Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20   #136
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
just wanted to congratulate retlaw on his exhibition at howarth art gallery , which i visited on saturday, there was a picture of a Pte J Ormerod was he my gt grandfather 27670 L.N.L ?
James Ormerod. Private 27670. Loyal North Lancs.
lived at 9 Stone Row, Clayton le Moors.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
James Ormerod. Private 27670. Loyal North Lancs.
lived at 9 Stone Row, Clayton le Moors.

Retlaw

Thats right , but you had a photograph on display of a Pte J Ormerod i wanted to know if it was him
Old 02-08-2010, 13:05   #138
I am Banned

Quote:
Thats right , but you had a photograph on display of a Pte J Ormerod i wanted to know if it was him
The J. Ormerod in the display is James Ormerod Private in the East Lancs, one of 3 brothers of New Lane, Oswaldtwistle, who served in the forces.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-08-2010 at 13:07.
Old 02-08-2010, 14:10   #139

fiddlesticks !!!!

did all soldiers have photo taken? how would i find the photo of my james ormerod?

Last edited by CHAZ1975; 02-08-2010 at 14:12.
CHAZ1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:36   #140
I am Banned

Quote:
fiddlesticks !!!!

did all soldiers have photo taken? how would i find the photo of my james ormerod?
Whats with the fiddlesticks. ?
Most soldiers had their photo's taken in uniform, to send home to relatives.
As for your james ormerod if I haven't got his picture, then your going to have to ask any of his surviving relatives if they have one.
Retlaw
Old 03-08-2010, 12:15   #141

I tried ****** but the swear filter got me ha ha ha!! he only has 3 children left and i know 2 haven't got A picture the 3rd i've not seen since i was a child

thanks anyway
Old 09-08-2010, 19:23   #142
I am Banned

Is this what you are after.
I can anticipate the next question, what does it all mean.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg West. Robert. 12830-M.C..jpg (172.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-08-2010, 20:47   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Is this what you are after.
I can anticipate the next question, what does it all mean.

Retlaw.
Nice one Retlaw
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30   #144

No i understand most of that apart from what was that saying happened on 14/3/1919 , is that when his service ended ? i know it says he was in france but i believe he was also in salonica and while he was there contracted malaria on number of occaisions
Old 10-08-2010, 08:53   #145

Do you have any personal details of him ? where he lived ? mothers/fathers name etc?
Old 10-08-2010, 13:25   #146
I am Banned

Quote:
No i understand most of that apart from what was that saying happened on 14/3/1919 , is that when his service ended ? i know it says he was in france but i believe he was also in salonica and while he was there contracted malaria on number of occaisions
Discharged to Class Z Army reserve in 1919.
awarded the 1915 Star when he went to France in Sept 1915. Soldiers went all over the world during WW1, some with as many as five different postings and regiments.
Unless he lived in Greater Accrington, I won't know of him.

Retlaw.
Old 11-08-2010, 16:36   #147
Junior Member+

Went up there today .
Spent some time looking but to no avail .
Looks like there are no pics for me.
There again I did like seeing the pics.
A lot of work,thought and detemination gone into this collection. I was well impressed, thanks
s.pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 16:40   #148
Senior Member+

Retlaw, my grandfather(mothers side) was Thomas Barnes, originally from Baxenden I think,lived on Frederick Street in the 40's.
As I remember, he may have lied about his age to join up. He was a British Army boxing champion(featherweight or lightweight??) he said, he certainly had the flattest nose I've ever seen!
My grandmother always said he was as mad(or stupid) as he was because a German smashed a rifle butt on his head.I'm sure she said he had to have his helmet cut off or levered off, although I can't see that. I'm sure I have a photo of him in his uniform. If it's any use to you I'll try to find it.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:04   #149
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Retlaw, my grandfather(mothers side) was Thomas Barnes, originally from Baxenden I think,lived on Frederick Street in the 40's.
As I remember, he may have lied about his age to join up. He was a British Army boxing champion(featherweight or lightweight??) he said, he certainly had the flattest nose I've ever seen!
My grandmother always said he was as mad(or stupid) as he was because a German smashed a rifle butt on his head.I'm sure she said he had to have his helmet cut off or levered off, although I can't see that. I'm sure I have a photo of him in his uniform. If it's any use to you I'll try to find it.
Thomas Barnes.
Sgt, 13337. Cameronians.
Awarded M.M. Oct 1916.
Parents lived at 18 Hill St, Baxenden.
Wife & one child lived at 42 Frederick St, Acc.

Retlaw.
Old 14-09-2010, 11:53   #150
Senior Member+

I'd no idea he was awarded the Military Medal, he never mentioned it but then he never mentioned the War. Perhaps the happy hours he spent in the trenches and trudging across No-Mans-Land explain why his behaviour was sometimes a little strange? PTS or shell shock?
Thanks for that info, Retlaw, I spent last night trying to find out more(unsuccessfully) but I'll keep looking.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..