Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2010, 09:29   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Street Names

We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2010, 09:33   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall...
Very true, and Cattle-'ole street, in Ozzle-twistle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:41   #93
JCB

Quote:
Always amused me when presenters on Radio, etc., pronounced Whalley as Wally.
Yes , and there's Whalley Range in Manchester , pronounced as we pronounce Whalley , and it never gets Wally Range .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 16:00   #94
Senior Member+

Dont forget backup
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 19:32   #95

Smile Re: Street Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.
Thanks very much, Retlaw.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 09:09   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Its not if you've lived in the Valley Kate
Old 30-10-2010, 09:10   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Dont forget backup
I've worked there walkinman and I don't want to remember it
Old 30-10-2010, 11:28   #98
Senior Member+

Thanks for all the replies regarding my query on the where abouts of The Slaters Arms.
I am still not 100% sure but was it next to where George Clarke's new (but now closed) motorcyle shop is. I seem to remember a paper shop there at some time.
I was working away all over the country for 30 years and my time in Accrington centre was a bit hazy to say the least. I blame the Horseshoe, Royal Oak, Old House, New Brewery, Broadway,Top Club and plenty more establishments who were there to sooth a troubled brow plus the Famous Grouse and my weak will.
Old 30-10-2010, 11:32   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

apart from top club, used to frequent all those boozers in the 60s if twas then our paths musta crossed.
Old 30-10-2010, 12:09   #100
Senior Member+

Street Names

Hi, hope this helps. This was taken from an upstairs room across the way. The Slaters Arms would have been sited NEXT to what you possibly remember as a newsagents for years, then it became part of Clarksons Bikes, in other words it would have been at the top of what we know as Broadway (but in those days t'was Marquis Street). The Slaters Arms was demolished c.1934, to make way for Broadway, and if you look closely at the top of the building, you can see where the pub would have been attached. The Hope and Anchor pub is at the other side of the shop premises.
Hope this helps a little, but you are possibly far too young to remember the pub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg march27th2009.jpg (248.8 KB, 44 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 12:16   #101
Senior Member+

Street Names

This may help to give you more of an idea. Catlows, as we knew it, would have been at the L.H. corner of the photo, i.e. top of what we know as Broadway, the Slaters Arms would have been at the opposite corner i.e. also top of Broadway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930sview.JPG (201.8 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 30-10-2010 at 12:19.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 12:26   #102
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
This may help to give you more of an idea. Catlows, as we knew it, would have been at the L.H. corner of the photo, i.e. top of what we know as Broadway, the Slaters Arms would have been at the opposite corner i.e. also top of Broadway.
And attached is then street plan again.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accrington 1909a.jpg (464.9 KB, 43 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 12:56   #103
Resting in Peace

Are there any 'photos of the Spring Mill anywhere ? Just can't imagine such a big factory and the Brass Foundry too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 14:20   #104
Senior Member+

Well at last I can say I know where the Slaters was. Much before my time I am sure.
The old cobble street looks a right good place to get your self black and blue with rolling down it after a few pints. Not to mention black and blue from the shady characters who would probably frequent the place.
Old 15-12-2010, 20:51   #105
Senior Member+

Back to the reasons for streets being called what they are :- Can anyone come up with why Lydia St is so called? I think I have the answer, but want to consult before declaring it

Marsden St is said to be named after a local family.(1870s) Do we know owt about 'em?

I read an intersting statistic recently - Between 1850 and 1856 there were 62 new streets laid out in Accrington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..