Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 14:54   #31

Re: The Coppice

I'm only going to be 40 this year but I am very interested in our local heritage from both WW periods and for the life in me I cannot understand why two grown men in this day and age can't find a happy medium. Everybody has differences of opinion on wether an opinion is correct or not but surely working together to iron out the creases is the best way?? Both lay your cards on the table and see what you arrive at....

It is also hardly fitting at a time like this to be arguing over trivial matters - WW1 veteran dies aged 108

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2009, 15:28   #32
I am Banned

I’m quite distressed at that comment Walter; (if I may call you Walter) You can call me what you want, I usually answer to ugly bastard

At least 10 of my relatives including 3 Great Grandfathers served in the Great War as did great uncles and distant cousins at least 3 of them served with the Pal’s as did the Yorkshire contingent of the family.

When you do kark ??????? it I really do hope and trust that your work and that of those before you is passed on to someone who will care for it and preserve it for future generations, after all both you and Andrew or only custodians of something that bears the breath and fabric of at least 3 generations of our own people irrespective of whether they served with the few who made that sacrifice. I say a few because many more local lads served and died with many other regiments as you know.

I've been collating all this information for years, and spent 100's of hours in libraries and public record offices. Apart from sources of information which have now been either lost or destroyed, I am not the custodian, I just want to get it all together for my own satisfaction, if I can help people to find a long lost relative OK, but I'll be dammed it I will let Jackson have it. Most of the information is still out there in libraries and record offices. It just needs knowledge to find it.

William Turner beore he died, gave me his computer & left all his collection to me and the library, with a proviso certain persons could not have access.

I’m sorry you can’t see eye to eye because you both have the respect and gratitude of many people the world over.

I'm not interested in so called prestige of having a web site, just so some bone idle gits can rip off my work.

I met one of those in the library some years back, I had collected a lot of Accrringon's history in a lap top, when lap tops were like 1/2 dozen house bricks. This little git found out what I was doing and started pestering me for it, I got fed up with him so I said watch this C:\ Format
wiped the hard drive in front of him, he was livid, told him to f off, I knew what his game was, I do all the work and he gets all the credit.

I am quite capable of doing it again, if I thought he would get his hands on it.

Retlaw.

Think on; you are the custodians of our heritage and words like “I’ll burn it first” hurt. You should know better to Andrew.[/quote]
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 15:39   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand why there is the argument - surely if you shared information then the correct information would be out there in the public forum.

When you do research into something it shouldn't be saved, it should be put out there so that we all understand the history of the place.
I'm doing this because I want to, I can do with it as I please.
If you want to understand the history of the place, why don't look for it, instead of relying on others to do it for you.

Retlaw.
Old 10-04-2009, 16:48   #34

I'm so sorry you feel that way Retlaw. You have provided me with info and I have reciprocated with some photo's - and I thanked you at the time for that.
If everybody was able to spend the time searching for things like what you do then there are a lot of other things that wouldn't be done.

I am a walk leader for Hyndburn Ramblers, I am on the committee too, but if I had the attitude you seem to take then I would be saying "If you want a walk in the country go yourself, why should I lead?". I lead because I know others don't have the confidence to do so or maybe they can't read a map so don't know how to follow paths. It is all my choice to volunteer to help them enjoy something they would otherwise be ignorant of.

Maybe some people don't understand search criteria on the web - it can get confusing. Maybe when they look at some websites the amount of info is so confusing they just don't understand what they need to do.

If you are able to help those who can't do it by themselves then I think you should seriously think about doing so. If, like you say, you would rather destroy valuable information collated together in one place just for the sake that you don't uphold a difference of opinion then I think it is very small-minded and selfish of you.
If, like you say, the information is already out there then you are indeed to be commended for your efforts and I, for one, would be one of the first to do so. There are a hell of a lot of people who would love to be able to do this type of thing but cannot do so for innumerable reasons.

I have already stated that I personally think your attitude to destroy the work is wrong and seriously hope you have a change of heart. The subject matter is surely the one that should make you see that life is too short for vendetta's. They lead to Wars....

Last edited by churchman phil; 10-04-2009 at 16:50. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2009, 17:40   #35
I am Banned

[Maybe some people don't understand search criteria on the web - it can get confusing. Maybe when they look at some websites the amount of info is so confusing they just don't understand what they need to do.
--------------
Thats just it WEB sites, every body rushing to have a website, no matter whether the info is correct or not.
I've seen a lot of tripe about WW1 on the web.

If you are able to help those who can't do it by themselves then I think you should seriously think about doing so.
----------------
I have helped a great many people find their long lost father or grandfather who served in WW1, with a lot more info than be found on any website.
------------------
then I think it is very small-minded and selfish of you.
If, like you say, the information is already out there then you are indeed to be commended for your efforts and I, for one, would be one of the first to do so.
-------------------
Not small minded or selfish, as the many people who I have helped can attest. More like bloody minded and determined not to be ripped of.

To give you an example, when I was doing research on old place names, village names and trades, I was in contact with a society in America, one of them was interested in the old trades I had collected, they asked for a copy and gave assurance it would be for personal use only, guess what, within 6 months it was on the web, under some one elses name, I know its mine, because of the 2 deliberate mistakes I included, that same list is now on several websites, and still has the deliberate mistakes in it, so it proves to me there are rip off merchants around, who are not prepared to do their own reseach
---------------
There are a hell of a lot of people who would love to be able to do this type of thing but cannot do so for innumerable reasons.

I have already stated that I personally think your attitude to destroy the work is wrong and seriously hope you have a change of heart. The subject matter is surely the one that should make you see that life is too short for vendetta's. They lead to Wars....[/quote]
-------------------
I'm already well past my 3 score and 10.

The is no vendetta, just me, being determined that the 10 years of what I do for a hobby, is not ripped off for some others to gain kudos, with very little effort.

Would you spend hours in Accrington library photographing all the original WW1 newspapers for Accrington, Burnley and Chorley, running them thro a photo enhancement program, then give it all away to clowns.
Then spend 100's of hours adding the info to databases, of which there are the names of over 14000 men and women from Greater Accrington, plus over 3000 thumb nail pictures of them.
I've also aquired the service records of over 520 men and only just started on C's

Retlaw.
Old 10-04-2009, 18:03   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have not chipped in on this, cos i assumed seemingly rightly retlaw had good reason fer his stance, his explanation which i would not even have given, seems to bear that assumption out.
Old 10-04-2009, 18:31   #37

Quote:
(churchmanphil said) Maybe some people don't understand search criteria on the web - it can get confusing. Maybe when they look at some websites the amount of info is so confusing they just don't understand what they need to do.
--------------
(retlaw said) Thats just it WEB sites, every body rushing to have a website, no matter whether the info is correct or not.
I've seen a lot of tripe about WW1 on the web.
Ok. Maybe I should have put websites like the CWGC and other sites of that ilk. They are, after all, WEB sites.
I think you knew exactly what I meant but in your three score years and ten you are trying to justify your decision.

As for being 'ripped off'. There is always an element of risk in anything we do. If you are happy with the info you put out there then would you not be pleased someone sees fit to use it because it is accurate?? This then negates any need for you to be critical.
I also think if someone is going to 'rip off' your entire content then they would be very sad individuals. Don't forget - you have control over what you put out, including errors, so you don't need to put 'everything' on a site. YOU choose how much and what. If people want to know more about an individual then they can contact YOU.
I also cannot understand your comment 'give it all away to clowns' (and indeed think you are being blinkered by your disagreement with another local historian). Are the general public all clowns? I do resent being called a clown just because I have not been able to achieve something on the research scale you have. I am a complete beginner on the research trail, mainly for my family tree, and have indeed trawled through census' galore with my mum. Sites with info like you could provide would be invaluable to quite a few people out there. I doubt a lot of people scattered around this globe could manage to find their way to Accrington library, most have probably never heard of the place! But if one, just one, person finds that tantalising glimpse of their ancestor through the info you could provide in a WEBsite or by some other means - would that not make your efforts worthwhile??
I am sure there would be many more people interested in a site like that for lots of reasons and they would far outnumber the plagiarists of which you seem to be obsessed.

Last edited by churchman phil; 10-04-2009 at 18:31. Reason: text
Old 10-04-2009, 19:14   #38
I am Banned

Ok. Maybe I should have put websites like the CWGC and other sites of that ilk.
They are, after all, WEB sites.
I think you knew exactly what I meant but in your three score years and ten you are trying to justify your decision.

As for being 'ripped off'. There is always an element of risk in anything we do. If you are happy with the info you put out there then would you not be pleased someone sees fit to use it because it is accurate?? This then negates any need for you to be critical.
I also think if someone is going to 'rip off' your entire content then they would be very sad individuals. Don't forget - you have control over what you put out.
-------------
If I don't put it there I don't have to worry. And there are people out there who delight in using other folks stuff as there own.
---------------
I also cannot understand your comment 'give it all away to clowns' (and indeed think you are being blinkered by your disagreement with another local historian). Are the general public all clowns? I do resent being called a clown, just because I have not been able to achieve something on the research scale you have.
---------------
You should know what I meant when I said clowns
-----------------
I am a complete beginner on the research trail, mainly for my family tree, and have indeed trawled through census' galore with my mum.
Sites with info like you could provide would be invaluable to quite a few people out there. I doubt a lot of people scattered around this globe could manage to find their way to Accrington library, most have probably never heard of the place!
-----------
Oh yes they do, I've had queries thro Accy Library, Haworth Art Gallery and Ossy Mills, from as far away as Australia, New Zealand and Canada, if they are researching ancestors in this area the will know of Accrington.
--------------
But if one, just one, person finds that tantalising glimpse of their ancestor through the info you could provide in a WEBsite or by some other means - would that not make your efforts worthwhile??
-------------------
No, I don't need the praise of others, I am my own task master. I was brought up, if a jobs worth doing, then do it right, if its a thou out its scrap.
Why should I go to the expense of providing a web site.
What would I gain from it. If I could create one loadeed with nasty little viruses, that activated when people tried to rip off, then great I'll have one tomorrow.

Both Bill Turner and myself agreed on the subject of websites, thats why no one has access to his material, several items have gone missing over the years, because he trusted people. Now if any thing should get lost or stolen I can replace it.
When you've got a few more years and experience in, you might learn that not every one can be trusted.
Would you buy a car off Gordon Brown

Him as ul wurk for nowts a bluudy idiot.

Retlaw.
Old 10-04-2009, 19:34   #39
Member.

Ok Walter, I don’t know what’s gone on before that left it being Bill’s wish that his work is not given to Andrew, I have received help from both of you in the past and I hope and pray that I will be able to again.

I wish you well and can only hope that when the time comes there is an individual that you can trust to pass what you and Bill have done over the years so that this work carry’s on, that or it’s placed in trust of the library.

Best wishes

Doug

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25   #40

Quote:
I was brought up, if a jobs worth doing, then do it right, if its a thou out its scrap.
I was an engineer too and have the exact same attitude retlaw. However I also seem to have the attitude that if it's a work of art and a masterpiece that's exact and what the specification required then show it off and receive the praise it's due.
How many great artists would there be if their works were stuffed in a cupboard or destroyed??

Quote:
If I could create one loadeed with nasty little viruses, that activated when people tried to rip off, then great I'll have one tomorrow.
You can create a password controlled site and you can implement coding whereby nobody can copy and paste too (stops the pics issue).
The only thing is you can't stop people from typing it out by hand.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
I was an engineer too and have the exact same attitude retlaw. However I also seem to have the attitude that if it's a work of art and a masterpiece that's exact and what the specification required then show it off and receive the praise it's due.
How many great artists would there be if their works were stuffed in a cupboard or destroyed??
-------------------
I don't need or seek the praise of others, when I do some thing, the only person to satisfy is me.

I've learnt that if you show other people your good at some thing, they want one for nowt. I've got several models I've made in my workshop when I was into model engineering, no one outside family has ever seen them, nor will they. I'm satisfied, which is all that matters.
Bill Turner was on at me several times to attend talks and functions with him, but I declined, I can't stand the verbal bull, and all that kudos and praise is false to me. I don't like it or need it.

---------------------------------
The only thing is you can't stop people from typing it out by hand.
Fair enough If I can spend all that time creating it, then they can spend the time trying to copy it

All the work I have already given to the library is printed on red paper, it won't photo copy, if they want to transcribe it then they'l have to work for it, not handed it on a plate.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-04-2009 at 11:32.
Old 11-04-2009, 13:15   #42

I can understand perfectly your reasons for not publishing your work in some way - I have no qualms with that whatsoever (even though I think it is a shame).
My main point was the destruction of the records after you've gone. Could you not put them into a vault or something to be released when any persons you don't want to see them has gone? In my mind they MUST be published in some way.

I also must admit that I cannot understand anyone who creates something so good can just sit on it and not be proud enough to show it off to a wider audience.

Old 11-04-2009, 13:43   #43
Senior Member+

this thread has lost me completely!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 13:44   #44

We're on the Coppice....

Old 11-04-2009, 14:03   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
this thread has lost me completely!
Thats not difficult.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..