Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2011, 05:08   #226

Re: World War 1

Thanks Kate, only just seen this post, only 2 months late. Pleased to see they have been replaced. My uncle Anthony is on there.There is another one in St Mary's church, in Marble.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2011, 10:49   #227
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
A new member - with a new name for your research.
My gr-gr-grandfather was Tom Burton 75033. He appears on the Absent Voters List and lived at 108 Henry Street, Church. He survived the war and died in 1956. He enlisted on 7 Jan 1915 and appears to have been posted directly to France with the Royal Field Artillery.
It would be fantastic if you could shed any further light on this area of my search.
Would love to hear from you.
SuziQ
Your Gr-Gr-Grandfather was
Burton. Tom.
Driver 75033. B149. Royal Field Artillery.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burton. Tom. Dvr. 75033-9-18.JPG (195.6 KB, 36 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:14   #228
Junior Member+

Retlaw - thank you sooo much for the thumbnail. My mum's cousin had told me that there had been some citation by the French president and he thought it was the 'Croix de Guerre' but I could never find any record of such an award!! I have also tried fishing a little about his arenas of war, but as yet haven't come across any. Thanks to you I have something.
Where did you get the newspaper article? Have you any idea when that was dated?
So pleased

SuziQ
SuziQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:21   #229
I am Banned

Quote:
Retlaw - thank you sooo much for the thumbnail. My mum's cousin had told me that there had been some citation by the French president and he thought it was the 'Croix de Guerre' but I could never find any record of such an award!! I have also tried fishing a little about his arenas of war, but as yet haven't come across any. Thanks to you I have something.
Where did you get the newspaper article? Have you any idea when that was dated?
So pleased

SuziQ
The date is on the bottom of the photo 9-18.
Thats Accy Observer Sept 1918.
The article tells you where he was when he got the award, the only way to find out where he was during the rest of his time in France, are the war diaries.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-09-2011 at 21:24. Reason: Spelling
Old 28-09-2011, 21:33   #230
Junior Member+

I'm really chuffed at this piece of information The thing is I had left this to one side to concentrate on other bits of information, but I'm just sat here with a big grin on my face, tears in my eyes, and dancing on the inside!
Just need to find the citation now. I know Tom's eldest son had it at one time, but no-one knows what has happened to it. With your information, I now have to locate it at least!
Old 28-09-2011, 21:36   #231
I am Banned

Tom enlisted 7-1-1915, lived in Bradley St Church.
married Mary Jane Walker 7-6-1906.
3 children Wilfred, James Henry & Tom.
Tom contacted flu in Nov 1918 & spent ten days in Queen Marys Hospital, he was discharged from the army K.R. para 392 (xxviii) 31-3-1920.

Retlaw.
Old 28-09-2011, 21:41   #232
Junior Member+

Yes thanks, I've got all that. I've got a copy of his enlistment and service history. It doesn't mention the Croix de Guerre on his medal card, but then I suppose if it was awarded by the French it may not be.
He also had a daughter Florence who was born Feb 1919.
Thanks for the info.
SuziQ
Old 28-09-2011, 21:41   #233
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm really chuffed at this piece of information The thing is I had left this to one side to concentrate on other bits of information, but I'm just sat here with a big grin on my face, tears in my eyes, and dancing on the inside!
Just need to find the citation now. I know Tom's eldest son had it at one time, but no-one knows what has happened to it. With your information, I now have to locate it at least!
Probably gone the same way as a lot of WW1 stuff.
As well as the citation there should also be the actual medal. If you do one of them goggles there will be plenty of sites that will show a frog medal.

Retlaw.
Old 28-09-2011, 21:47   #234
I am Banned

Quote:
Yes thanks, I've got all that. I've got a copy of his enlistment and service history. It doesn't mention the Croix de Guerre on his medal card, but then I suppose if it was awarded by the French it may not be.
Only British awards wil show on his medal card.
He also had a daughter Florence who was born Feb 1919.
Thanks for the info.
SuziQ
Have you tried the London Gazette, 90% of miitary awards are in there, if he got the Croix de Guerre, he most likely got the M.M., as well
Retlaw
Old 29-11-2011, 22:05   #235
I am Banned

Memorial to Harry Patch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merset-15935581

Retlaw.
Old 30-11-2011, 23:01   #236
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Memorial to Harry Patch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...merset-15935581

Retlaw.
Reckon thats a damn good idea.
Old 30-11-2011, 23:21   #237
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Reckon thats a damn good idea.
Well(s) done Wells.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 16:52   #238
Junior Member+

Hi Retlaw. Do you know is Pte 22182 Joseph Sherburne went over the top with the Accrington pals on the 1st July. I belive he was posted to the 11 ELR on 14 may 1916 and wounded on 6 August 1916 but is there any roll of the men of the 11 ELR who went over the top and came back.
SALONIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 18:36   #239
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALONIKA View Post
Hi Retlaw. Do you know is Pte 22182 Joseph Sherburne went over the top with the Accrington pals on the 1st July. I belive he was posted to the 11 ELR on 14 may 1916 and wounded on 6 August 1916 but is there any roll of the men of the 11 ELR who went over the top and came back.
Yes he was age 29, a Cloth Finisher enlisted 26-Nov-1915, posted to B.E.F. I.B.D. 30 13-Mar-1916, posted to 11th 25-May 1916 whilst they were at Courcelles.
Wounded 6-08-1916, treated at C.C.S., rejoined unit 14-June-1916. Discharged at Prees Heath 13-02-1919
Lived at 44 Cross St & at 4 Wesley St Ossy.

Yes I have lists of the Accrington Pals, & lists of all who served in the 11th East Lancs, lists of wounded, lists of killed, lists of deserters, lists of medal winners, where when & why, list of where buried, where commemorated, lists of War Memorials, hundreds of pages of info.
Retlaw
Old 03-01-2012, 18:53   #240
I am Banned

Should read 13-May-1916, dammed ten mins time limit on editor is a nuisance.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..