Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 14:29   #46
I am Banned

Re: The Coppice

I also must admit that I cannot understand anyone who creates something so good can just sit on it and not be proud enough to show it off to a wider audience. [/quote]

What I can't understand is the need to seek praise from others, you can't eat it, you can't see it, or touch it.
As the Vulcan Mr Spock would say, completely illogical.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2009, 17:32   #47
Resting in Peace

I don't see a problem with Retlaw doing what he wants with what is obviously a great love and interest to him. Not like anyone has commissioned him to do it. He has pointed the way to anyone else wishing to do research, helped officials with information, etc., and answered lots of questions on here publicly about certain individuals to relatives, so no issue to me.

In the meantime, went up the Coppice today and took a few 'photos for JG.

The marker :-

coppice 003.jpgcoppice 004.jpg

The trenches :-

coppice 025.jpgcoppice 026.jpg

The metal cross :-

coppice 022.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 18:38   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cross was timber when i used to lug it.
Old 12-04-2009, 19:51   #49
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bet those nails hurt too Cashy ....

Glad I didn't know that when I was little Phil .. would never have gone near it ... who haunted it then ?
Never new if the farmhouse was really haunted , it was just typical story passed down , a bit like Rough lee and its apparent ghosts.
stanleyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 21:10   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
you can implement coding whereby nobody can copy and paste too (stops the pics issue).
The only thing is you can't stop people from typing it out by hand.
No you can't. If you can see it on your PC you can copy it.
Old 13-04-2009, 18:03   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
cross was timber when i used to lug it.
I know Cashy, took this 'photo for you really, hollow aluminium tubes aren't so heavy are they ...

Was talking to my brother today Retlaw, and he reminded me that the popular theory for the trenches being dug on the Coppice was to stop enemy aircraft landing. Now that piece of land is bumpy anyway, so can't see that really. Why were they actually dug, for the Homeguard, troops practising digging trenches or what ?
Old 13-04-2009, 19:21   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I know Cashy, took this 'photo for you really, hollow aluminium tubes aren't so heavy are they ...
obviously cos the young uns aint as physically fit these days.
Old 13-04-2009, 21:10   #53
I am Banned

Was talking to my brother today Retlaw, and he reminded me that the popular theory for the trenches being dug on the Coppice was to stop enemy aircraft landing. Now that piece of land is bumpy anyway, so can't see that really. Why were they actually dug, for the Homeguard, troops practising digging trenches or what ? [/quote]

A lot of strange activity took place at the outbreak of WW2, especially with the issue of identity cards, I still have mine somewhere) issue of gasmasks, formation of the C.D., & L.D.V., later renamed as Home Guard, one company was stationed in Hargreaves St School, next door to where I lived, several men from WW1 joined the unit. They used to practice manouvers all over the Coppice area. Then we have all the concrete pill boxes being built, the concrete blocks to stop tanks etc.
Barrage Balloon unit on Broadway, Police Station and Fire Station fronts were covered in sandbags, you can still see the marks on the walls, where they caused water to attack the stone work. Best of all school shut for a week.

Then as the war progressed you could hear the Heinkels & Dorniers droning overhead, on the way to Manchester. I could see the search lights from my bedroom window, and see the flashes of the ack ack shells as the exploded, I was always getting pasted for hanging out the bedroom window to watch.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:40   #54
Passed away 25-11-09

Forgetting WW3, which seems to be brewing between our historians, the cross on the coppice intrigues me. I can't remember that but I'm sure I remember a cross that used to be erected in the gardens on Broadway, next to the Odeon and opposite the market, at Easter. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it persists in my memory.
Old 13-04-2009, 22:20   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Forgetting WW3, which seems to be brewing between our historians, the cross on the coppice intrigues me. I can't remember that but I'm sure I remember a cross that used to be erected in the gardens on Broadway, next to the Odeon and opposite the market, at Easter. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it persists in my memory.
Remember the "Sunken Gardens" west ender, can't remember the cross in em, ya got me intrigued now. someone will know.
Old 13-04-2009, 22:58   #56
God Member

When I worked at ministry of Pensions and National Insurance, the office was above Bata shoe shop next to the bank (1960 -1965), with a view down Broadway with the sunken gardens. I never saw a cross there at Easter either.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 21:20   #57
Passed away 25-11-09

I could have sworn there was one there at least one year. The Blackburn buses used to start from beside the garden and I have this memory of seeing one from the bus. My mind must be playing tricks.
Old 20-04-2009, 22:17   #58
Junior Member+

Im a little confused by Retlaws attitude to anyone elses opinion and to be honest find it a little offensive the way he talks to people.
Im always interested in his posts and impressed with his local knowledge and Im sure his research is invaluable however burning records which have taken years to collate cannot be a positive thing and demeaning people with less experience is in my opinion patronizing.
I have a set of WW1 medals from a veteran from Oswaldtwistle and an antique bottle associated with the "Pals" which I would like to donate to a local history club or enthusiast but id be worried Retlaw would end up putting them on his bonfire.

Sorry if ive gone over the top and Im sure I will get slated for this post however this is how I feel

Regards

Chris
z900guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 23:10   #59
Resting in Peace

Just going back to the Coppice, found a statement my grandaughter made, who had not been up there since a very young age, very profound.

She commented that she didn't think it was particularly beautiful, and why had the people of Accrington let it become so neglected. Explained that schemes were in place to improve the paths and the whole area.

I always accepted it as it was, and never looked at it through the eyes of someone who hadn't visited (or fogotten) .... yes, guess is lacking, and look forward to the improvements.
Old 20-04-2009, 23:15   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

tell yer grandaughter our wonderful council let it go to the rats, when they planted those stupid trees on it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..