Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 17:35   #226
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Sorry Bob, but the name Ron Hill brings on involuntary shudders. As a young impressionable lad in the early 80's I was traumatised along with lots of other young Soldiers, who, when confronted by the Pads wives who classed "Ronnys" running pants & high heels as an exclusive fashion statement. Now, on a svelte & pretty young thing okay ..... sadly those highlighting this dubious 80's chic weren't!
Although retired by then I still made plenty of business visits to various military establishments - Often had the thought that I was glad to be away from the brown baggers.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2014, 06:09   #227
Senior Member+

Horsfall Close was named to honour 2nd Lt Basil Arthur Horsfall of the East Lancs Regt, who was awarded a posthumous VC after being killed by friendly fire in 1917 whuilst per5forming an act of great heroism.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40   #228
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Horsfall Close was named to honour 2nd Lt Basil Arthur Horsfall of the East Lancs Regt, who was awarded a posthumous VC after being killed by friendly fire in 1917 whuilst per5forming an act of great heroism.
Arthur Basil Horsfall was killed in action 27-03-1918, age 23, lived in Potwalla British Columbia, Plantation Grower. Basil was killed during an action when the enemy attacked at Ablainsville, he was amongst those ordered to withdraw, when a shell landed, his remains were never found. His name is on the Arras Memorial. His VC is in the safe at Fulwood Barracks. Where did the friendly fire bit come from.
I've been to Kew and seen his service records.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:45   #229
Senior Member+

I stand corrected. I had been told that it was friendly fire, but having re-read an item on Facebook, I see that he had earlier (1917) been wounded by friendly fire. I had confused the two
Old 04-12-2014, 11:33   #230
Senior Member+

I have always thought that Primrose St was named after the flower. However, I now believe that it was named after Archibald Primrose, Lord Dalmeny ( 1847-1929) who was Prime Minister 1894-5 and President of the Co-operative Congress in 1890. This last office is a clue to the street being named after him, as there was a Co-op grocery shop in that street
Old 04-12-2014, 19:13   #231
JCB

Quote:
I have always thought that Primrose St was named after the flower. However, I now believe that it was named after Archibald Primrose, Lord Dalmeny ( 1847-1929) who was Prime Minister 1894-5 and President of the Co-operative Congress in 1890. This last office is a clue to the street being named after him, as there was a Co-op grocery shop in that street
In 1900 the Accrington Co-operative Society had 14 houses built in Primrose Street .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:47   #232
Senior Member+

Thanks JCB This was the case in Dowry St too - and elsewhere I suspect. The board of the local society were mostly businessmen in their own right.
Old 07-12-2014, 19:38   #233
Senior Member+

Gordon Ave was originally called Gordon St - there have been several streets 'elevated' to improve their image. It was likely named after General Gordon, the hero of Khartoum, who was extremely popular in the eyes of the public. He was killed just a few years before the street was opened c 1890. Am I right in thinking that there are no houses in this street ?- one of very few if I am right, perhaps unique.
Old 07-12-2014, 20:34   #234
JCB

Quote:
Gordon Ave was originally called Gordon St - there have been several streets 'elevated' to improve their image. It was likely named after General Gordon, the hero of Khartoum, who was extremely popular in the eyes of the public. He was killed just a few years before the street was opened c 1890. Am I right in thinking that there are no houses in this street ?- one of very few if I am right, perhaps unique.
That surprises me .

I never thought there was a street there before they built the sheltered-accommodation bungalows . As far as I know there were no houses there before the bungalows .
Old 07-12-2014, 21:20   #235
Senior Member+

Gordon Avenue? Never even heard of it. Accordingly to Adrian Shurmer's guide - off Fife Street, (Southern end) and Walker Avenue (pedestrians only)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47   #236
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Gordon Avenue? Never even heard of it. Accordingly to Adrian Shurmer's guide - off Fife Street, (Southern end) and Walker Avenue (pedestrians only)
Gordon Avenue is a cul-de-sac off Fife Street and is open to traffic .

Walker Avenue is a cul-de-sac off Richmond Road , and is also open to traffic .
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17   #237
Senior Member+

A note on Walker Avenue's card in the library suggests that its name may be to honour Alfred Walker, a coach painter( of whom I know nowt) a member of whose family married a (Spring Hill) Pickup, owners of land in that area of the town.
Old 08-12-2014, 14:46   #238
Senior Member+

Alfred Walkers coach works were well famous, in Oxford Street
I know the grandson of this firm. Very interesting family.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 15:56   #239
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Alfred Walkers coach works were well famous, in Oxford Street
I know the grandson of this firm. Very interesting family.
Got it now, Atarah - I've corresponded with this grandson , who has an unusual first name
Old 14-12-2014, 20:45   #240
Senior Member+

Pearl St and Newark St run alongside each other. I have long thought that there may have been a Pearl in the Peel or the Steiner family, but I cannot find one. On the 1891 census, when these two streets first appeared, there were only 54 ladies called Pearl in England - none locally. I am enquiring with Newark Library to see if they know of any connection between the town and these two Accrington industrialists, and if a they can come up with a Pearl who might be connected. In Pearl St at that time was Pearl House, a finer house than the rest of the street. It was occupied by Henry Anderton, a steam engine and boiler maker, who in 1861 was living in Boiler House Works, Lower Antley St This might have been the same house as Pearl House, -- certainly it was nearby. Maybe the house was built on his works. More research needed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..