Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2008, 22:23   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, Willow, right round the corner from the young Peter Britcliffe!
no wonder ya moved away wyn
Old 28-06-2008, 20:42   #62
Senior Member+

Recently, in discussing Street Names, Crawshaw St and the blacksmith/farrier Myerscough turned up. I have just learned of a websiste which logs all Myerscoughs, so if you have Myesrcough family, have a looksee at:
www.stevensheila.co.uk/myerscough The site is based at Chorley
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 19:40   #63
Senior Member+

Any ideas about Banastre St in Clayton? Just googled it and the only ref appears to be some nasty bloodthirsty murdering type from Liverpool.
Old 20-07-2008, 21:37   #64
I am Banned

Jack Broderick who did a lot of work on the local parish registers, I think recorded it as an early spelling of Bannister.
I'll check next time I'm in the Library.
Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Any ideas about Banastre St in Clayton? Just googled it and the only ref appears to be some nasty bloodthirsty murdering type from Liverpool.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 21:48   #65

What’s Lodge Street named after, has to be a lodge I assume but I don’t see any. The obvious spot for an lodge would be the old Volvo garage on Sydney Street. Is that the case, did there used to be a lodge there ?
Old 20-07-2008, 21:58   #66
God Member

Yep there was a lodge there BB
Old 20-07-2008, 22:04   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Yep there was a lodge there BB
Dunno why, but I assumed that it was too close to the town centre to be a lodge. Was there any mills in the area...any idea when or why the lodge was drained ??
Old 20-07-2008, 22:07   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Dunno why, but I assumed that it was too close to the town centre to be a lodge. Was there any mills in the area...any idea when or why the lodge was drained ??
No idea sorry but bet some members will have
Old 20-07-2008, 22:20   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

all i can remember BB is when i was a kid there was a stonewall from bottom of lodge street along sydney st n up water st about 8 ft high n over it was just grass n uneven land, used to play there as a sprog, thats were i assume the lodge was, cos back in the day, they were all walled off like that. so it was drained before mid 50s defo.
Old 20-07-2008, 22:36   #70
God Member

Would the building where Karrimor operated from before they moved have been a mill at one time?? It just has the appearance of a mill
Old 21-07-2008, 10:49   #71
I am Banned

It was originally Walmsley's Leather Works.

Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Would the building where Karrimor operated from before they moved have been a mill at one time?? It just has the appearance of a mill
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 11:01   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
It was originally Walmsley's Leather Works.

Retlaw.
Thanks for that
Old 21-07-2008, 13:31   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
all i can remember BB is when i was a kid there was a stonewall from bottom of lodge street along sydney st n up water st about 8 ft high n over it was just grass n uneven land, used to play there as a sprog, thats were i assume the lodge was, cos back in the day, they were all walled off like that. so it was drained before mid 50s defo.
i seem to think the lodge was a little bit higher up cashy
was it not opposite and slightly higher up than sydney st club ?
always remembered a rough plot of land around there, when i was a lad
lived in lodge st early fifties

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35   #74
Senior Member+

Banastre St : I feel sure this will ghave some connection with the family of Banastre which became Bannister whose main residences wwere at Barrowford and Trawden. The 4minute miler Roger Bannister is descended from them. They were big landowners.

Lodge St: The 1909 OS map shows two reservoirs in the Sydney/Water/Lodg streets triangle. Water and lodge go 'well' ( excuse that) together, and I suspect that before there was building there, streams flowed down the area from the Coppice. At the bottom of Burnley rd where it meets Whalley rd there was a public well. The lodges would likely be used by Melbourne Mill , Heifer Bank Mill and Park Mill. Mill Street and Park Street probably owe their names to the building of these mills. There is a note on streams flowing off the Coppice in a book on the history of Accrington Corporation waterworks. Bob Dobson
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:27   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am very interested in the reasons behind our street names. There is a card index file in the library ( Atarah has done a lot of work on this)

My question now isn't a 'reasons' one, I want to know when Lime Street became Lime Road. It was sometime between 1930 and 1950.
Hello Bob, You don't know me, but I would like to ask you about a particular tunnel, that was used to allow the safe passage of monks, from Accrington to Whalley. My dad Malcolm Pilling (Brother of Kevin, and son of Raymond. Remember him/them? He speaks highly of you.) told me you would be the man to ask. I believe a greater force than serendipity is at work here, as I found you on this site, quite by chance. Dad still lives in Accrington, and says hello! PS, I am facinated by the many tunnels that exist under Church and Accrington I used to play in some of them as a child in the 70s. Cheers Bob. Wayne Pilling, aka Rolling Nome.
Rolling Nome is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..