Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 08:34   #1
Senior Member+

Taywil's, Clayton

Please can anyone tell me when Taylor & Wilson's (Taywil) in Clayton finished production, and in what circumstances. What has happed to their Atlas works.? I need the info for a book ('Accrington Accclaimed')I am writing/publishing.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22   #2

Re: Taywil's, Clayton

I used to live up from Taywils at number 19 Blackburn Rd, It Closed around 1962-3, the front of the building was demolished to make way for the new motorway, but the back part is still there, I have a photo of a barge going past Taywils, Circa 1963.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 10:30   #3

I remember tayler and wilson being manufacturers of wringer frames.A few year back i saw one at a junk fair, TAYWIL moulded into the frame,too heavy to take home. John Marsland a director of R.G.S. had some early connection with them. Whiticker Brothers[PIONEER WORKS] made rollers for them, Ithink?
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:32   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Please can anyone tell me when Taylor & Wilson's (Taywil) in Clayton finished production, and in what circumstances. What has happed to their Atlas works.? I need the info for a book ('Accrington Accclaimed')I am writing/publishing.
I believe that atlas works was taken over by Blakes Pumps and later Allspeeds a manufacturer of stepless gears....One of Blakes pumps I understand is still working in the Taj Mahal.?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 20:45   #5
God Member

I got that wrong...that was Royal Mill Atlas Road..
Try this: Accolade Logistics, BB5 5LL: get details and add your opinion on BView

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 22:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I believe that atlas works was taken over by Blakes Pumps and later Allspeeds a manufacturer of stepless gears....One of Blakes pumps I understand is still working in the Taj Mahal.?

Sorry to be pedantic but it was Royal Mill, Atlas Street and was taken over round about 1960 by Allspeeds - I was an engineering apprentice with them. John Blake Pumps remained at the Oakenshaw works down Lower Barnes Street along with Blakes Vitreous Enamelling (coloured glass melted onto sheet metal). The Taj Mahal pumps you mention were John Blakes Hydram Pumps which were driven entirely by the pressure generated by a head of water - they were motorless.
Old 11-11-2009, 21:05   #7

I'm interested in the Pioneer Works Accrington.
Does any one have any information relating to its history, people associated with it etc?
Accringtonvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12   #8
Senior Member+

The Pioneer story starts in 1886with 3 Whittaker brothers: John, Henry & William from Moss End Farm, on Hameldon.They started on land between Arnold st and the railway, later acquiring land in Horne St. Their imposing building went up in 1930. Mangles, washing machines & stepladders were their top products. They supplied other manufacturers with rubber wringers. Duruing the wars they made military hardware. Lack of investment and competition from the big boys saw them off, closure coming in 1963.

There is a 2 page essay on the frm in my book 'An Accrington Mixture'. PM me if you struggle to borrow a coopy from your library.
Old 12-11-2009, 19:50   #9
Senior Member+

Pioneer Works

Hi, here is a photo of the old Pioneer Works - Horne St area of town.

Think I took this a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pioneer.jpg (75.9 KB, 32 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:40   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Became "E.J.Rileys" much later, george best actually gave me a lift yon, was after a snooker table he said.
Old 10-01-2010, 17:47   #11

Taywil
Has anyone got any knowledge of the Taylor family,and when Taylor became part of Taywil.even a forename would be appreciated
shirleydignam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 18:28   #12
Senior Member+

One of the 3 initial directors was William Edward Taylor. Taylor died in 1883 aged 50yrs. He was a fiery politician - read about him in 'Accrington Chronology & Men of Mark' You can read a little more in 'Accrington Acclaimed' by Geoff Taylor & Bob Dobson. If you will PM me with your address, I will email you summat. Somewhere I have more notes and will post when I find them.
Old 10-01-2010, 18:54   #13
Senior Member+

Had a look at my notes.....Sarah, one of the ten children of George Whittaker of the Pioneer Works, Horne St, married Taylor of Taywil. Another (Pioneer) Whittaker, Thomas, was also involved with Taywil.

I am going to post a thread about Whittakers.
Old 11-01-2010, 15:06   #14

News of the Taylors was reallly helpful.Info of anything else especially circa1910 would be great.many thanks
shirleydignam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 11:10   #15

Bob. Have a Taywil Mangle in perfect condition, almost as it came out of works and still has printed instructions on the wooden boards. Worth calling to have a look. Need to see you anyway. Frank Sanderson, Crooklands, Kendal.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..