Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rowlf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2016, 21:46   #1
Member.

War Work

During the 1939-1945 world war my grandparents worked in either munitions or war equipment production in Coventry.

My grandfather Thomas "Tommy" Douglas was an Iron Moulder by trade, my grandmother Rachel was in the mills prior to the outbreak.

As most of you know from your own families these things weren't really discussed following the war and I only know because of an off the cuff comment form an elderly relative.

My question is; is there anyone surviving that worked in Coventry who was from the Accrington area who remembers the circumstances in which people moved south to work in the war production factories?

Was this an individual choice and people migrated to do their bit or was it an organised effort by the war office or local industry.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this subject that can shed light on this part of our history?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2016, 21:30   #2
Full Member+

Re: War Work

I dont know whether there was some scheme in Accy that took me n to Coventry but I do know some friends of my oarents went there. They were bombed out three times and because they had a young son she came back and luved wiith my mum for a while as she had no where else to go. Her husband stayed down there and she moved back and I remember visiting them in Coalsville in the 1950s.
Doug likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..