Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2012, 22:07   #1
ktb
Junior Member+

Where Is or Was Marl Terrace, Accrington?

Can anyone who is interested in Accrington history help...In the 1881 census for Accrington I've got my WELLS family living at 129 Marl Terrace, Accrington & also @ 24 Back Marl Terrace, Accrington - has anyone got any ideas where this was/is?

When I was in Accrington a few years ago, someone in the library said it was/is on or just off Manchester road...!?
ktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2012, 22:19   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Where Is or Was Marl Terrace, Accrington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb View Post
Can anyone who is interested in Accrington history help...In the 1881 census for Accrington I've got my WELLS family living at 129 Marl Terrace, Accrington & also @ 24 Back Marl Terrace, Accrington - has anyone got any ideas where this was/is?

When I was in Accrington a few years ago, someone in the library said it was/is on or just off Manchester road...!?
Yes, a row of terraced houses on Manchester Road, opposite top end of Oak Hill Park, left hand side going to Baxenden. Don't know about Back Marl Terrace, but obviously was at the back of it..

Last edited by katex; 24-02-2012 at 22:24.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 22:29   #3
Resting in Peace

Was looking at Adrian Shurmer's guide, he names this terrace as no's 129>161, so 129 would be the first house going up.
Old 24-02-2012, 22:29   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, a row of terraced houses on Manchester Road, opposite top end of Oak Hill Park, left hand side going to Baxenden. Don't know about Back Marl Terrace, but obviously was at the back of it..
Was racking my brains on this one Kate, knew I'd seen it somewhere.

You're right - must have passed it many times on the bus on the way to Manchester for weekend jollies when I was a slip of a girl...

129 seems a very high number for a terrace - could that have been the number on Manchester Road?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 22:30   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb View Post

It was down a ginnal at the side of what is now the Post Office on Marl Terrace, Manchester Rd.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 22:32   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was racking my brains on this one Kate, knew I'd seen it somewhere.

You're right - must have passed it many times on the bus on the way to Manchester for weekend jollies when I was a slip of a girl...

129 seems a very high number for a terrace - could that have been the number on Manchester Road?
Why should 129 be a high number, terraces were named all over the place, and had nowt to do with street numbers. Adrians Street Guide is just pointing out the location of it, where would one look if he just put Manchester Rd, there are several terraces on Manchester Rd, from Bell Shop Lane to Hollands Pies.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-02-2012 at 22:39.
Old 24-02-2012, 22:38   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Why should 129 be a high number, terraces were named all over the place, and had nowt to do with street numbers.
Retlaw.
In other words, Sue, would be the number for the road ...that being Manchester Road.
Old 24-02-2012, 22:44   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
In other words, Sue, would be the number for the road ...that being Manchester Road.
That's what I suggested in post no 4, written before your post no 3 turned up.

Seem to have got Walter's back up again, but then it's not difficult.
Old 24-02-2012, 22:47   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's what I suggested in post no 4, written before your post no 3 turned up.

Seem to have got Walter's back up again, but then it's not difficult.
Nah, he's like that with everyone... gotta' treat him mean, to keep him keen.... eh, Lurch. (wait for the insult) ....
Old 24-02-2012, 22:50   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh would soon know if yeh got his back up, Yer still learning susie.
Old 24-02-2012, 22:54   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Nah, he's like that with everyone... gotta' treat him mean, to keep him keen.... eh, Lurch. (wait for the insult) ....
No wonder when folk chip in on a thread, with a meaningless post just to get their count up.
So whats so important about passing Marl Terrace ?.
Must be 100's on here that have passed it 1000's of times.
Retlaw.
Old 24-02-2012, 23:02   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No wonder when folk chip in on a thread, with a meaningless post just to get their count up.
Retlaw.

Eeew, that was quite mild, he must quite like you Sue ...

Anyway, I don't know the names of many terraces, and that was your stomping ground ... wasn't mine ...too posh an area..
Old 24-02-2012, 23:12   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Retlaw.
I don't give two hoots about the number of posts, a pretty meaningless statistic.

I was merely informing Kate that she had prevented me having a sleepless night trying to remember where I had seen the name, and commenting on the census information in post 1.

Go find some more meaningless posts to criticise and keep away from mine.
Old 24-02-2012, 23:23   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Eeew, that was quite mild, he must quite like you Sue ...

Anyway, I don't know the names of many terraces, and that was your stomping ground ... wasn't mine ...too posh an area..
Just counted um Snakehead, an there are 136 Terrace's in the list, quite a lot have now gone for good, got two good ones for you, one place was nicknamed Pinky Row, and the other was Pinch Belly Row.
Retlaw
Old 24-02-2012, 23:28   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
I don't give two hoots about the number of posts, a pretty meaningless statistic.

I was merely informing Kate that she had prevented me having a sleepless night trying to remember where I had seen the name, and commenting on the census information in post 1.

Go find some more meaningless posts to criticise and keep away from mine.
We have one thing to be thankful for, you live in Morecambe, go and watch the traffic lights change. I'm not the only one that thinks your becoming a nuisance, chipping in with meaningless comments on several threads on here.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-02-2012 at 23:33.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..