Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Whittaker Brothers, Pioneer Works

Just had a "Flashback" the foundry on Dowry St, made equipment fer the Mines @ Brickyards, as i recall.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29   #17
Senior Member+

Yes, they did - it was branded 'New Era' - brickmaking machinery mostly, though they did lots of other stuff such as boilers for cotton mills. However, the original thread is about the Pioneer on Horne St. Read about them in 'An Accrington Mixture'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 12:09   #18

Hi everybody, I am a new member who has come across a Tip Top Washer, Pioneer made by Whittaker Bros. Accrington and sold by C.W.Lillie of Leeds. Can anyone give me any information about it please? Jean
TonyMagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:43   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMagpie View Post
Hi everybody, I am a new member who has come across a Tip Top Washer, Pioneer made by Whittaker Bros. Accrington and sold by C.W.Lillie of Leeds. Can anyone give me any information about it please? Jean
It is possible that Accrington library ( [email protected]) have a file on the Pioneer company - which should not be confused with the Dowry St firm mentioned in some of the postings on here. I cannot find my copy of my book 'An Accrington Mixture' which has a Pioneer article in it. I recall that the firm went out of business because they did not move with the times and continued to produce their long-established washers such as the one you have.Yours
could be one dated as late as the 1950s, or even early 60s.
Old 26-01-2019, 19:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The Pioneer story starts with George Whittaker, wholived at Moss End farm, on the hills between hapton and Crawshawbooth. He had ten children, one of whom was Henry. he prospered, built Prospect House, Whalley rd and with his brothers John and William started Whittaker Brothers, manufactrers of Pioneer mangles, washers etc in Horne Street. On henry's death, his son Leonard of Hollins Lane took over. On his early death his relative (uncle?) William Haworth took over, to be succeeded by his son Walter. Insufficient investment brough the comnpany to a standstill in 1958.

A friend of mine is part of this family and would like to know if there are any other descendants of George Whittaker still in Accrington area.

There were other Whittaker families involved with various Accrington companies. The making of bricks, brick-making machinery were just two of the industries they were involved in. Another was head of sewage engineering for Accrington Corporation and made Accrington a world leader in sewage treatment at Coppy Clough a hundred years ago.
Hello. Do you know of an Eric Smith who also worked at the Pioneer Works probably in the 50s or 60s?
Glenville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:45   #21
Senior Member+

Eric Smith is not known to me, Glenville
Old 01-02-2019, 19:27   #22
Senior Member+

I am in touch by email with people who are descended from the Whittakers of Pioneer and Dowry St foundry. Message me your email addres if you ant to be put in touch.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..