Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 13:54   #91

Re: The Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
By the 1840's photography wasn't uncommon.

We've got family portrait photographs dating from that decade.

It is rarer to have landscape photographs from that period.
I thought commercially available cameras were mid 1840's onwards, and weren't widely available for a few years - I must have my dates muddled. I'm very happy to be wrong on that; hopefully it means there are more early photos hovering around that I haven't seen yet.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2012, 14:20   #92
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I thought commercially available cameras were mid 1840's onwards, and weren't widely available for a few years - I must have my dates muddled. I'm very happy to be wrong on that; hopefully it means there are more early photos hovering around that I haven't seen yet.
The inventor of the first negative from which multiple postive prints were made was Henry Fox Talbot, an English botanist and mathematician and a contemporary of Daguerre.
Talbot sensitized paper to light with a silver salt solution. He then exposed the paper to light. The background became black, and the subject was rendered in gradations of grey. This was a negative image, and from the paper negative, Talbot made contact prints, reversing the light and shadows to create a detailed picture. In 1841, he perfected this paper-negative process and called it a calotype, Greek for beautiful picture.
Would take a while for Fox Talbots invention to reach Accrington, & be used for taking views, more profit in studio portraites.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:07   #93
Give, give, give member

Taken in France, 1838.

Taken in Britain, 1840.

New Jesrsey, taken 1849.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:52   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is no mention of a Coppice in early documents, this is one from the Coucher book of Kirkstall Abbey, its one of the oldest relating to Accrington, dated 1190, several names are still in use today. The boundary's are very close to the present day Accrington
Retlaw
Just reread ... or tried to ... the document. The date, 1190, must have some significance. At this time Richard Cordelion was drumming up support for his foreign adventures (I believe that "Crusade" is now politically incorrect). He was settling things down in England ... sort of covering his ass while he was away. I think I might do a little digging into de Lacy ... and to other regions in the North, considering that dispositions would have had to be made against the Scots.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 22:30   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just reread ... or tried to ... the document. The date, 1190, must have some significance. At this time Richard Cordelion was drumming up support for his foreign adventures Richard I only lived in England about 3 months(I believe that "Crusade" is now politically incorrect). He was settling things down in England ... sort of covering his ass while he was away. I think I might do a little digging into de Lacy ... and to other regions in the North, considering that dispositions would have had to be made against the Scots.
I've already reseached the de Laci line, the last male heir to the de Laci holdings died in 1193, his cousin Aubrey inherited his estates, she married a Robert FitzEustace. Their son John changed his name to de Laci. His Grandson was Henry de Laci Earl of Lincoln. The estates then passed into the hands of Alice the daughter of Henry, she marrried Thomas Earl of Lancaster, nephew of Edward II, Thomas was executed for treason in 1322, and the lands were handed over to Edward II, they have been Crown Lands ever since.
Changing your name doesn't make you a true de Laci, by the time Thomas got topped their was only 1/16th of the original blood line of the de Laci's left. Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-03-2012 at 22:36.
Old 02-03-2012, 22:45   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I've already reseached the de Laci line, the last male heir to the de Laci holdings died in 1193, his cousin Aubrey inherited his estates, she married a Robert FitzEustace. Their son John changed his name to de Laci. His Grandson was Henry de Laci Earl of Lincoln. The estates then passed into the hands of Alice the daughter of Henry, she marrried Thomas Earl of Lancaster, nephew of Edward II, Thomas was executed for treason in 1322, and the lands were handed over to Edward II, they have been Crown Lands ever since.
Changing your name doesn't make you a true de Laci, by the time Thomas got topped their was only 1/16th of the original blood line of the de Laci's left. Retlaw.
Interesting ... ta
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 23:02   #97
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Interesting ... ta
Found the documents when I visited the P.R.O, when it was in Chancery Lane some 35 years ago.
Accrington's Mayoral Chain is supposed to have the de Laci coat of arms on part of it, thats a load of bull.
The de Laci coat of arms never changed from the one, when Ilbert de Laci came over with William the Conquerer, to when Thomas got topped, there are dark green wax seals on some of the documents, with the same coat of arms as Ilberts coat of arms.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..