Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 19:44   #181
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod View Post
Thanks Retlaw, It would be nice to think that one day there could be a website so people far away could see it all, but at least it is in safe hands. Thanks again
I doubt if there will be a website, lots of people have said they should be online, ok, but there are several 1000 pictures, and it would take up a lot of web space, who creates the web site, who pays for it, and what would I gain after all that work.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04   #182
tod
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I doubt if there will be a website, lots of people have said they should be online, ok, but there are several 1000 pictures, and it would take up a lot of web space, who creates the web site, who pays for it, and what would I gain after all that work.
Retlaw
Good morning Retlaw.To be honest, I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to do all that work etc. either and you are very helpful on here anyway.Keep up the good work............tod
tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 14:53   #183
Full Member+

Hi Walter,
Thanks for the info on Stephen Kennedy (15121). Is there any chance you could post his medal card on here? If not, can you let me know what his "theatre of war" was?
Also, what does the abbreviation R.F.A. stand for on your e-mail?
Steve
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 18:16   #184
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Hi Walter,
Thanks for the info on Stephen Kennedy (15121). Is there any chance you could post his medal card on here? If not, can you let me know what his "theatre of war" was?
Also, what does the abbreviation R.F.A. stand for on your e-mail?
Steve
I've attached his medal Card.
He was in France.
Class Z, means he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve

R.F.A. = Royal Field Artillery.
R.G.A. = Royal Garrison Artillery
There was also the County Palatine Artillery.
Church Artillery.
Accrington & Burnley Howitzers.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kennedy. Stephen. 15121-N&D.-M.C..jpg (200.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-04-2011 at 18:19.
Old 17-04-2011, 19:33   #185
Full Member+

Fantastic! Thanks.
Old 26-05-2011, 05:57   #186

Good morning Retlaw, Im trying to find out if my grandad, Patrick Gilmartin, served in WW1, he would have resided, in iether Willow St, Or Lower Barnes St, Clayton, & Which site do I go to, to find my dads service, record, in ww2, he served in India. And also I though it would be nice if I could wear a medal on ANZAC day, on behalf of my great uncle Anthony Gilmartin, who was killed in Galipolli, where would I get such a medal, just to show he has'nt been forgoten.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:18   #187
Full Member+

Hi Alan, check this out - there's mention of a William Gilmartin living at 23 Willow St.
Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Clayton-le-Moors | Polling District K
Old 26-05-2011, 08:19   #188
Full Member+

.....could he be your grandads brother?
Old 26-05-2011, 09:13   #189

Thanks but, Im pretty sure he didnt have a brother called William or Billy
Old 26-05-2011, 09:34   #190
JCB

Through Accy Web and some pms I have found out that the three Broadleys on the Accrington war memorial were related to me . I never knew that . I have also discovered that my dad had three and not two sisters . One died aged one year old. That was a complete surprise .

Last edited by JCB; 26-05-2011 at 09:34. Reason: cor
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 09:50   #191

Well Steve & Retlaw, my brother just rang me, my grandad indeed did have a brother Billy, and my grandad worked down Dicky pit so he was exempt from going to war. I'd still like to have some form of recogntion for Anthony Gilmartin.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:44   #192
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Well Steve & Retlaw, my brother just rang me, my grandad indeed did have a brother Billy, and my grandad worked down Dicky pit so he was exempt from going to war. I'd still like to have some form of recogntion for Anthony Gilmartin.
HI Alan
I've attached a news cutting of Anthony, can't remember if I've done it before.
William Gilmartin
Private 15208. 11th East lancs.
lived at 23 Willow St Clayton.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gilmartin. A. Pte. L.N.L.9-15..jpg (498.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 26-05-2011, 11:48   #193
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Through Accy Web and some pms I have found out that the three Broadleys on the Accrington war memorial were related to me . I never knew that . I have also discovered that my dad had three and not two sisters . One died aged one year old. That was a complete surprise .
I have done a lot of work on those Broadleys,
and have been in contact with several of their
surviving relatives.
Retlaw.

Old 26-05-2011, 12:07   #194
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Good morning Retlaw, Im trying to find out if my grandad, Patrick Gilmartin, served in WW1, he would have resided, in iether Willow St, Or Lower Barnes St, Clayton, & Which site do I go to, to find my dads service, record, in ww2, he served in India. And also I though it would be nice if I could wear a medal on ANZAC day, on behalf of my great uncle Anthony Gilmartin, who was killed in Galipolli, where would I get such a medal, just to show he has'nt been forgoten.
Hi Alan
I do not have any record of a Patrick Gilmartin in my files. WW2 Service records are not available on line, they are available by snail mail to a direct descendant, sorry I no longer have the address of where to apply,
Fulwood Museum will know. As for the medals, try awardmedals.com/british-war-medal-1914-1920-p-455-html
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-05-2011 at 12:09. Reason: adding
Old 26-05-2011, 12:20   #195
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Hi Alan, check this out - there's mention of a William Gilmartin living at 23 Willow St.
Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Clayton-le-Moors | Polling District K
I indexed all the local 1918 Absent Voters list about 10 years ago, there are several hundred mistakes in them, they were not compiled by the soldiers them selves, some of the mistakes include numbers tranposed, wrong regiments, misspelt christian names, even two men who had been killed in 1916, and several men who had been discharged, and were no longer serving, when those lists were compiled. My indexes have been corrected from known military sources.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..