Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2011, 08:17   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Street Names

Lister Street is one named by Frederick Steiner and is one which shows his family links to the Lister family of Gisburn, one of whom was Baron Ribblesdale. I don't know what the exact relationship was, but I've just learned that, through it, Accrington may have a link to the census system. Thomas Henry Lister (1800-42) was the first Registrar General, and responsible for bringing in our system of civil registration of births, marriages & deaths. . He was also a famed novelist.Apparently, he had 'appalling handwriting'. His brother was the baron.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2011, 08:21   #122
Senior Member+

Hmmmm, not too sure about the Lister explanation there Bob. Let me have a think. Something ringing a bell that the connection was something to do with the family solicitors????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:25   #123
Senior Member+

There is certainly a family connection , but, as always, what cannot bew proved is that Steiner ( nwho owned the land) did name the strteet in honour of that connection. ( I merely suggest that he could have done)

Steiner's grandson, James Frederick Maximilian Hartman ( the family had dropped the second letter n at the end) married the daughter of Sir Thomas Villiers Lister of the Foreign Office.
Old 22-06-2011, 19:33   #124
Senior Member+

Someone is after finding out how EAGLE STREET in Accrington was so named. Anyone any ideas?
Old 22-06-2011, 19:45   #125
God Member

Remind me - where is Eagle Street? And what are the names of the adjacent streets?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:53   #126
Senior Member+

Down by the railway station, Cannon Street is off, then Willow Street nearby, THE RAILWAY PUB AT THE BOTTOM tee hee
Old 22-06-2011, 20:15   #127
Full Member+

Maybe to commemorate the capture of a French eagle during the Napoleonic wars?
Probabily not the reason but it would make a good story.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:37   #128
Senior Member+

Retlaw thinks that the Railway pub was previously called the Spread Eagle. If this were so,then it is easy to link the street name with the pub, and vice versa. It is a possiblity but there is no evidence other than what a census enumerator wrote, to prove the pub's change of name.Thwaites' brewery have failed to respond fully to a request for the deeds to be examined. Equally so, the Spread Eagle pub further along Blackburn Rd has not produced deeds either. It is a question which is going to take a long time to resolve.It would be most unusual for a pub's name to be changed so early in its life, but if the Thwaites family owned land by the railway station before it was built, then they would have influence in the choice of street names. They owned several pubs between the Town Hall and the railway viaduct, thus excluding other breweries.

I have no other suggestions as to why the name was used.

There are Eagle Streets in Blackburn, Nelson & Ossie.
Old 07-10-2011, 18:37   #129
Senior Member+

Union Rd, Ossie was previously ( I don't know when the change was made) called Warren Lane. I have long thought this was related to rabbit warrens, but I now suspect it had summat to do with the Warren Family, who were Lords of Lower Darwen and held lots of land. I have not yet got them connected with any Ossie land, but it is a possibility. I cannot put my hand on David Hogg's books, which might tell me.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18   #130
Senior Member+

I suspect that Monk Street, off Blackburn Rd next to Park Rd & Princess St, is named in honour of William Monk, a leading Methodist in the town and one of the founders of the Mechanics Instituite. He was a self-employed tailor and it may be that he was Frederick Steiner's tailor. Steiner was responsible for the naming of most of the streets between the Church boundary and Frederick St, including Steiner St. as he owned all that land on that side of Blackburn Rd. Most of those streets have been mentioned in earlier postings.

Up Bash, Scott Ave is named in honour of George Scott, who farmed White Croft Farm, where the street is. He got planning permission in 1922. Nearby is Hurstead St, named after Hurstead Farm, Bash, also owned by the Scott family.

As previously mentioned, some streets have been re-named: Poulton Avenue was Moss St until 1925.

Up Bash, there is Haworth St , & Halliwell St. I have long thought that it was Haworth because it overlooked Haworth Park, but I have learned that planning permission for the street was granted to a B Haworth in 1932. Who was he? Likewise, who was J Halliwell, a builder (?) who laid out Halliwell St ?
Old 02-02-2012, 13:22   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I suspect that Monk Street, off Blackburn Rd next to Park Rd & Princess St, is named in honour of William Monk, a leading Methodist in the town and one of the founders of the Mechanics Instituite. He was a self-employed tailor and it may be that he was Frederick Steiner's tailor. Steiner was responsible for the naming of most of the streets between the Church boundary and Frederick St, including Steiner St. as he owned all that land on that side of Blackburn Rd. Most of those streets have been mentioned in earlier postings.

Up Bash, Scott Ave is named in honour of George Scott, who farmed White Croft Farm, where the street is. He got planning permission in 1922. Nearby is Hurstead St, named after Hurstead Farm, Bash, also owned by the Scott family.

As previously mentioned, some streets have been re-named: Poulton Avenue was Moss St until 1925.

Up Bash, there is Haworth St , & Halliwell St. I have long thought that it was Haworth because it overlooked Haworth Park, but I have learned that planning permission for the street was granted to a B Haworth in 1932. Who was he? Likewise, who was J Halliwell, a builder (?) who laid out Halliwell St ?
.................................................. ......................

The above should read Haworth AVENUE Thank goodness I spotted it before Atarah got onto me.
Old 02-02-2012, 14:47   #132
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
.................................................. ......................

The above should read Haworth AVENUE Thank goodness I spotted it before Atarah got onto me.
She'l still get thi because thar associating it With the
HOwArth Park.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 20:17   #133
Senior Member+

Now for a street name with Accrington connections but not in Accrington :- In Blackpool there is a Yeadon Way, in Chorley there's a Yeadon Grove and in Skelmersdale there's 'Yeadon' -nowt follows it. These are all named after Accringtonian Harry Yeadon, an Accrington Grammar Schol lad now in his 80s who became Lancashire county's chief surveyor and bridgemaster, a post in which he succeeded Sir James Drake, another AGSOB.
Old 14-12-2012, 20:59   #134
Senior Member+

Let's walk up Burnley Rd from the bottom.....Bradshaw St East is probably named after Aaron Bradshaw, a consulting engineer born up Stanhill who died 1899 aged 57. He was Briiliant. Amongst other things, he supervised the sinking of Scaitcliffe Pit, worked for Steiner and was on the first town council. His connection with Steiner is why there is a Bradshaw St in Church and a Bradshaw St West near to it, just over the border at the bottom of India St. Atarah tells me that he had a fine house, which he built, at the bottom of Willows Lane. Atarah is due credit for her work on our street names.

Next on the left is Arnold St, named after Arthur Arnold, a Salford MP, who in the 1860s gave assistance, probably to the Peels, which helped the development/improvement of Accrington.Unusually, there is some documentary evidence of this 'reward' - he referred to it in a speech in Accrington c 1884.

Next comes Addison St. I am now of a mind that this has nowt to do with an English man of letters of that name, but may have summat to do with a John Addison, works manager at Broad Oak. He lived in a fine house up Hollins Lane but I cannot find out much more about him. The Peels often rewarded local men with the honour of a street name.
Old 16-12-2012, 09:21   #135
Senior Member+

The city fathers in Dundee, where the Beano and Dandy were published, have announced that they are naming a new street as Bash St in the Beano's honour.There wil be a children's playschool in it,so those attending will be in The Bash Street Gang.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..