Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 14:48   #1

The Coppice 'Gun Carriage'

Does anyone know the history of the wood and iron relic lying in the middle of the Coppice? It is commonly referred to as the 'Gun Carriage' but could be the remnants of some old farm equipment. I believe that there was at one time a cannon on the top of the Coppice but I don't remember it in my lifetime.
If this relic is as old as it looks, whatever it may once have been, perhaps a local school could start a project to identify it and research its history. Also, if its original form could be determined, maybe the students at Accy and Rossendale College could have a project to restore it. It could then be placed permanently in a prominent position on the Coppice for all to see (Accy's mini opticon?).
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2012, 17:55   #2
I am Banned

Re: The Coppice 'Gun Carriage'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulManic View Post
Does anyone know the history of the wood and iron relic lying in the middle of the Coppice? It is commonly referred to as the 'Gun Carriage' but could be the remnants of some old farm equipment. I believe that there was at one time a cannon on the top of the Coppice but I don't remember it in my lifetime.
If this relic is as old as it looks, whatever it may once have been, perhaps a local school could start a project to identify it and research its history. Also, if its original form could be determined, maybe the students at Accy and Rossendale College could have a project to restore it. It could then be placed permanently in a prominent position on the Coppice for all to see (Accy's mini opticon?).
All this has been discussed before in Heritage & History.
It would be a waste of good timber making a replica trunion.
The cannons that used to rest on them, were melted down in WW2.
There were also some cannons in Oak Hill Park, they were removed to make way for the War Memorial.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-06-2012 at 18:03.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All this has been discussed before in Heritage & History.
It would be a waste of good timber making a replica trunion.
The cannons that used to rest on them, were melted down in WW2.
There were also some cannons in Oak Hill Park, they were removed to make way for the War Memorial.
Retlaw
Sorry if my question has re-awakened an old thread but the topic cropped up recently in conversation with other dog walkers who regularly walk on the Coppice and is therefore current for me. Although not specifically stated in your reply, I take it that the general concensus is that the relic is in fact the remains of the cannon which once stood on the Coppice. The melting down of the actual cannon barrel fits in with the mass removal of park and garden railings to be melted for the war effort.
By the way, trunnions are the iron pivot lugs protruding from each side of a cannon barrel. The wooden structure is called the carriage and personally I don't agree that restoring it would be a waste of good timber. I still think it would be an interesting historical project for a local school or college but that's just my opinion. Anyone else got an opinion?
Old 13-06-2012, 16:09   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Sorry if my question has re-awakened an old thread but the topic cropped up recently in conversation with other dog walkers who regularly walk on the Coppice and is therefore current for me. Although not specifically stated in your reply, I take it that the general concensus is that the relic is in fact the remains of the cannon which once stood on the Coppice. The melting down of the actual cannon barrel fits in with the mass removal of park and garden railings to be melted for the war effort.
By the way, trunnions are the iron pivot lugs protruding from each side of a cannon barrel. The wooden structure is called the carriage and personally I don't agree that restoring it would be a waste of good timber. I still think it would be an interesting historical project for a local school or college but that's just my opinion. Anyone else got an opinion?
Yes, I too got taken aback by the word trunnion used in that context.

I think a restoration or replication would be a good thing, a bit of hands-on history, but then I am probably biased. Way back I was involved in something similar - I worked as a conservator for the Mary Rose Trust in Portsmouth and was one of a team who cleaned the bronze cannons recovered from the wreck. An original gun carriage was also recovered and a replica was made. We also had a fibreglass replica of one of the cannon made - much lighter for taking around for display purposes!

The Mary Rose - Armament - Page 4 of 9 - Guns
Old 13-06-2012, 16:24   #5
Senior Member+

The plural of cannon is cannon. Not many people know that ( Michael Caine)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 16:30   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The plural of cannon is cannon. Not many people know that ( Michael Caine)
Quite right Bob. If you read my post above you will see I have used both cannon and cannons so mea culpa for getting it wrong once!
Old 13-06-2012, 19:05   #7
Senior Member+

I'd like to see a restoration project being undertaken.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 19:42   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I'd like to see a restoration project being undertaken.
If I'm not mistaken those 3 Cannon/Cannons were put on the Coppice from Oak Hill Park, when the War Memorial was built, I remember sitting on the barrel of one of them before the war, then when the panic started at the outbreak of WW2, we weren't allowed up the Coppice for ages, whilst they were digging those ditches to stop Jerry invading, (look on Google Earth & theres the outline of over 2 dozen), the cannons vanished, but the wooden carriages remained. Whats the point of such a restoration, if you put it on the Coppice, the local yobbery will just smash it up, you could put it outside the market for the local drunks to sit on.
Retlaw.
Old 13-06-2012, 20:14   #9

Quote:
Whats the point of such a restoration, if you put it on the Coppice, the local yobbery will just smash it up, you could put it outside the market for the local drunks to sit on.
Retlaw.
It would be shame on us if we let the yobs rule our actions.

Last edited by Neil; 15-06-2012 at 08:35. Reason: fix quote
SoulManic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 20:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yes, I too got taken aback by the word trunnion used in that context.

I think a restoration or replication would be a good thing, a bit of hands-on history, but then I am probably biased. Way back I was involved in something similar - I worked as a conservator for the Mary Rose Trust in Portsmouth and was one of a team who cleaned the bronze cannons recovered from the wreck. An original gun carriage was also recovered and a replica was made. We also had a fibreglass replica of one of the cannon made - much lighter for taking around for display purposes!

The Mary Rose - Armament - Page 4 of 9 - Guns
Thanks for the support. A fibreglass replica of the cannon barrel would be a brilliant completion to the project.
Anyone know of any old photographs of the cannon which could be used as a basis for the restoration?
Old 13-06-2012, 20:30   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Thanks for the support. A fibreglass replica of the cannon barrel would be a brilliant completion to the project.
Anyone know of any old photographs of the cannon which could be used as a basis for the restoration?
Somewhere in one of my boxes unpacked since we moved five years ago I have an old postcatd of the cannons on the Coppice. I'll have to see if I can dig it out but I'm sure I've seen the same pic on the www somewhere.
Old 13-06-2012, 22:07   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Somewhere in one of my boxes unpacked since we moved five years ago I have an old postcatd of the cannons on the Coppice. I'll have to see if I can dig it out but I'm sure I've seen the same pic on the www somewhere.
There are old postcards of the said cannons when they were in Oak Hill Park. Can't recall any of them when they were on the Coppice, will have to check. From what I can remember, they were aprox 8 ft long about 4" bore.
Retlaw.
Old 13-06-2012, 22:25   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I have found the PC, sent from 188 Stanley Street on 12 September 1912. I will try and get it scanned tomorrow if poss.

Meanwhile here is a picture of one of the cannon in Corporation Park, Blackburn.

Corporation Park's 150 Years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cannon Corporation Park.jpg (56.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 13-06-2012, 22:30   #14
I am Banned

Found a postcard of the Cannons when they were in Oak Hill.
John Kelly would know about them when they were on the Coppice, and if there are any photos. John salvaged part of one of the carriages some years ago, trouble is John is very ill at the moment and is unavailable.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oak Hill Park Cannons.a.jpg (20.4 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 13-06-2012 at 22:36.
Old 13-06-2012, 22:33   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
I have found the PC, sent from 188 Stanley Street on 12 September 1912. I will try and get it scanned tomorrow if poss.

Meanwhile here is a picture of one of the cannon in Corporation Park, Blackburn.

Corporation Park's 150 Years
By eck that a big un ell of a lot bigger than the ones on the Coppice.

Tags
cannon, coppice, gun carriage

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..