Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2014, 22:04   #121
Senior Member+

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

The Tanpits Inn was in George St, Nos 14-16, in 19052 - it got re-named Tanpits Rd after some development after that. I didn't know this until I checked with Shurmer's Guide.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2014, 00:41   #122

Morecambe Ex-Pat, Just noticed that 2 Accrington town centre clubs are missing from your main list. Cashy will know if open or closed.

Central WMC Bank St.? (Off Little Blackburn Rd)
British Legion Union St.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 00:50   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Morecambe Ex-Pat, Just noticed that 2 Accrington town centre clubs are missing from your main list. Cashy will know if open or closed.

Central WMC Bank St.? (Off Little Blackburn Rd)
British Legion Union St.
Both long gone irene.
Old 27-11-2014, 01:06   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Put em on irene were 2 good watering holes in the day, I was a member of legion fer a few years.
Old 27-11-2014, 08:22   #125
Senior Member+

Was there any boozer in Accrington that Cashy did NOT frequent ?
Old 27-11-2014, 08:50   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Was there any boozer in Accrington that Cashy did NOT frequent ?
In a word Bob NO.
Old 27-11-2014, 15:37   #127
Super Moderator

Cashy, I remember a place at the Broadway end of Union Street called the Disabled & Discharged Soldiers & Sailors Club...never too fussy about checking your age or membership back in the day. Was that the same place as the British Legion?
Old 27-11-2014, 16:00   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cashy, I remember a place at the Broadway end of Union Street called the Disabled & Discharged Soldiers & Sailors Club...never too fussy about checking your age or membership back in the day. Was that the same place as the British Legion?
Yep it was mate, when it closed after awhile another opened on abbey st on same block as Charlie Browns was, twas upstairs dunno how or where the entrance was, as was once place i NEVER frequented n fer that i humbly apologize.
Old 27-11-2014, 19:38   #129
Full Member+

I feel this lack of dedication in the line of duty to be quite shameful but on a positive note, the antipodean contributor to this very thread appears to have more than a passing acquaintance with the ancient art of bar crawling, which I have to say is commendable behaviour.
cashman and Bob Dobson like this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 16:45   #130
Super Moderator

Having a problem with the site. I've been trying to add one of Accy's most significant watering holes of the 60's (although not a pub)...the Jazz Club, or to give it its official title, Accrington Stanley Sportsmens' Club. Everytime I attempt to add it, it comes up with the message "already listed", but it's not on the list or the map as far as I can see. Probably me doing something wrong but what?
Old 28-11-2014, 20:54   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
Having a problem with the site. I've been trying to add one of Accy's most significant watering holes of the 60's (although not a pub)...the Jazz Club, or to give it its official title, Accrington Stanley Sportsmens' Club. Everytime I attempt to add it, it comes up with the message "already listed", but it's not on the list or the map as far as I can see. Probably me doing something wrong but what?

You're probably in the wrong key. No scope for improvisation
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:14   #132
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I just added it me owd mucker must be cos yer in Peru.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:43   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think twas the Pioneer Club Barrie, Tanpits Club just a localism?
You are correct as usual Cashy - when it comes to establishments purveying the golden elixir
Old 29-11-2014, 00:37   #134
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I just added it me owd mucker must be cos yer in Peru.
Cheers, mate.
Old 29-11-2014, 04:11   #135
I am Banned

Quote:
Folk Club too on a Wednesday night
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed pubs, public houses, pubs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..