Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2013, 18:23   #1
Resting in Peace

Smile Wesleyan Methodist church, Union St, Accrington Lancashire

looking for pictures and information... if anyone can help: many thanks in advance Magpie:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2013, 19:10   #2

Re: Wesleyan Methodist church, Union St, Accrington Lancashire

Have a couple of old newspaper cuttings about a Methodist Church on Union Street if this is the one you are interested in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg union street.jpg (588.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg union street 2.jpg (571.3 KB, 54 views)
davylad likes this.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:19   #3
Senior Member+

Great cuttings these, Anzac. I've not seen many photos of my old chapel. One that crops up shows a mayoral party leaving the gates. My love for old hymns was nurtured here.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:47   #4
Senior Member+

Is that not sexist Bob a love for old hims
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:55   #5
Resting In Peace

Here are a couple of pics of that end of Union Street early part of last century I would think. The church is just visible behind the trees and I think the building with the tower was the Sunday School.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc 001 (640x410).jpg (179.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Acc (640x423).jpg (168.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 19-10-2013, 20:56   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Is that not sexist Bob a love for old hims
Not to mention ageist.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 21:58   #7
Resting in Peace

Thank you.... that's great... I am gathering information on the Harwood Family Tree... the late Richard Harwood ( Dick Harwood) ( used to play the organ at Christ Church.... he was my grandfather...
Old 19-10-2013, 22:12   #8
Resting in Peace

am I right in thinking the building that is still left on union street .... was the school and the church although now gone was just behind it.... and also was there a grave yard there.... again many thanks for you help...
Old 20-10-2013, 09:18   #9
Senior Member+

I don't think it was ever a day school but certainly was a SS. Yes- there was a small graveyard. When Union St chapel closed, the congregation moved to the one on Whalley Rd/Kenyon St.I am unaware of what happened to any archive material. I am in contact with a Mr & Mrs Ashworth, of Union St,. now in Morecambe
magpie likes this.
Old 20-10-2013, 12:07   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I don't think it was ever a day school but certainly was a SS. Yes- there was a small graveyard. When Union St chapel closed, the congregation moved to the one on Whalley Rd/Kenyon St.I am unaware of what happened to any archive material. I am in contact with a Mr & Mrs Ashworth, of Union St,. now in Morecambe
I would like to know what happened to the War Memorial, also the R-O-H that was inside the church. I have several men in my files who attended that church.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 14:26   #11
Resting in Peace

There is another post on here about the grave yard.... all graves were dug up and remains placed up at Burnley Road: how sad the need to move grave yards... and for what ? These people many of whom worked all their lives and paid the co op man on the door, for just enough to have a funeral and a final resting place: very sad in deed:
Old 21-10-2013, 11:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
It may have been a ss before, or after, but not during the war, troops from the Pioneer Corps were billeted there. I believe part of their job was to maintain the smoke screens, which were on Nelson Square, and various other parts of the town.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 20:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Thank you.... that's great... I am gathering information on the Harwood Family Tree... the late Richard Harwood ( Dick Harwood) ( used to play the organ at Christ Church.... he was my grandfather...
My wife used to sing occasionally with Dick. She fondly remembers Doreen and Dorothy too. She thinks that he may have had connections with the Hyndburn Singers, as did the Ashworths as mentioned above.
magpie likes this.

Last edited by egg&chips; 03-11-2013 at 20:56. Reason: Omission
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 21:37   #14
Senior Member+

My aunt Rose was a good singer who entered competitions. The 'leading' singer was a lady called Theresa in the late 40s and 50s.
Old 03-11-2013, 22:23   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
My wife used to sing occasionally with Dick. She fondly remembers Doreen and Dorothy too. She thinks that he may have had connections with the Hyndburn Singers, as did the Ashworths as mentioned above.
There was ex WW1 soldier who lived up Sandy Lane called Beaumont Harwood, he was singer as was his wife, they used to sing in pubs and clubs around the area, last time I saw Beaumont would be around 1953 in Adelaide St.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..