Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2011, 18:25   #1
Give, give, give member

The life of a local mill worker.

A fascinating read.
The life of Miles Nightingale, born 1826.
A man born in Bolton, but who worked in the mills in this area.

Autobiography of Miles Nightingale - 19c

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2011, 19:41   #2
Senior Member+

Re: The life of a local mill worker.

Very interesting, garinda. He didn't have an easy life but doesn't complain-I suppose that's life as it was accepted. Certainly not 'The good old days'.
The rest of the Hall site is also very interesting- a labour of love!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 20:10   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Very interesting, garinda. He didn't have an easy life but doesn't complain-I suppose that's life as it was accepted. Certainly not 'The good old days'.
The rest of the Hall site is also very interesting- a labour of love!
It was a hard life.

No welfare state.

Very little, or no, public transport.

This predates Tebbit's 'On your bike'.

This is get on Shank's pony, and find somewhere that might have work going.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:41   #4
Resting in Peace

Remember my gran telling me about working in the cotton mills when she was young, the museum at Helmshore is very interesting
Old 17-10-2011, 16:13   #5
God Member

[quote=jaysay;940437]Remember my gran telling me about working in the cotton mills when she was young, /quote]

Mine too, she started part-time aged 9 and full-time at 12 working on the looms. She could lip-read and the noise affected her hearing very badly. She worked in Moscow Street Mill in Ossy after she married my Grandad for a long time until she had a serious accident.
A loom had stopped working, as she leaned across to check the problem it started up again suddenly and the shuttle shot across into her face. She was sent home with the wound gaping and had lost some teeth as well. I don't know how many stitches she had but the scar went from the top of her cheekbone across diagonally to her mouth.
Mum thinks she got some compensation but Grandad wouldn't let her work there again. She started working in the school kitchen at St.Jameses in Accy working up to chief cook.
She was interviewed for a BBC programme about life in the mills in the early 80's - would love to see it again -must ask mum if she can remember what it was called... She was thrilled to be interviewed!

The site has some interesting links -tried out the passenger lists too see if there was a trace of my Grandad's sister who disappeared off to NZ "in disgrace" early in the century -it comes up with a female named Chaffer in 1908 going to Wellington -i think it could well be her! You have to pay to get full details so i'll check her name fully with my dad before looking into it more!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 17:01   #6
God Member

Both my parents and my uncle worked at Threebrooks Mill.
(dad - tackler, mum - weaver, uncle in the office)
I used to go in after junior school, and help my mum weaving by doing some loading of spools into shuttles.
The health and safety issues of doing that didn't seem to bother anybody.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 17:36   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I used to go in after junior school, and help my mum weaving by doing some loading of spools into shuttles.
I seam to remember saying, when I started working at Shopfitters that I was following in her footsteps as that is where she work when she left school
Old 18-10-2011, 10:10   #8
I am Banned

Don't know if this is true, but apparently our broad accent with the flat vowels etc stems from workers having to communicate with each other over the immense noise of the machinery/looms etc in the cotton mills. Makes sense when you consider most cotton towns like Accy, B'burn, Burnley etc all have similar broad accents.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:17   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Don't know if this is true, but apparently our broad accent with the flat vowels etc stems from workers having to communicate with each other over the immense noise of the machinery/looms etc in the cotton mills. Makes sense when you consider most cotton towns like Accy, B'burn, Burnley etc all have similar broad accents.
My grandmother could still lip read into her seventies a thing she learnt working in the mill from the age of 14, the mill towns do have very simulator accents but there is a difference say between Accy and Burnley and especially the Rossendale Valley, I working down the Valley for about 5 years in the 70s and I can still pick out a Valley accent even today
Old 18-10-2011, 11:36   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I used to go into the mills regularly when mum worked at Queen's Mill as a weaver and dad at Peel Mill as a cloth-looker. They didn't seem to mind you visiting at all ... in fact, was always a lovely greeting from all the other workers. Mum didn't let me near her looms though.

Years later, went to work for Hilden/Enfield ... on the sales side, but during induction got to have a go on their training loom. Remember, the trainer was well pleased with me because I got the rhythm correct first time when you had to stop the loom.. summat like 1,2,3 then push leaver to stop.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 18:00   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I used to go into the mills regularly when mum worked at Queen's Mill as a weaver and dad at Peel Mill as a cloth-looker. They didn't seem to mind you visiting at all ... in fact, was always a lovely greeting from all the other workers. Mum didn't let me near her looms though.

Years later, went to work for Hilden/Enfield ... on the sales side, but during induction got to have a go on their training loom. Remember, the trainer was well pleased with me because I got the rhythm correct first time when you had to stop the loom.. summat like 1,2,3 then push leaver to stop.
Never knew you were a catholic Kate
Old 18-10-2011, 19:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Never knew you were a catholic Kate
Jaysay, I am blushing ...a-blushing-face.png
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 22:13   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Jaysay, I am blushing ...Attachment 18566
Well he can't do much else these days kate.
Old 19-10-2011, 08:48   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jaysay, I am blushing ...Attachment 18566
Just getting my own back
Old 19-10-2011, 11:09   #15
God Member

Received a PM from Susan (sm counsell) yesterday, after reading this thread she realised her mother had had an identical accident to my Grand-mother's in Moscow Mill with exactly the same consequences. She said her mother's accident had been in the mill which was now the Bubble factory - I'm not sure but i thought that that was Moscow Mill - I am right or was it a different mill? Hope someone can clear up this doubt...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 19-10-2011 at 11:09. Reason: spelling
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..