Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2011, 23:01   #166
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod View Post
Hi Just stumbled across this great website !!. I'm interested in the Duckett family. My Grand uncle ? was James Francis Duckett who was killed at Ypres on 14th September 1917. He lived at Liina St. I would be very greatful to anyone with info. on anything Duckett related....Many Thanks....................... PS Retlaw I think you're doing a fantastic job
Is this what you are after.
James Francis Ducket.
Private. 240352. 1/5th East Lancs
K.i.A. Sept 14/15th 1917
Buried in Reservoir Cemetery, Ypres.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duckett. James F. Pte. 2008. 5th E.L.9-17..JPG (207.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-02-2011 at 23:06.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2011, 09:39   #167
tod
Junior Member+

Many thanks Retlaw, thats fantastic. I must admit, I didn't have much interest in the 2 world wars, but now I'm hooked. Especially the first world war and The Pals...Thanks again....Tod.
tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57   #168

I wonder if you can help with this one...
I think I posted some time ago about my ancestor John Southworth. I have found out that he served in the Great war and was part of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. The number given on his service record is 2874.
He is a bit of an enigma as his obituary in The Accrington Observer (18th Feb 1933) says he served as a painter and decorator with the Accrington and Church Co-operative society for 23 years (he died in 1933 - so his employment would have begun in around 1913), served in The Great War and was a prisoner of war in Germany for over three years.
John was not born in Accrington, but in Chorley in 1884. On his service records he lists his residence as being 40 Peel Hall Street Preston. I find this odd since he was working for an Accrington based firm in 1913, but joined the army in 1914.
I would really like to find out about his time spent as a prisoner of war and also about when he got back. He married his wife Esther in 1927 and died in February 1933, where he was buried by the Accrington and Church Co-operative society.
I am not sure if John was really an Accrington man, but he ended his days as one, dying at 24 Maden Street, Accrington. If anyone can provide help on how to find out where he would have been held in Germany I would be very grateful.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46   #169

John was living in Church at 72a Lion Street in 1911 along with his mother as boarders with his sister Jane Halliday and her family.

He is listed as a House Painter on the census .
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32   #170
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
I wonder if you can help with this one...
I think I posted some time ago about my ancestor John Southworth. I have found out that he served in the Great war and was part of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. The number given on his service record is 2874.
He is a bit of an enigma as his obituary in The Accrington Observer (18th Feb 1933) says he served as a painter and decorator with the Accrington and Church Co-operative society for 23 years (he died in 1933 - so his employment would have begun in around 1913), served in The Great War and was a prisoner of war in Germany for over three years.
John was not born in Accrington, but in Chorley in 1884. On his service records he lists his residence as being 40 Peel Hall Street Preston. I find this odd since he was working for an Accrington based firm in 1913, but joined the army in 1914.
I would really like to find out about his time spent as a prisoner of war and also about when he got back. He married his wife Esther in 1927 and died in February 1933, where he was buried by the Accrington and Church Co-operative society.
I am not sure if John was really an Accrington man, but he ended his days as one, dying at 24 Maden Street, Accrington. If anyone can provide help on how to find out where he would have been held in Germany I would be very grateful.
When John attended the P-O-W. Welcome home ceremony in January 1919, he gave his address as 25 Commercial St, Church.
If you have his service papers, and it doesn't mention a German P-O-W Camp, then your only hope is the Red Cross Society records, which have not yet come on line, as they are in Geneva, and could be years yet.
I never foundd a report of his being taken prisoner in the local newspapers, but if he was not a native of Accrington, then it may have been reported in his home town.
Retlaw
Old 01-03-2011, 13:21   #171

Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies!! It makes sense that he was in Accrington around the time he joined up! His army records show that his medals and effects were sent to his mother Elizabeth - she signed for them - and also that he was missing, presumed dead. What a terrible thing for a family to go through, when he was alive, albeit somewhere in Germany. I will get on with having a look at newspapers in Preston around the time as the Preston address is where it is listed his mother and father were living when he joined up. Thanks again.
Is there a copy of the welcome home ceremony attendees Retlaw? I would very much like to see it.
Old 01-03-2011, 18:04   #172
I am Banned

Quote:
Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies!! It makes sense that he was in Accrington around the time he joined up! His army records show that his medals and effects were sent to his mother Elizabeth - she signed for them - and also that he was missing, presumed dead. What a terrible thing for a family to go through, when he was alive, albeit somewhere in Germany. I will get on with having a look at newspapers in Preston around the time as the Preston address is where it is listed his mother and father were living when he joined up. Thanks again.
Is there a copy of the welcome home ceremony attendees Retlaw? I would very much like to see it.
Yes in Accrington library, its just a list of surnames, first Initial, and an address, to any one else other than a family member its just a meaningless list of names.
Retlaw.
Old 01-03-2011, 19:59   #173
I am Banned

Quote:
I've had a look at John's surviving records, and there are several papers missing, his medical report would have shown his state of health & when he was discharged. His Z11 would have shown where he was going to live on discharge, there is also an anomaly as to why his mother acknowledged reciept of with B.W.M. & V.M., whilst John signed for his 15/15 star in 1920.
You say he was born in 1895, then he would have been in employment in 1910, possibly from when he was 12 or 13 years of age.
During my searches I have found several mens papers in the wrong file, so if I come across any of his papers, I will save them and send them on. I always report these errors to Ancestry.
I got an acknowledgement from Ancestry last week, for the last batch of errors I sent in, 13 men wrongly named
Retlaw
Old 04-03-2011, 17:41   #174

What does this anomaly mean? Would the fact that he was POW have anything to do with it? Have your searches come up with anything to show he was a POW? The only reason I think he was POW was because it says so in his obituary - Accrington Observer 18th Feb 1933. Also its good to hear you are on Ancestry - if you like I could add you as a friend on there so you can look at my tree if you like - lots of Haworths on there!! John's wife is the Haworth line I am researching.
Old 04-03-2011, 20:54   #175
I am Banned

Quote:
What does this anomaly mean? Would the fact that he was POW have anything to do with it? Have your searches come up with anything to show he was a POW? The only reason I think he was POW was because it says so in his obituary - Accrington Observer 18th Feb 1933. Also its good to hear you are on Ancestry - if you like I could add you as a friend on there so you can look at my tree if you like - lots of Haworths on there!! John's wife is the Haworth line I am researching.
The anomaly is that medals were not issued until 1921/22, he signs for his 14/15 Star, and his mother signs for the B.W.M. & the V.M.
He is in the repatriated P-o-W list. All British P-o-W's were home by the end of February 1919, Jerry P-o-W's had to wait, some were still being held in camps until late 1919.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-03-2011 at 21:04.
Old 05-03-2011, 14:02   #176
tod
Junior Member+

Hi, Does anyone know if theres a website with photos of the pals.I seem to remember readiing there was an exhibition of them sometime ago,but as I don't live in the area it would be nice to see.....many thanks Tod
Old 05-03-2011, 14:05   #177
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

There was n exhibition up Haworth Park awhile back tod, i went, am sure Retlaw or Atarah etc will know if theres a website, i never seen one.
Old 05-03-2011, 14:28   #178
tod
Junior Member+

Thanks Cashman
Old 05-03-2011, 15:42   #179
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod View Post
Hi, Does anyone know if theres a website with photos of the pals.I seem to remember readiing there was an exhibition of them sometime ago,but as I don't live in the area it would be nice to see.....many thanks Tod
The exihibition only gets put up in time for July 1st, at the present moment, all the pictures, and the Pals Memorial scroll, are in my front room.

Retlaw.
Old 05-03-2011, 17:06   #180
tod
Junior Member+

Thanks Retlaw, It would be nice to think that one day there could be a website so people far away could see it all, but at least it is in safe hands. Thanks again

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..