Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2018, 06:28   #256
Full Member+

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Before it was Marnita, it was PV tubes, suppliers of valves and electrical components, mainly to the TV trade but also to electronic hobbyists such as me. It was run by a woman called maybe Sylvia or Sheila, not entirely sure. It became Marnita when the bottom fell out of the TV rental market. I think they did sell computers for a while but it wasn't one of the places I dealt with after they ditched the components.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2018, 08:40   #257
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Before it was Marnita, it was PV tubes, suppliers of valves and electrical components, mainly to the TV trade but also to electronic hobbyists such as me. It was run by a woman called maybe Sylvia or Sheila, not entirely sure. It became Marnita when the bottom fell out of the TV rental market. I think they did sell computers for a while but it wasn't one of the places I dealt with after they ditched the components.
Aye had forgotten about P.V.Tubes dont think they lasted that long?
Old 25-06-2018, 16:18   #258

You might know Cashy, didnt George Clarkson used to be a director of Stanley(the original Stanley)
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 04:23   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
You might know Cashy, didnt George Clarkson used to be a director of Stanley(the original Stanley)
Correct Big Dave.
I mentioned this in an earlier message on page 16.

Cheers
cashman and Big Dave like this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 09:15   #260
Senior Member+

I have written to the Hyndburn Local History Society to try to interest it in making a serious study of the borough's pubs, clubs and breweries using the local newspapers held in Accrington Library. I hope the outcome will be a website along the lines of the excellent 'Preston Pubs' one. I will report back to you on here when I've had a response. I envisage it could be some months before that happens but at least I have set the ball rolling.
In connection with this subject, I would like to trace the family of the late Max Taylor, who would be in his early 80s if still alive. Max grew up around Buxton and Charter Streets. At one time he was landlord of the Antley Inn, worked for Thwaites brewery, was a policeman in Blackburn and Blackpool. On leaving Blackpool Police, he worked for a Lancaster brewery and lived in Morecambe.
Made redundant by the brewery, Max became a freelance rep selling beer to free houses and guest beers to tied houses. He died several years ago leaving a widow and grown-up children.
I want to trace this family in the hope that they may still have the notes that Max kept on our local pubs, clubs and breweries..
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed pubs, public houses, pubs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..