where Enfield Street was in CLM ?
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 15:46   #220
Senior Member+

It became Whalley Rd, though I am unsure when
Old 16-04-2014, 20:06   #221

Cheers Bob
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 19:57   #222
Senior Member+

A new street has been born - Ron Hill Way is named in honour of the borough's latest freeman, Ron Hill, a former world record marathon runner and fantastic athlete. Ron attended Accrington Grammar school and ran for Clayton Harriers.
Old 11-07-2014, 22:05   #223
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Sorry Bob, but the name Ron Hill brings on involuntary shudders. As a young impressionable lad in the early 80's I was traumatised along with lots of other young Soldiers, who, when confronted by the Pads wives who classed "Ronnys" running pants & high heels as an exclusive fashion statement. Now, on a svelte & pretty young thing okay ..... sadly those highlighting this dubious 80's chic weren't!
Old 11-07-2014, 22:21   #224
Senior Member+

That's a very complicated posting DaveinGermany :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 22:35   #225
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
That's a very complicated posting DaveinGermany :-)
I don't do things by half Lass.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..