Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2009, 16:21   #1
Senior Member+

Woodnook mill.

WOODNOOK MILLS next on the agenda!

Coming along Victoria Street this afternoon, turned the corner onto Nuttall Street and was held up in queue of traffic. A digger was in the middle of the road and was loading what looked like some Yorkshire stone flags onto a low loader. My curiousity got the better of me, so I stopped and spoke to a workman. Yep, the whole lot is being demolished. Guess what for . . . . the usual! HOUSES!!

Why or why aren't they doing as in Manchester - saving and refurbishing??????

Will find a bit of history on the building and post later.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may13th2009 031.jpg (274.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg may13th2009 029.jpg (298.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg may13th2009 036.jpg (370.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg may13th2009 060.jpg (371.2 KB, 86 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2009, 17:19   #2
I am Banned

re: WOODNOOK MILL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
WOODNOOK MILLS next on the agenda!

Coming along Victoria Street this afternoon, turned the corner onto Nuttall Street and was held up in queue of traffic. A digger was in the middle of the road and was loading what looked like some Yorkshire stone flags onto a low loader. My curiousity got the better of me, so I stopped and spoke to a workman. Yep, the whole lot is being demolished. Guess what for . . . . the usual! HOUSES!!

Why or why aren't they doing as in Manchester - saving and refurbishing??????

Will find a bit of history on the building and post later.

Atarah
I would have thought it was a listed building.
Could be converted into cheapo flats and house all the neighbours from hell in it, then they will only get on one anothers nerves.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:11   #3
Senior Member+

There's no way they would be Yorkshire stone flags - almost certainly they would be quarried within ten miles of Accrington - perhaps as far away as Longridge.

I am concerned that it seems nobody knew about this. I am hoping that Katex will tell us that she had seen the demolition mentioned in a notice such as those published when planning permission is granted - or has the council kept this
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:12   #4
God Member

somebody will be making money out of it have they got planning permission yet or is it already rubber stamped
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:14   #5
Senior Member+

-ooops - touched the wrong key. .....quiet just as they did when the Grammar School was demolished?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 19:12   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There's no way they would be Yorkshire stone flags - almost certainly they would be quarried within ten miles of Accrington - perhaps as far away as Longridge.

I am concerned that it seems nobody knew about this. I am hoping that Katex will tell us that she had seen the demolition mentioned in a notice such as those published when planning permission is granted - or has the council kept this
It has been there for all to see Bob ... have posted in my Planning Applications thread before, and this was the last meeting it was discussed ... again for all to see.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...1_march_09.pdf

I worked for the company that owned this building, and sorry Atarah, do love our heritage, but it was a mess and would have fallen down if not pulled down. No developer would wish to convert it into other uses, as I consider it a very ugly building.

If you wish to find out more about the history, sure Peter Hargreaves (seek him out in Oswaldtwistle Mills) will only be too happy to help you.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 20:46   #7
I am Banned

[quote=Bob Dobson;713458]There's no way they would be Yorkshire stone flags - almost certainly they would be quarried within ten miles of Accrington - perhaps as far away as Longridge.

Probably Ashlar from local quaries, there were quite a few in the local area that are now filled in and built over.
I can't see them stopping a train on Woodnook Bridge to off load paving flags. Yorkshre stone was used to face the old Fire Station and the cop shop, the bloke who had the contract for that went bankrupt.
Different colour altogether
Retlaw.
Old 13-05-2009, 20:55   #8
Senior Member+

There is a smashing book called "WOODNOOK MILLS - Accrington" -Two centuries of textile history" by a local man Mr Mike Booth. This was printed in 1999 and a copy can be seen in the Local Studies of Accrington Library.
Here in Accrington this mill was targeted by Power Loom rioters from Haslingden. On Mon 24th April 1826 Woodnook's power looms were seen, like many other power looms in the district, as being the cause of the hardship suffered by the handloom weavers. What history being swept away!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:10   #9
Senior Member+

Woodnook mill.

There has been a "gap" in the demolishing of this mill, but the workers have been back there for about a week now.

Lots of the building now gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept2009c.jpg (193.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 01-10-2009 at 11:12.
Old 01-10-2009, 15:53   #10
I am Banned

Re: Woodnook mill.

Just had a look at Highams old mill & took some photos.
Also the stones in the old wall.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highams Bath St. 01-10-09.jpg (416.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Highams Nuttall St. 01-10-09.JPG (497.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Woodnook Bridge..jpg (283.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Woodnook Old Bridge..jpg (260.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-10-2009, 16:39   #11
I am Banned

Re: WOODNOOK MILL.

Quote:
There is a smashing book called "WOODNOOK MILLS - Accrington" -Two centuries of textile history" by a local man Mr Mike Booth. This was printed in 1999 and a copy can be seen in the Local Studies of Accrington Library.
Here in Accrington this mill was targeted by Power Loom rioters from Haslingden. On Mon 24th April 1826 Woodnook's power looms were seen, like many other power looms in the district, as being the cause of the hardship suffered by the handloom weavers. What history being swept away!
Woodnook Mill is on the Factory Bottom facing the end of Major St. I don't think Highams Mill was built when the loom riots were on. There was a smaller mill on the Bath St end in them days.

Retlaw.
Old 01-10-2009, 17:00   #12
God Member

Once again atarah interesting thread, see why its to be pulled down due to dis repair but also a shame that another landmark heritage is to disappear. Am i right in thinking it was used as scene for the nature of the beast film?

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Once again atarah interesting thread, see why its to be pulled down due to dis repair but also a shame that another landmark heritage is to disappear. Am i right in thinking it was used as scene for the nature of the beast film?

Spot on - there was a scene shot in front of the gates round the side of the building
Old 04-10-2009, 14:11   #14
Senior Member+

Woodnook mill.

Wonder what will happen to all the Nori brick used on this factory building (with terra cotta decorations)? Its a five storey mill, wonder how many bricks they used? Wonder will they make a big fuss of dismantling the circular brick chimney?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept2009t.jpg (324.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg WNMillSept9th2009_17.jpg (252.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-10-2009, 15:35   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Wonder what will happen to all the Nori brick used on this factory building (with terra cotta decorations)? Its a five storey mill, wonder how many bricks they used? Wonder will they make a big fuss of dismantling the circular brick chimney?
Probably ground up for land fill. I don't think theres enough room to do a Fred Dibnah on that chimney, may have to start at the top and remove it bit by bit.
As a comparison there's usually 1/4 million bricks used in making a 200 ft chimney.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..