Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 14:12   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Pleck?

As i mentioned before in another thread - the lane which ran down from Whalley rd to Bull Bridge, which is Kenyon St into Weir St, was always called the "Pleck" i never knew it as owt else, would anyone know where n how that name originated? cos its set me wondering n sure got me beat.
Old 02-11-2011, 14:40   #2
God Member

Re: The Pleck?

I found this
pleck - definition and meaning
...a plot of ground
...which makes sense when you think of Pleckgate in Blackburn being the gate to a plot of ground

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:45   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

That could be the answer Margaret,cos was much land/ground on the right going down from whalley rd.
Old 02-11-2011, 14:50   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the slaughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?
Old 02-11-2011, 18:23   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the slaughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?
I can remember once seeing sheep being herded through Accy came down Sandy Lane cashy can remember just when that was though
Old 02-11-2011, 19:19   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
As i mentioned before in another thread - the lane which ran down from Whalley rd to Bull Bridge, which is Kenyon St into Weir St, was always called the "Pleck" i never knew it as owt else, would anyone know where n how that name originated? cos its set me wondering n sure got me beat.
I have a book of old Accy photos one of which shows Pleck Brook 1937. Looks like a culvert is being built. It says the stream follows the line of Water Street to which it gives a name, crossing under Whalley Road to join the Hyndburn under Broadway.

I found this
pleck - definition and meaning
...a plot of ground
...which makes sense when you think of Pleckgate in Blackburn being the gate to a plot of ground

Sorry to be pedantic Margaret but the term 'gate' used in street names derives from the Viking word 'gata' meaning street. Still seen today in the Danish word gade.

Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the sla ughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?

Cashy the Ashman book I mentioned yesterday when we started this discussion on another thread says that the road went up Maudsley Street to Pennyhouse Lane then across what is now the cemetery to Lower Brownbirks and into Huncoat so I guess the animals came from farms in Huncoat. The old building on onthe corner of Bolton Avenus and Burnley Road was once Brownbirks Farm before it was engulfed by a council estate. I know this because my family used to own it.

I do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture.

Cheers

Sue
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 19:33   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ah now i remember Huncoyt is right susie, tis a long time since i was a kid, but can remember the guy wi the stick n the dog tellin me when i asked, cheers fer that.
Old 02-11-2011, 23:17   #8
Senior Member+

do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture

The book is by Brian ASHTON
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
do remember sheep being herded along Hyndburn Road and into the old burial ground next to the corn mill while waiting their turn at the abbatoir opposite. Again the Ashman book has a picture

You are quite right Atarah, don't know where I got the name Ashman from, as I had the book in front of me. Possibly because I was talking to Cashman at the time. Put it down to a senior moment.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28   #10
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

I remember that now, you mention it jogging memories
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Think that owd graveyard was the "Macphela"?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48   #12
Senior Member+

Absolutely correct Cashman. It was indeed a very old Baptist Chapel known as Machpelah. It was on Hyndburn Rd, near to where we once had the old gasworks (Electricity St area of town). Hyndburn Road used to be Hagg Lane in past times. I dont remember the chapel, just the grounds full of lovely old "table top" graves. The graveyard was known as "God's Acre". Many old inhabitants apparently referred to it as "The Baptists in Gas House Lane" (being the area where the gas works also was). And yes, there's where the poor sheep and cattle had their last nibble of grass before "being taken across the road".

Homebase on Hyndburn Road now built on the same site.

Last edited by Atarah; 03-11-2011 at 10:55.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Remember that area pretty well, next to the graveyard was "Hitchens" grocery supplier,had a couple of mates used to "Second Man" on the wagons.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15   #14
Resting In Peace

Nearly right Cashy it was Machpelah Baptist graveyard. I guess the chapel was long gone by the twentieth century as the www says about its records: Accrington- Machpelah Baptist Baptisms-1785-1837- Burials -1816-1844.

Machpelah is the Hebrew name for the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron reputedly the burial place of three biblical couples: (1) Abraham and Sarah; (2) Isaac and Rebecca; (3) Jacob and Leah.

Can't you tell I just love digging out useless information?
Old 05-11-2011, 23:29   #15
Senior Member+

Retlaw tells a great story about the coffins being taken out of Macpelah. I will let him tell us.,
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..