Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Retlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 07:35   #1

Warner Street

I have been reading previous posts about Warner St being built by Thomas Hargreaves as a convenient route from Oak Hill mansion to St James church. I have not found anything why it was called Warner St, apparently there was a Warner family (Lee- Warner?) but I cant find anything about where they lived or what their business etc was in Accy, any info would be gratefully received
thanks, Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2018, 20:06   #2
I am Banned

Re: Warner Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
I have been reading previous posts about Warner St being built by Thomas Hargreaves as a convenient route from Oak Hill mansion to St James church. I have not found anything why it was called Warner St, apparently there was a Warner family (Lee- Warner?) but I cant find anything about where they lived or what their business etc was in Accy, any info would be gratefully received
thanks, Mark
Flamin Eck Mark.
Just spent ages trypin in the history of all that area around Woolhust Bank, I'm nod doing it all again I'm fed up with my posts keep dissapearing when I click submit reply. Lee Warner, he was originally Daniel Edward Woodward & lived at Woolhurst Bank, he changed his name to Lee Warner when he married above his station
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:03   #3

That is really useful, many thanks,
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:45   #4
I am Banned

Mark as I posted Daniel owned the lands at Woolhurst Bank that is an area opposite the old fire station and part of Bank Terrace, all the way up to Barnfield, his lands were rated at approx £21 in 1790, by the early 1800's he didnt have much left.
Blind Jack o Knaresborough was building Whalley Rd, Abbey St, and Manchester Rd in 1792 so lands wer taken out for this project, by 1795's Broad Oak Mill was being built by the Hargreaves, he also built Adelade St, Hargreave St, which is where I lived in the 1930's was named after him but he didnt build it or own it, there was a dated stone on No: 1 1834. The area where the cop shop was built was owned by Sykes who built a mill there.
Back to Woodward he did own lands down the Black Abbey area as well, as a land owner most of his was rented out to various tenants, but by the 1820's very little is shown in the records for Woodward/Warner, most of the farming land in that area, of what was then known as New Accrington was being turned over to factory's, Abbey St was the main St, and recognised as the town center, If you take note, a lot of early mills in New Accrington are sited in the area between Wellington St and Oak St, then more along the Factory Botton (Victoria St,). some where in these dammed computers I have the rate books for 1790 & 1828 which shows who owns what, and how much its worth, they are also like a mini census, naming tenants as well as landowners
I just hope this lot will post this time.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 07-03-2018, 15:38   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Flamin Eck Mark.
Just spent ages trypin in the history of all that area around Woolhust Bank, I'm nod doing it all again I'm fed up with my posts keep dissapearing when I click submit reply. Lee Warner, he was originally Daniel Edward Woodward & lived at Woolhurst Bank, he changed his name to Lee Warner when he married above his station
Nothing has been deleted from the forum so it must be something you're doing.
Old 07-03-2018, 18:58   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Nothing has been deleted from the forum so it must be something you're doing.
I kow its not been deleted, its sumnat that keeps happening after I click submit post, I've then to wait a bit then click back and it comes up document closed, click back again and my typing reapears asking me to submit post again, sometimes its 3 or 4 times, then if I,m lucky is does, sometimes I forget to save first, other wise I can sometimes put it back in edit, its been at it for a few months now, and am nod the fastest tryper by any means, appen about 10 word a minite in posh
Jut timed this lot 12 1/2 mins

Old 08-03-2018, 08:16   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Must be something at your end because it's working ok for everyone else
Old 08-03-2018, 09:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I kow its not been deleted, its sumnat that keeps happening after I click submit post, I've then to wait a bit then click back and it comes up document closed, click back again and my typing reapears asking me to submit post again, sometimes its 3 or 4 times, then if I,m lucky is does, sometimes I forget to save first, other wise I can sometimes put it back in edit, its been at it for a few months now, and am nod the fastest tryper by any means, appen about 10 word a minite in posh
Jut timed this lot 12 1/2 mins

It has happed to me a few times if I delay submitting reply for too long whilst looking up a word in my dictionary or whatever.
If I press "Preview Post", every time I need a minute or two's grace; then everything comes up roses. (works for me).
stay happy, Your's, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
It has happed to me a few times if I delay submitting reply for too long whilst looking up a word in my dictionary or whatever.
If I press "Preview Post", every time I need a minute or two's grace; then everything comes up roses. (works for me).
stay happy, Your's, Taddy.
Taddy tha might a just hit nail on thead, some post take a long time tu type, evin tu keep checkin what I've wrtten an thinkin of what to put an dues it make sense I'm nod a word smith by a long long way.
Thanks a lot I'll give t a go next time.

Flamin Eck even this short post took 20 milion clicks tu get up document closed, double post, document expired, am benna fall on mi sword

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-03-2018 at 12:49.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..