Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 19:51   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

What great photo,s and memories everyone has. I used to go to the butchers on Grange St for a sheeps head for my granny on Friday for her tea. Anyone remember the Cotton club on Cotton St, we went there as kids on Saturday night, there was a room for us to gather while the "grown ups" played housy housy.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2009, 22:32   #47
Senior Member+

Hi Taggy, no, am not mistaken. We used to go to Woodnook St Mary's for Sunday School lessons, honest! And then we also used the Church Hall, now flats as you say, for other things as well, pantomines and jumble sales etc.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:24   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Taggy, no, am not mistaken. We used to go to Woodnook St Mary's for Sunday School lessons, honest! And then we also used the Church Hall, now flats as you say, for other things as well, pantomines and jumble sales etc.
What years was this Atarah? I can only assume it was before i went there, have spoken to Magpie and she cant recall the Sunday school there either. They did have joined wooden desks, but they wer'nt around the edge of the room, they were set out in rows facing the blackboards. Mr Bartons class had small partitions dividing the room off, and there was another classroom divided by large floor to ceiling partitions which could also be rolled back. That room was used by Mr Phillips, Mr Clegg then Mr Whalley.

Was it Justin Wenter who used to take the school or not? He was the Vicar at Christ Church when i was born, in fact he Christened me! He used to like a drink or two i was told, apparently he stunk of drink at my Christening!!....This might explain something!!! LOL!! His daughter Vicky was later on a Stewardess at the Canine Club. George Storey took over at Christ Church after him....another vicar who loved a drop or two!!!

I also recall the club on Cotton Street, or Cotton Street Mission as i think it was called. I'm scratching my head trying to recall the name of the couple that ran it. They lived next door to my Gran on Belfield road, he was called Jim and was a Major in the Army.

Best Regards - Taggy

Ahh....just remembered there names Major and Mrs Jim Connor! There was also an old lady who used to help there called Mary Lyon.

Last edited by Taggy; 05-03-2009 at 18:27.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 22:06   #49
I am Banned

One of my Fire Brigade collection.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire Brigade Demo..jpg (142.3 KB, 34 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 00:26   #50
Senior Member+

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Old view of Cotton Street School, all I can find at the moment

Re Woodnook St Mary's as a Sunday School. Think I have mentioned this before, but this is one of the few hymns which sticks in my mind from my childhood days ....."Dropping, dropping, dropping, dropping, hear the pennies fall. They belong to Jesus, he shall have them all". This we sang as someone went round with the collection Plate - a wooden box on the end of a "stick".

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sundayschoolprocessioncottonstreet2.JPG (17.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 06-03-2009 at 00:29.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 00:22   #51

Hey Everyone,
I used to live on wellington street ,then on royds street and finally on higher antley street, I also went to Wood Nook St Marys from about 1966-1970. Wnder if Anyone Remembers Me?
Shaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 00:36   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I grew up on Riley's Hill...went to the Wesley Methodist Church and sunday school.......can remember many of the places being talked about..... a lot of them were where we played out.
I remember Rev Wenter, and the Mc Cartney family......my dear old Gran used to come over from Sheffield and would stop off to have a glass of beer in the Star....and another on in the Britt....and was half kettled by the time she got to our house.

Ma still lives on Riley's Hill.
Hey ya ,
Are you one of the Duxburys , i remember coming to your house sometimes when i was little, used to be mates with your John.My names Shaf , have a older brother Imtiaz, Sister Yasmin, ANd younger Brother Shaz.Seems like a life time ago. See Ya.
Shaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:25   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaf View Post
Hey ya ,
Are you one of the Duxburys , i remember coming to your house sometimes when i was little, used to be mates with your John.My names Shaf , have a older brother Imtiaz, Sister Yasmin, ANd younger Brother Shaz.Seems like a life time ago. See Ya.
hi shaf, micks n owd mate of mine aint seen him fer about 12 months though.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:33   #54
Beacon of light

Yes, but I had moved out by the time you visited my brothers.......I married in 1966 and moved to foreign places.......Clayton.
And yes Cashy......Mick duxbury is my younger brother.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:41   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yes, but I had moved out by the time you visited my brothers.......I married in 1966 and moved to foreign places.......Clayton.
And yes Cashy......Mick duxbury is my younger brother.
Bloody hell, aint that a turn up, we bin mates since 60s, small world,
Old 28-12-2009, 11:40   #56
Beacon of light

It is a small world Cashy......next news, we'll be related
Old 28-12-2009, 14:35   #57
God Member

Quote:
It is a small world Cashy......next news, we'll be related

Posted via Mobile Device now that would be scary! Headlines in accy observer Margaret p blogger extraordinaire related to cashy ... Ok it aint the over 18s ....
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 14:55   #58
Beacon of light

Hey Jen....I didn't know I was blogger extraordinaire.......I'll have to get my doors widened now
Old 28-12-2009, 15:02   #59
God Member

Quote:
Hey Jen....I didn't know I was blogger extraordinaire.......I'll have to get my doors widened now

Posted via Mobile Device why would yr doors have to be widened? You've not put that much weight on over christmas have you? margaret your blogs are brill ... Just keep doing them please :-)
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 15:24   #60
Beacon of light

No Jen......haven't had no naughty stuff...no trifle....no cake....no alcohol.
I'm thinking of becoming a nun.......I ain't had nun, I'm not getting nun and I don't want nun.

Glad you like the blogs though.......I have to say that I have run out of steam a bit of late.......going out right now for a bucket of coal.

And to the mods......sorry for the thread wander.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..