Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2011, 00:08   #1
Senior Member+

Who can solve a mystery

I have vague memories of the old abattoirs just off Hyndburn Road in Accrington. I also had a vague memory that two large stone bull's heads adorned the two entrance pillars.
Of course, this building has long since gone, but I did wonder at the time whatever happened to the bulls heads.
Quite by chance today, whilst reading up on the origins of the Civic Trust in Accrington, I came across an old article which suddenly, seemed to explain everything.
At a meeting in Oct 1974 it said that the Civic Trust "offered the Bulls Heads from the abattoirs to BOWLEY SCOUT CAMP"??????????? Didnt know they had such power???
Then in a later report in April 1975 it mentioned that one was badly broken, and so they would only be offering one head to the camp.

So, supersleuths, can anyone confirm if ONE bulls head, from old premises here in Accrington, is STILL at Gt Harwood?

Would just be interesting to know.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2011, 07:39   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Who can solve a mystery

Here they are looking well and happy.

Bowley Campsite and Activity Centre - Local Business - Great Harwood, United Kingdom | Facebook

I have a young relative who was camping there in the summer.

I'll ask them if they've seen them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 14:03   #3

I remember the two bull's heads at Bowley. They are just in front of the tuck shop. I'd always assumed they were one sculpture - they are joined neck to neck looking in opposite directions, and crudely cemented onto a small circular plinth. I used to sit on them as a child all the way through cubs and scouts.

Last time I checked (maybe 7 or 8 years back now) they were still there. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:23   #4

Can't help with the Bowley part of this - Sorry, but in an attempt to firm up the source location I remember the heads atop the entrance pillars to the Council dustbin wagon depot on Moreton Street - which was previously the abattiors
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 21:27   #5

If you take a look at the bowley website = they use the bulls as part of their logo. They have also used them on some of their commemorative badges.
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..