Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 16:20   #16

Re: The Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyphil View Post
So , any ideas on what the slab might have been used for since any barrage balloons were mounted on wagons.
Could it have been an Anti-Aircraft placement from WWII??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2009, 17:03   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Could it have been an Anti-Aircraft placement from WWII??
Frst of all how big is it, anti aircraft mountings were 12 ft in diameter or more and circular.

There was one shown on TV, last nights Railway Walks, that appeared to be 20 ft in diam.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:13   #18
Junior Member+

Its good when you have memories like the farmhouse , they will always pop in your head now and then.
stanleyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:16   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i used to be one of the mugs that carried it up yon late 60s early 70s, was not easy.
Bet those nails hurt too Cashy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyphil View Post
So , any ideas on what the slab might have been used for since any barrage balloons were mounted on wagons. Off topic , who used to own the 'haunted farmhouse' which used to be where the bypass is just up from the lodges. Always remember playing up there.
Glad I didn't know that when I was little Phil .. would never have gone near it ... who haunted it then ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:19   #20
jg
Junior Member+

I used to walk along the road towards the 'Coppice'when I was a little boy.I add this as a matter of interest (mainly to me I suppose.)
I remember at the top there was a block of stone which I discovered was a ordnance
survey marker.
At the time I was living at 144 Whalley road,just below the Victoria hospital.Is it still there?
By the way,my name is Jack Petty;anyone remember the name?
jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:25   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg View Post
I remember at the top there was a block of stone which I discovered was a ordnance
survey marker.
At the time I was living at 144 Whalley road,just below the Victoria hospital.Is it still there?
Do you mean the ordnance survey marker JG (yes, still there) or 144, Whalley Road ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:42   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bet those nails hurt too Cashy ....
have a joke about them, but ya will have to wait fer meet.
Old 08-04-2009, 19:41   #23

a barrage ballon site was based on fairfield street during the war with the wind in the right direction it hovered over the fern gore estate
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I see your spy has alerted you to the thread.

Do you mean the attached piece of toilet paper.
Everyone keeps on about the Coppice and this clown is on Moleside. Which is it going to be.

Firstly the weather was bad in January 1915.
The pals had just been kitted out with their new uniforms and equipment.
Two or three companies, there are 250 men to a company, so he talking in excess of 500 men.
Another load of bull, their not going to be allowed to ruin new uniforms, and where did all the picks and shovels come from, even Bridges Ironmongers would'nt have enough stock, nor would Harwood have the cash to buy them. Another thing, apart from A & B companies C & D companies had never met, nor had all the companies ever trained together. Also recruiting was still taking place for E Company.
Then the so called reporter goes on about men in training at Southport not having rifles, he's doing a lot of flitting about, First he's on about Moleside (whats he doing up there) next he's interviewing a man stationed in Southport.
I suppose all this twaddle sells newspapers, and the old reporters motto never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Reads like one of Ainsworth's fictonal tales.

I don't believe in the tale that the moon is made of green cheese, do you.
Father Christmas is a myth as well.

Another of your clangers Tom Catterall never had the number 65599 that is crossed out, do your job properly.

Retlaw.
Not sure who the mythical spy is meant to be, but I can find my own way to the Heritage and History section once in a while.

Let's go along for a moment with the notion that the Gazette reporter imagined seeing the Pals digging trenches. Here's Bill Turner writing in 'Accrington Pals Trail' about the Coppice (page 144): "The flat top of the hill was the scene, in 1914 and 1915, of Company manoeuvres. Evidence of trench digging still remains."

Alphaeus Casey's diary - he was with the Sheffield City Battalion - mentions trench digging in January 1915, but maybe the weather was better in Yorkshire.
Sheffield City Battalion | Alphaeus Casey's Diary | January 1915

Thanks for the note on Tom Catterall but the Medal Rolls don't agree with you. I guess the number 65599 on his service record was crossed out when he moved to the West Riding Regt. and was allocated a fresh number.

Kind regards, Andrew
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 20:27   #25
I am Banned

Let's go along for a moment with the notion that the Gazette reporter imagined seeing the Pals digging trenches. Here's Bill Turner writing in 'Accrington Pals Trail' about the Coppice (page 144): "The flat top of the hill was the scene, in 1914 and 1915, of Company manoeuvres. Evidence of trench digging still remains."

Bill Turner always regretted that sentence, he was relying on other peoples memories who were not around when the original "Pals" were still alive, and he later said they were nothing to do with the "Pals".
Bill & I met several of those old timers, I have copies of their memoirs, not one of them mentions trenches until the got to Egypt, and more so in France. We went to France and Harry Kay came with us, showed us where he got his blighty one.

Thanks for the note on Tom Catterall but the Medal Rolls don't agree with you. I guess the number 65599 on his service record was crossed out when he moved to the West Riding Regt. and was allocated a fresh number.

Just type in the number, and you will find 65599 was issued to some one else. NO TWO MEN can have the same number in a regiment.

But then, it took you close on 18 months to discover that Barrett T.S., on Accy War Memorial was spelt wrong, and you still have'nt found the others that are shown twice.

Retlaw.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:07   #26

Here's my final posting on this thread.

Regarding the trenches. Officers and NCOs of the Pals would have been well aware of the importance of trenches. The Boers had made extensive use of them in South Africa, the Modder River in November 1899 being just one example. Instructions on trench digging - with diagrams - were given in the Field Service Pocket Book issued by the War Office in 1914. Sheffield's Pals battalion certainly dug trenches on the other side of the Pennines in the winter of 1914/1915. We have an eyewitness account of the Pals digging trenches on Moleside in January 1915, and from other reports both in the Gazette and the Observer they almost certainly dug on the Coppice as well. It may be that all the trenches were filled in after the war.

As for Tom Catterall, I can only suggest again that you look at the Medal Rolls. It sounds from your reply as if you're using one or other of the Index Card collections on the web.

I guess I know some, maybe all, of the names on the War Memorial that are duplicated. I can't prove they're duplicates though. Maybe you can?

I wish you a happy Easter, Walter. You and I both want to keep alive the memory of the Pals, and the greater number from Accrington that gave their lives while serving with other units. I do it through a website which is available to all, you have your own methods. There are a number of us in Accrington, Burnley and Chorley who share information. We recognise that each of us can make mistakes, check the original records and come to the right answer. You are always welcome to join us.

Kind regards, Andrew

The Accrington Pals
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:21   #27
I am Banned

[quote=Andrew Jackson;702945]Here's my final posting on this thread.

Regarding the trenches. Officers and NCOs of the Pals would have been well aware of the importance of trenches. The Boers had made extensive use of them in South Africa, the Modder River in November 1899 being just one example.

Do you mean the one attached.

Fine example of trench building.

I wish you a happy Easter, Walter.

Happy Easter be buggered I did'nt know it was Easter, till I got to the library, it was shut. So I'm not happy.

As for joining your group I don't think so, you would just love to get your hands on all Bills and my work. I'll burn it first.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpionKop2.jpg (50.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-04-2009 at 12:24.
Old 10-04-2009, 14:15   #28
Member.

I’m quite distressed at that comment Walter; (if I may call you Walter) At least 10 of my relatives including 3 Great Grandfathers served in the Great War as did great uncles and distant cousins at least 3 of them served with the Pal’s as did the Yorkshire contingent of the family.

When you do kark it I really do hope and trust that your work and that of those before you is passed on to someone who will care for it and preserve it for future generations, after all both you and Andrew or only custodians of something that bears the breath and fabric of at least 3 generations of our own people irrespective of whether they served with the few who made that sacrifice. I say a few because many more local lads served and died with many other regiments as you know.

I’m sorry you can’t see eye to eye because you both have the respect and gratitude of many people the world over.

Think on; you are the custodians of our heritage and words like “I’ll burn it first” hurt. You should know better to Andrew.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 14:39   #29
God Member

I'm afraid I don't understand why there is the argument - surely if you shared information then the correct information would be out there in the public forum.

When you do research into something it shouldn't be saved, it should be put out there so that we all understand the history of the place.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 14:42   #30
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand why there is the argument - surely if you shared information then the correct information would be out there in the public forum.

When you do research into something it shouldn't be saved, it should be put out there so that we all understand the history of the place.

Exactly...........

(I love you Gayle Knight)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..