Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2011, 20:42   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

re: Woodnook Improvement Scheme 2012 With Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Tell the truth I was away from there mid 70's but my family lived on Hudson Street up to late 70's and it was fine..no aggro..no fires.. I mean for gods sake it looks more like Church in 1973!
Cheeky git,i moved to church in 72.
Old 26-06-2011, 00:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Is this when you discovered booze?
Yea wyn ,i discovered booze in woodnook.Bottles of strongbow and fizzbombs in christ church grounds on saturdays in 1977
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:23   #33
Junior Member+

This really is a fantastic shot of Woodnook - did you take it yourself, and where did you take it from (have a vision of someone perched from nearby Christ Church?!). This really shows the awful state the neighbourhood has been allowed to fall into - the good news is (I hope!) I'm part of the team that will transform these properties from small '2-up 2-downs' to a range of larger 2, 3 and 4-bed family homes.

Early days at the moment but hope to be able to tell you all more soon, quite fancy the idea of running a Woodnook photography competition/exhibition to document the people and properties that make up the local community - what do people think?

If you did take that picture, I'd love a high res copy if that's something that can be sorted out? To be fair, I 'm up in Accy quite a lot these days and will be looking for premises in the neighbourhood - might be worth meeting up if you're interested in getting involved with the photography idea, keen to do this at grass roots level and get community involved.

Martin

M
Ellerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:33   #34
Junior Member+

Post Woodnook

A selection of photos of the empties taken over last 12-months round Woodnook...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1106517...eat=directlink

First time I've tried posting anything to the Accy Web site, not sure how to actually add a photo onto site directly - link to Picasa will have to do for now. Any advice great fully received!
Old 09-07-2012, 19:48   #35
Senior Member+

Re: Woodnook Empties

to upload a photo, click "post reply" then after typing the text, click on the paper clip above the white text box. Photos will have to be resized, and a maximum of ten pictures per posting.

As a matter of interest what was your motivation for posting such a comprehensive photo diary of the region in question?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 19:53   #36
Senior Member+

Ellerby - Can you say if SOUTH STREET is going to be part of the refurbishment? Have heard maybe NOT.
I lived on that street all my life, now one of my sons lives on it. We have noticed recently that quite a few of the propeties on this street are actually looking BETTER - privately owned in fact.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:13   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
.....As a matter of interest what was your motivation for posting such a comprehensive photo diary of the region in question?
Presumably a professional interest in the regeneration of those properties.

Martin Ellerby - United Kingdom | LinkedIn

Last edited by Neil; 10-07-2012 at 14:13. Reason: changed after moving posts from another thread
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56   #38

Had a walk round Duke Bar the other day, don't think quantitative easing has reached there either !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6668.jpg (508.0 KB, 35 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36   #39
Junior Member+

Thanks for the note on posting images Davemac, but all I seem to get is the option to type a URL address, not an option to choose from my pictures on my laptop?

I am part of a team that hope to refurbish and remodel these homes into larger, energy efficient family homes, inc. much needed 3 & 4-beds. Hope to be able to say more in the not too distant future.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerby View Post
I am part of a team that hope to refurbish and remodel these homes into larger, energy efficient family homes, inc. much needed 3 & 4-beds. Hope to be able to say more in the not too distant future.
I would have thought that most people who want a 3 or 4 bedroom home have a few kids so probably also want a garden and a garage. I don't see how you can make decent 3 or 4 bedroom houses from non garden fronted fronted terraced houses with small back yards.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14   #41
Beacon of light

Instead of posting a quick reply...when you want to add pictures choose the 'Go Advanced' option....then look under the text area for a box which says attach files...choose 'Manage Attachements'....this will allow you to either browse your own pics or add pics from a web address......it will give you the option of adding 10 pictures......and you may have to resize them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24   #42
Beacon of light

I have put pics on here so you will know exactly what you are looking for.
I hope this helps.
And good luck with your work in regenerating an area that used to be a good place to live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040082 (1024x768).jpg (83.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1040081 (1024x768).jpg (90.0 KB, 28 views)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 14:56   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerby View Post
Thanks for the note on posting images Davemac, but all I seem to get is the option to type a URL address, not an option to choose from my pictures on my laptop?

Good luck with getting the refurbs in motion, my daughter lives in the area and is hoping to get a bigger house eventually
Old 11-07-2012, 15:04   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would have thought that most people who want a 3 or 4 bedroom home have a few kids so probably also want a garden and a garage. I don't see how you can make decent 3 or 4 bedroom houses from non garden fronted fronted terraced houses with small back yards.
Neil, go to villages in the Ribble valley, Yorkshire or down south and these properties are 'desirable cottages'. Put two together and you have a big, substantial house with a back yard/garden twice as big. Also some of those on the Woodnook photos do have small front gardens.Not everyone is bothered about a front garden as long as the street is fairly quiet.
A lot of terraces going up from the main road in Darwen have been modernised and sandblasted and look very 'desirable'.
If looked after and modernised these terraces will still be lived in long after the 60's/70's breeze block and plasterboard boxes have gone.
If you watch 'The Secret History of our Steets' you can see how slum properties have become £3 million pound properties- most of them don't have front gardens, in fact some didn't even have back yards!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 11-07-2012 at 15:08.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:12   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
.......If you watch 'The Secret History of our Steets' you can see how slum properties have become £3 million pound properties- most of them don't have front gardens, in fact some didn't even have back yards!

This is Accrington we are talking about though.
The area become how it is now because the houses were bought up by private landlords who did not care who was in them or what state they were in as long as they were getting the rent. It really annoys me that those same private landlords will have been paid more than the houses were worth in the state they were in using our money.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..