Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 19:58   #1
Junior Member+

The Coppice

Can anyone shed a bit more light on the history of the coppice , you know , where the trenches just for training? , how long has the remaining cannon carriage been there etc. There was one at the foot of the coppice if people can remember.
stanleyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2009, 20:23   #2
God Member

Re: The Coppice

There were trenches put in during the first world war for training, but after the war they were filled in - in fact Stanley played football (or trained) up there in between the wars.
The trenches were re-dug during the second world war as anti aircraft devices.

The Coppice centenary is happening this year. On 29th Sept it is 100 yrs since the Peel family (they of Robert Peel the founder of the Police) handed over the Coppice to the people of Accrington. There will be a celebratory event.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 21:52   #3
I am Banned

[quote=Gayle;700906]There were trenches put in during the first world war for training, but after the war they were filled in - in fact Stanley played football (or trained) up there in between the wars.

Again that myth has cropped up. That the Accy Pals dug trenches up there in WWI. Barnyard confetti. I've just been reading some of the Pals personal diaries, in the William Turner Collection, several of them tell of their early training on Ellison's Tenement, and route marches around the town, not one of them mentions digging trenches.
In fact trench warfare on the scale it became in 1916, was little known amongst the officers & the ex Boer War soldiers who helped in training the pals, trench warfare was unknown to them as well.

Bill Turner was asked several times about the so called trenches, which never got a mention until after the 2nd WW. He also said the Pals never dug any trenches until the went abroad.

So can we finaly put that myth to death once and for all.

I do remember as a young lad seeing the cannons, and the gun mounts. They were removed early in WW2, the mounts were left behind and have slowly rotted away over the years.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-04-2009 at 21:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:06   #4
Resting in Peace

Are they still there ?. Remember as a child, used to play jumping over them and very useful when you were caught short.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:10   #5
Senior Member+

we were walking up avenue parade this morning..... is there a crucifix up ton the top of the coppice?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:15   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
we were walking up avenue parade this morning..... is there a crucifix up ton the top of the coppice?
Usually 'they' put one up at Easter Emamum .. thought may be a bit early though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:18   #7
Senior Member+

aaah, when i was at church today they were talking about an easter procession, maybe thats what they meant...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 18:31   #8
Junior Member+

I was up there the other week scattering my dogs ashes and noticed a huge block of concrete with an iron bar sticking out the top. Of course its been there years I no doubt forgot about it but wondered if they used to secure barage balloons to it just to add to the trench enquiry.
Old 06-04-2009, 20:28   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyphil View Post
I was up there the other week scattering my dogs ashes and noticed a huge block of concrete with an iron bar sticking out the top. Of course its been there years I no doubt forgot about it but wondered if they used to secure barage balloons to it just to add to the trench enquiry.

There was only ever one barrage balloon in Accrington during WW2, and that was where the Arndale center is now, it was mounted on the back of a big lorry and was manned by R.A.F. personnel.

Twice during the time it was there it was struck by lighting.

Retlaw.
Old 07-04-2009, 17:43   #10

[quote=Retlaw;700985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There were trenches put in during the first world war for training, but after the war they were filled in - in fact Stanley played football (or trained) up there in between the wars.

Again that myth has cropped up. That the Accy Pals dug trenches up there in WWI. Barnyard confetti. I've just been reading some of the Pals personal diaries, in the William Turner Collection, several of them tell of their early training on Ellison's Tenement, and route marches around the town, not one of them mentions digging trenches.
In fact trench warfare on the scale it became in 1916, was little known amongst the officers & the ex Boer War soldiers who helped in training the pals, trench warfare was unknown to them as well.

Bill Turner was asked several times about the so called trenches, which never got a mention until after the 2nd WW. He also said the Pals never dug any trenches until the went abroad.

So can we finaly put that myth to death once and for all.

I do remember as a young lad seeing the cannons, and the gun mounts. They were removed early in WW2, the mounts were left behind and have slowly rotted away over the years.

Retlaw.
Actually the Pals did dig trenches locally.

This is from page 8 of the Accrington Gazette of 16th January 1915: "Whilst having a walk over the rough moorland at Moleside one day this week the writer was agreeably surprised by the sight of two or three companies of the 'Pals' engaged in trench digging."
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
[quote

Actually the Pals did dig trenches locally.

This is from page 8 of the Accrington Gazette of 16th January 1915: "Whilst having a walk over the rough moorland at Moleside one day this week the writer was agreeably surprised by the sight of two or three companies of the 'Pals' engaged in trench digging."
I see your spy has alerted you to the thread.

Do you mean the attached piece of toilet paper.
Everyone keeps on about the Coppice and this clown is on Moleside. Which is it going to be.

Firstly the weather was bad in January 1915.
The pals had just been kitted out with their new uniforms and equipment.
Two or three companies, there are 250 men to a company, so he talking in excess of 500 men.
Another load of bull, their not going to be allowed to ruin new uniforms, and where did all the picks and shovels come from, even Bridges Ironmongers would'nt have enough stock, nor would Harwood have the cash to buy them. Another thing, apart from A & B companies C & D companies had never met, nor had all the companies ever trained together. Also recruiting was still taking place for E Company.
Then the so called reporter goes on about men in training at Southport not having rifles, he's doing a lot of flitting about, First he's on about Moleside (whats he doing up there) next he's interviewing a man stationed in Southport.
I suppose all this twaddle sells newspapers, and the old reporters motto never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Reads like one of Ainsworth's fictonal tales.

I don't believe in the tale that the moon is made of green cheese, do you.
Father Christmas is a myth as well.

Another of your clangers Tom Catterall never had the number 65599 that is crossed out, do your job properly.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0011.JPG (142.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-04-2009 at 12:17.
Old 08-04-2009, 14:00   #12

I remember a Barrage Balloon in a field just past Church Cricket Ground on the way to Blackburn. I think that it too was mounted on a wagon. I lived near Intack and I used to pass the Barrage Balloon on the tram as I made my way to the Grammar School in Accrington
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Usually 'they' put one up at Easter Emamum .. thought may be a bit early though.
i used to be one of the mugs that carried it up yon late 60s early 70s, was not easy.
Old 08-04-2009, 15:03   #14
Junior Member+

So , any ideas on what the slab might have been used for since any barrage balloons were mounted on wagons. Off topic , who used to own the 'haunted farmhouse' which used to be where the bypass is just up from the lodges. Always remember playing up there.
Old 08-04-2009, 15:15   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyphil View Post
So , any ideas on what the slab might have been used for since any barrage balloons were mounted on wagons. Off topic , who used to own the 'haunted farmhouse' which used to be where the bypass is just up from the lodges. Always remember playing up there.

Don't know who owned it, but it was Green Fields Farm.
Map Ref 778-292. The Accrington Easterly bypass went straight through it.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..