Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2015, 08:06   #151
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

The St Johns was defo a Thwaites house as was the Great Eastern on same Street. They were 2 of me dads locals.
Old 31-03-2015, 08:49   #152
Senior Member+

A friend of mine lives in York Cottage which was once a pub and he has deeds for it but would love to find a photo of his house when it was a pub.
It is on the right of Broadfield just past the school on the left.
His deeds go back to the 1500's and the house was a pub called The York in 1920 and the Brewery closed it a few years later.
He has lived there all his life (over 50years) and his parents before him, he has searched all over for a photo of the place when it was a pub.
As a last resort I thought that there was a slight chance one of out historians may have a photo for him.
He has all the history on his deeds with dates etc so there is no doubting that it was once a pub.
I hope someone on the forum can help him out.
Thanks.
Old 31-03-2015, 09:47   #153
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The St Johns was defo a Thwaites house as was the Great Eastern on same Street. They were 2 of me dads locals.
My brother's father-in-law, Billy Howard, was the landlord of the Eastern during the war and for a time after. My brother, who worked at Pioneer also worked in the pub.
Old 31-03-2015, 12:49   #154
Senior Member+

There has been the occasional listing of Ossie pubs on here, but most lists cover the borough of Accrington. I am not aware of a composite list for Ossie pubs.This pub would have been in the Lower Blackburn Police Division. Please come up with a name and some dates It may hen be easier to find it using a newspaper search on line, of the Blackburn Standard and old directories.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 13:40   #155
Senior Member+

As I said above.
The pub was the York Inn.
It is on Broadfield just below Spout House lane. Right hand side going uphill.
It was closed by the Brewery late1920's.
It has been York Cottage ever since.
My friend has the deeds and details but would like to see a photo.
I will ask him which brewery owned it.
Old 31-03-2015, 15:28   #156
Senior Member+

Without going to the bank to check his deeds my friend is pretty sure the pub owner was The Blackburn Brewery Company.
Old 31-03-2015, 19:30   #157
Senior Member+

I've not heard of that company. One of that name started up in the 1990s and used a logo which showed a BBC-type microphone. They were the last to occupy the Church Commercial. A Darwen chap called Tyson was head brewer. He started up on his own and his daughter now runs it - great beer. Although there will not be a photo, details of the closure will be found in the February report in the papers of the Church Brewster Sessions. It is likely that the brewery gave up the licence in exchange for being able to open another pub.- The Plough or the Stop & Rest maybe
Old 01-04-2015, 07:35   #158
Full Member+

I have added the York Inn.

We need pictures of all the pubs then and now and the brewery each pub was tied to.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57   #159
Full Member+

According to the Cotton Town website - In 1928, the Blackburn Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired by Duttons Brewery.

Unfortunately, the webmasters of that site believe that nobody uses desktop computers any more and have stopped some of the pages from scrolling.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 01-04-2015 at 08:01.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59   #160
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post

We need pictures of all the pubs then and now and the brewery each pub was tied to.
Whilst not wishing to throw cold water on the info about 'The York Inn', I think it inadvisable to enter this into what will be seen as a positive index recording of the pub without first confirming the information. For instance, if it was a beerhouse, selling beer only, it may not have had a name. I am in doubt about the brewery's name being correct. I will have a search made of directories.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:02   #161
Senior Member+

Quote:
According to the Cotton Town website - In 1928, the Blackburn Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired by Duttons Brewery.
That's saved me some time - thanks. The Stop and Rest was a Dutton's pub
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46   #162
Senior Member+

The records from the Emmanuel Church Oswaldtwistle show an Ellen Whewell resided at the York Inn Oswaldtwistle and was buried at the Church on the 19 July 1895 aged 42.

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project
Old 01-04-2015, 13:38   #163
Senior Member+

Quote:

Thanks for the link to the Duttons brewery web site.

I found the part I was interested in.

1928 15th July. Purchase of the Blackburn Brewery Co. which incorporated Crabtree’s Brewery Clitheroe, & Horsfall’s Brewery Brierfield, Blackburn.
Old 01-04-2015, 16:24   #164
Senior Member+

A chap in Preston has collated information on all the town's pubs - landlords, brewers and much more info. We need somebody to take this task on. It needs hundreds of hours of research
heh jimmy likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 18:40   #165

Just found this site and noticed no mention of Oddfellows on corner of Little Blackburn Rd and Bank St also Boroughs on corner of Cross St and Oak St
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed pubs, public houses, pubs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..