Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By susie123
  • 1 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 13:14   #1
Junior Member+

Where is this?

Among the photos left by my late father are several from Accrington (where he was born) in the early 1900s.
Here is one of a row of smart terrace houses, with the residents standing proudly outside. Can anyone identify where they are? And even suggest why they were all 'on display', so to speak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AccHses.jpg (172.2 KB, 141 views)
duport is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2012, 13:23   #2
God Member

Re: Where is this?

It is unusual to see a brick built terrace in Accrington.

When my job in the 70s had me driving and visiting homes in side streets, I don't recall ever seeing a terraced row like that, and there weren't many side streets I didn't visit.

So I conclude that it is demolished long since.

Retlaw may know, if anybody does.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duport View Post
Among the photos left by my late father are several from Accrington (where he was born) in the early 1900s.
Here is one of a row of smart terrace houses, with the residents standing proudly outside. Can anyone identify where they are? And even suggest why they were all 'on display', so to speak?
Don't know why, but I immediately thought of Blackburn Rd. West End (after Thwaites rd: but before the old Dairy
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:25   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duport View Post
Never seen owt like that in Accrington, looks a bit to posh for Accy, most of the houses in Acc are stone faced.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:40   #5
Senior Member+

I honestly believe this is NOT a photograph from Accrington, and the reason they are all standing outside is, cos the photographer must live at the second house from the right, and he, the lucky man, had purchased a camera, and told all his neighbours to stand outside and he would take their photos! :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:46   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I honestly believe this is NOT a photograph from Accrington, and the reason they are all standing outside is, cos the photographer must live at the second house from the right, and he, the lucky man, had purchased a camera, and told all his neighbours to stand outside and he would take their photos! :-)
I'll go with that, sounds about right. Doesn't look like Accrington to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 16:14   #7

It's Bolton don't ask me how I know
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:19   #8
Senior Member+

I don't recognise the terrace, but don't rule out it being local. The stone fence indicates to me that flagstones would be quite cheap as there was an abundant supply. Local brickmakers would sell bricks to builders and deliver to the site. Far left I think the gable end has been covered with slates to act as weatherproofing - a common practice locally. If we knew who the people were, a search of the 1901 or 1911 censuses may come up with the answer Quality work shown by the arched doorways. Stone used on top of the garden walls - might it be new as it is clean? Great photo
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:54   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

First thoughts were on Whalley Rd, across from the owd Congregation Methodists Church, But it aint that row, so don't know of anything like that row in accy.
Old 01-12-2012, 19:55   #10

reminds me of the row going up union road ossy, to the right opposite the bubble factory, but it isnt,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 20:13   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
First thoughts were on Whalley Rd, across from the owd Congregation Methodists Church, But it aint that row, so don't know of anything like that row in accy.
You are refering to Britcliffe Row, demolished when they altered the area around Castle St for the new road, Eastgate, it was one of the last remaining terraces of Old Accrrington. I think there might be a picture of it in the Jubilee Book.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-12-2012 at 20:16.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:03   #12
Resting In Peace

There is a photo of Britcliffe Row in the Accyweb gallery:
WHALLEY ROAD. - Accrington Photo Gallery
cashman and smobile like this.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:21   #13
Junior Member+

If it had been definitely identified as Accrington, I'd have sent it to either the council archives or the local history society (or both - any opinions?).
But as the jury is still out, I'll keep it for now.
duport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:39   #14
Senior Member+

Duport You could send it to the library, who will retain it without identification Ask them to display it and ask for suggestions.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:45   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You are refering to Britcliffe Row, demolished when they altered the area around Castle St for the new road, Eastgate, it was one of the last remaining terraces of Old Accrrington. I think there might be a picture of it in the Jubilee Book.
Yep had forgot the name.........unsurprisingly as the word makes me spit.
smobile likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..