Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 18:10   #46
I am Banned

Re: The Coppice 'Gun Carriage'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulManic View Post
Its evident that you don't know much about ships cannons, or siege cannons, side ways movement is referred to as Windage, and was achieved by the use of 6 ft long iron shod levers.
Those eyes may seem too small for your inexperienced point of view but thats what they were used for, for a realistic episode of ships cannons at work I suggest you watch the film Master & Commander, thats as near as the real thing as you will ever get.
As for fire arms and such, I suggest you ring Fulwood Museum & ask for Jane the Curator, then ask her of my knowledge on the subject.
Thanks for pointing out that I don't know much about ship's or seige cannon Your welcome (actually I don't know anything at all about them) and that your knowledge of firearms and such can be confirmed by a museum curator (there I was thinking you didn't know your carriage from your trunnion). Oo you are sarky, is that your best cannon shot.
Can we stop this silly bickering now.
I think we are pretty clear now that your knowledgeable believe is that the front small eye and its connecting ironwork under the front of the carriage to which the front wheels appear to be attached is simply to haul the cannon forward in a straight line. OK, got it, but still not fully convinced. Now let it drop, but preferably not on my foot.[/quote]
One small thing I'm not bickering with you just trying to correct errors, windage on all fireams, guns or cannons is always applied from the rear of the weapon. The only weapon where windage is applied from the front, is the Bow & Arrow.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2013, 14:51   #47

Final word from me on this topic. I have contacted the following organisations in an attempt to have the carriage restored but without success.
Peel Park Master Plan - seperate funding required
Civic Trust - no response
Friends of Arden Hall & The Coppice - outside their scope
Accrington Pals Centenary Commemorations Group - not relevant to the Pals
My thanks to those, including a couple of AGSOBs, who have shown an interest in this topic.
If anyone should walk across the centre of the Coppice past the carriage please spare a thought for those for which the restoration was intended to remember - The Accrington Pals and their bereaved families.
Old 16-03-2013, 12:15   #48

I saw this postcard recently. I've cleaned the image up a little so you can see the detail a little better.

Edit - sorry I should give credit - published by Constantine's Stationers Accrington c1913.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the cannons coppice accrington edited.jpg (320.9 KB, 37 views)
cashman and DtheP47 like this.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 20:39   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Great pic that, nice one Pudwoppa.
Old 16-03-2013, 20:46   #50
Resting In Peace

I've got one of those postcards, sure I posted the pic on here at some time.
Old 16-03-2013, 22:14   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I've got one of those postcards, sure I posted the pic on here at some time.
Yeh may well have done susie, perhaps when i was away, or more likely i got a crap memory.
Old 16-03-2013, 22:28   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh may well have done susie, perhaps when i was away, or more likely i got a crap memory.
No Cashy, I can't remember whether I did either, or whereabouts if I did. I did however get a blowup of it for Bob Dobson to send to the people at the Peel Park to put on the wall!
Old 16-03-2013, 22:39   #53
Full Member+

The same one's for sale on Ebay.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannon, coppice, gun carriage

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..