Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2011, 22:03   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Warner Street, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The Borough Arms in Cross St, started its life as Dugdales Charity, built in 1843, it didn't become the Borough Arms until after 1896. Joseph Booth, one of the first Bobby's in Accrington, lived in that building long before it became a public house.

Retlaw.
Well I never knew that. I always thought "there was a possibility" that Joseph Booth had lived in Warner Street. Never knew he had lived on Cross Street?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2011, 22:03   #17

What I would like to know is why did the name get changed to Warner street from New Street and who did the warner name originally belong to? Must have been someone important enough for them to name a street or pub after!
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 22:09   #18
Senior Member+

The street at a later date took its name from the Lee-Warner family, the owners of the land
Old 13-07-2011, 22:17   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Atarah;918710][B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetlawThe stocks were across the road from the Warner Arms, a bit to the left of the Pals Memorial[ [/B

How do you know may I ask?
Perhaps retlaw was in em?
Old 13-07-2011, 22:29   #20
I am Banned

[quote=Atarah;918710][b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetlawThe stocks were across the road from the Warner Arms, a bit to the left of the Pals Memorial[ [/B

How do you know may I ask?
Cheeky young pup, I've been collecting information on the history of Accrington, longer than you've been living. Seek and ye shall find, just as I did.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 22:41   #21
Senior Member+

[quote=Retlaw;918731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Cheeky young pup, I've been collecting information on the history of Accrington, longer than you've been living. Seek and ye shall find, just as I did.
[b]Retlaw.
But I have "sought" and "found" and all I can come up with is the stocks were at the lower end of Warner Street!
Old 13-07-2011, 22:43   #22
I am Banned

This sign is another of the many mistakes on the supposed historical signage around Accrington, the Bay Horse Hotel, which used to be in Church St, New Accrington was a Coach House 200 years before the Warner Arms was built, and older than St james Church. The Landlord of the Bay Horse in 1660, was Edward Holmes. The other Coach House was the Black Bull, Bull Bridge, in Old Accrington.

Retlaw.

Old 13-07-2011, 22:49   #23
I am Banned

[quote=Atarah;918739]
Quote:

But I have "sought" and "found" and all I can come up with is the stocks were at the lower end of Warner Street!
I think your source should have read, facing the end of Warner St. By the time the Warner Arms was built on the corner of Warner St, and what was known as Mr Peels Rd, there was insufficient room for any thing to be directly in front of the Warner Arms.
Joe Booth had the key to the lock on the stocks.

Retlaw.
Old 13-07-2011, 22:55   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
The Landlord of the Bay Horse in 1660, was Edward Holmes.

Oh my goodness! HOLMES in Accrington since 1660! Oh deary deary me!
Old 13-07-2011, 23:09   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Oh my goodness! HOLMES in Accrington since 1660! Oh deary deary me!
Different branch.

Retlaw's descended from the Accrington family Ideal-Holmes..

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 23:21   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Different branch.

Retlaw's descended from the Accrington family Ideal-Holmes..

Your for it Bu**er Lugs, just you wait.
Retlaw
Old 13-07-2011, 23:40   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Your for it Bu**er Lugs, just you wait.
Retlaw
Go on.

I bet you laughed.

Mr. Ideal-Holmes sir.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 08:54   #28
Resting in Peace

I was on Warner Street yesterday and was thinking about Tattersalls office suplies, I can't remember seeing it so I can only imagine its no longer there, so I'll do a Bee anybody know when it shut
Old 14-07-2011, 09:19   #29
Senior Member+

Warner Street, Accrington

Borrowed these notes of mine from a posting in March 2010, under the heading "Accrington's Little Italy".

And .... going back even further ...... around Warner Street area we had an Italian Ice Cream vendor! In 1889 Warner Street was classed as "the most demoralising place in the town". Mr. Louis Brown, the ice cream man, had premises in Warner Street, where he had an ice cream parlour. (not sure on this, but a possibility we are talking the bottom property of Warner Street/Cross Street)- where once Key Joe's, used to be, then it was lastly Red Rose Paints I believe. Two guys were charged with obstruction. They had been seen on the Sunday evening, drinking and dancing in the street, directly opposite the ice cream parlour! The Chief Constable said the house was a frequent resort of youths and young women on Sunday evenings, the boys for the most part being found smoking. On one Sunday there were seen to be 57 youths in the house - 45 lads and 12 lasses! Another day 30 in total. On another occasion, 99 lads and 5 lasses! Reports had been sent to the Watch Committee and the Chairman said it was necessary that members of the public should be aware of this "den of iniquity" and parents should take need of what was happening in the street. He said he regarded the house as the most demoralising place in the town. He did not think there was any beerhouse in the town that suffered this type of behaviour. This was in 1889! Things never change, eh!
Old 14-07-2011, 09:22   #30

Any chance of getting a photo of the pals memorial.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..