Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2008, 07:59   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

It's nothing like the Bond Street, London that you will be familiar with on your trips to the capital buying flash jewellery. See shurmer p13 J7 - on the Blackburn rd side of the railway linetop of Grimshaw St. Don't know if it's Dale or Lower Antley St there. I don't think there'll be any houses. If you walked around instead of riding in flashy cars and other motorised transport, you'dda known. Am so pleased I've told you summat you didn't know about Acc. Watch this space.

For the benefit of others - Atarah has contributed greatly to the card index of street names kept in the library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2008, 21:24   #32
Senior Member+

Let's get back on thread............A few more beginning with 'B'

Bolton Ave. Names after the Bolton family who owned Huncoat & other collieries. ne of them lost 2 sons in WW1 and gave thousands to Victoria Hospital

Alliance St, Bash...Probably named in recognition of the alliance with France against the Russians in the mid-to ;ate 1800s. Alliance Mill was opened in the 1870s, when the street would be new.

Barlow St...our second mayor was James Barlow. There was another James, also a councillor. sweveral of the streets in the area around sacred heart are named after early councillors

Barnes St...There have been several Barnes' was being laid out.It may be named after that family, or perhaps JKohn, the supetrintenfdent of the baptist chapel that wa son barnes St, or Henry treasurer of the Co-iop society, or Thomas, a Local Board member. I would like to think it was William who was honoured, as it was he who was the prime mover in establishing our municipal cemetery and who was the first to be buried there when it opened in 1864.
Old 23-06-2008, 21:04   #33
Senior Member+

Bath St....(near The Flat Iron) Before we got the St James' St baths, there was a swimming pool in this street. It belonged to the (Highams') Woodnook mill, and had been paid for by Eli Higham, a keen swimmer, in 1879. The building was wooden, and burnt down in 1903. and had been bought by the Corporation in 1893.

Bamford Crescent....The late Bill Turner told me that the houses had beenbuilt by a Rochdale firm, and as Bamford is near Rochdale, this may well be the reason for the name

Aitken St....clearly named in honour of the long-serving Town Clerk.

Bridge St....In early days, there was a bridge over the newly- formed ( from 2 separate streams) River Hyndburn somewhere near the Commercial pub (Regency now). It was mnetalled and paved in 1879, when the town was really moving ahead with its new Corporation status.

Bank St...Bank as in , steep ground, this lead to Heifer Bank, the site of the Post office sorting office in Infant St

Alice St...a Peel family name, as is William,Bertha & Robert and several other streets between
(roughly) St John's and St Anne's churches - land owned by the Peels

Albert St...Augusta St..Edmund,Wilfred...members of the Nuttall & Royds families, who owned the Woodnook estate which bears the families' names.
Old 23-06-2008, 21:58   #34
I am Banned

Heifer Bank is a bit further down Abbey St, it is under what used to be the old Palace Cinema at the top of Peel St.
Peel St was originally Mr Peels private road, from the bottom of Avenue Parade to St James Church.

Bank St...Bank as in , steep ground, this lead to Heifer Bank, the site of the Post office sorting office in Infant St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 22:30   #35
Resident Waffler

What about Arago Street? That's an intriguing name.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 10:08   #36
Senior Member+

My thoughts on Arago without looking things up are that it is linked to Addison & Arnold Streets, next to it and parrallel. I think all 3 were literary men/poets/essayist, though there was an Arago who was a french soldier. In 1859, a clipper, the 'Francois Arago 'was renamed 'The Accrington'. Arago St was laid down between 1871 & 78.

Bamford Crescent - Further to what I have said, I have learned that the first Baptist minister
in Acc was Rev Bamford.(1760) However, no other early Baptist ministers had streets named
after them, so this may be coincidence.
Old 24-06-2008, 13:57   #37
Junior Member+

Any info re either Chapel Street (off Adelaide St) where I lived for few of the war years (40's) with my Mother in the smallest house you've ever seen - one up, one down, small scullery with slopstone, shared outside lavatory - any idea when that was demolished? and also Crawshaw St where we lived in the fifties - demolished in 1961.
KAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 14:32   #38
Resident Waffler

I remember Crawshaw Street. Crikey I feel old now!

Old 24-06-2008, 16:48   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYJAY View Post
Any info re either Chapel Street (off Adelaide St) where I lived for few of the war years (40's) with my Mother in the smallest house you've ever seen - one up, one down, small scullery with slopstone, shared outside lavatory - any idea when that was demolished? and also Crawshaw St where we lived in the fifties - demolished in 1961.
Chapel St was named after a Calvanist Chapel that used to be on the corner with Quarry St, during the late 1940's it was a shop.

Crawhaw St, my Aunt used to live three doors up from Fitzpatricks Farriers.

Retlaw.
Old 24-06-2008, 19:27   #40
Senior Member+

Going from memory and not being able to find the refereence book I want, I think that Crawshaw was the name of a man who owned land and property in that area .Morts dance hall was one of them I think. The phrase 'Crawshaw's hall ' is coming to mind.

Walter should not have mentioned the farrier's shop as it has brought the smell of hot hooves back and I cannot get rid of it. Wonderful.
Old 24-06-2008, 19:35   #41
Resting in Peace

Just wondered if you knew where Hardman Close and Spew Spout Lane had its origins OK .... I'm going >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 20:21   #42
Senior Member+

I had to look these up in Shurmer's as I thought Katex had made them up. A bit out geographically for me.I thought she had got the wrong name for Spout House Lane

As if I haven't enough to do.........

I am about to post some more that have occurred to me.
Old 24-06-2008, 20:49   #43
Senior Member+

Carter St....Atarah tells me that Sam Priestley, son of the then owner of Woodnook Mills (later sold to Highams) married a Miss Carter from Enfield so the street, not far from the mill, may have been named for her family. I suggest that it may be named after John Carter, treasurer of the Accrington Provident Building Society when it started in 1843, and for many years a man who would have contact with builders, might be the man behind the name. Of course, the Mr & Miss Carter might have been related. Father & daughter maybe.

Belfield Rd again....Whilst I still think that the name comes from the Royds/Nuttall family home near Rochdale, there is a development, discovered by the staff in the Local
studies library.:- About 1882 there was founded a Working Men's Temperance Club in Cotton St.It soon outgrew the premises and moved to Nuttall Street, later acquiring an old chapel in Woodnook and renting land from Mr Royds for sporting purposes. The club ,football team and I believe the field were named in honour of William Bell, a temperance missionary and Band of Hope agent/lecturer. I had earlier learned that a Accrington doctor, Dr Hartley was involved with the team. His initials were J.P but in the
various censuses 1871/81/91 he is shown simply as Doctor at his home 257 Blackburn Rd, opposite where the Grammar School came to be built in 1894.

Ellison St....Clearly linked to the Ellison family who owned nearby Ellison's Tenement ( tenement simply means piece of land). Likely that the man who brought the Baptists to Accrington in 1770 and had the Macpelah Chapel built on Hyndburn Rd, close by the tenement was linked to this. John Ellison lived at Altham Hall . On 1.4.1766 the first recorded christeneing in St James;' church took place - Mally Ellison, daughter of Ralph & Martha. Assuming that this too was John's family, why did they have the child christened in an Anglican church and not the Baptist chapel? Probably because christenings could not be conducted then in Dissenting chapels - only CofE churches.
Old 24-06-2008, 21:31   #44
I am Banned

Hyndburn Rd, Accrington, originally Allom Lane, when the Baptist built their Chapel (Macpelah) nicknamed by some a Hellhome Lane, (these who wern't Baptists).
They originated from Clayton le Moors according to the late Jack Broderick.
The Bapists then moved from Hyndburn Rd to Blackburn Rd on the west side of the Viaduct, and from there to Cannon St. Now joined with Christ Church.

Retlaw.
Old 24-06-2008, 22:17   #45
Resident Waffler

Baptist don't do Christenings. Why would a Baptist family have a child Christened at all? They do full immersion baptising of adults and children old enough to understand and make a personal committment.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..