Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 19:03   #241
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Should read 13-May-1916, dammed ten mins time limit on editor is a nuisance.
Retlaw.
You get 10 minutes?

Compared to the rest of us only having 5 minutes, you're almost a mod'

P.S. How much would you pay to alter it to 15 minutes? Or would you rather be like the infamous Jambutty and keep complaining about what you get for nowt?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2012, 19:36   #242
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You get 10 minutes?

P.S. How much would you pay to alter it to 15 minutes? Or would you rather be like the infamous Jambutty and keep complaining about what you get for nowt?

Had to answer front door, thats why I ran out of time.
I'll leave the moaning, bitching, & sarcasm to you,

didn't know you were a jambutty fan, do you miss him, he's been banned on Blackburn Web.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:42   #243
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
[B[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
didn't know you were a jambutty fan, do you miss him, he's been banned on Blackburn Web.
Retlaw
Hell thats a shock.
Old 03-01-2012, 21:53   #244
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You get 10 minutes?

5 minutes is plenty for most men Less

I get 10 minutes, don't know about anyone else.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 16:20   #245
Junior Member+

Hi Retlaw. Many thanks for the information on Pte Sherburne. There are a lot of books on the Accrington pals but if you could only recommend one which one would it B also where can i get hold of a roll of the 11ELR who went over the top on that terrible day.
SALONIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:09   #246
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALONIKA View Post
Hi Retlaw. Many thanks for the information on Pte Sherburne. There are a lot of books on the Accrington pals but if you could only recommend one which one would it B also where can i get hold of a roll of the 11ELR who went over the top on that terrible day.
PALS. The 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington)
East Lancashire Regiment
William Turner
ISBN 0 9507892 4 0
Starting on page 212 is a list of the men who served in the 11th East Lancs, supplied to Bill by Fergus Read. 40 of those men never served in the 11th East Lancs, 23 are double entries, since that book was printed I've found a further 672 men who had 11th East Lancs stamped in their Small Book.
As for how many went over the top on July 1st 1916. When Bill was in hospital he asked me to let him know the true figures for July 1st, I worked on that file for best part of 4 days, biography of every man, some with a picture, I printed it out, and was on my way to visit Bill, when his daughter rang to say he had just died, not looked at it since.
All I'm doing is carrying on his last request, that is to find every thing I can, about all the men who ever served in the Battalion. 4265 men.
Retlaw.
Old 29-04-2012, 15:37   #247

Retlaw, I wonder please if you have any information in your records on Pte Herbert Jenkinson 27843. I understand he was in the East Lancs Regiment He has come up in my wifes family tree research as the first husband of her grandma Sarah. He is said to have lived on Havelock Street Oswaldtwislte
Many thanks
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 18:12   #248
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Retlaw, I wonder please if you have any information in your records on Pte Herbert Jenkinson 27843. I understand he was in the East Lancs Regiment He has come up in my wifes family tree research as the first husband of her grandma Sarah. He is said to have lived on Havelock Street Oswaldtwislte
Many thanks
Mark
Not got much on Herbert, not found any thing in the papers.
The Absent Voters list shows he lived at 10 Havelock St, Oss. The East Lancs records show he served in the 1st & 2nd Battalions
Attached is his Medal Card, which is proof that he served abroad at some point.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenkinson. Herbert. 27843-E.L.-M.C..jpg (146.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 29-04-2012, 18:33   #249

Thanks very much for that
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 22:32   #250
I am Banned

29 April 1916, the 2nd day of the Accrington Pals 1st tour of duty, in the trenches. 11-30 pm bombardment on the left flank, Battalion "stood to" till 1-30 am 30-4-1916, the Pals were eventually relieved by the 13th East Yorks on May 6th, casualties during the period in the trenches 2 killed 1 died of wounds & 7 wounded.
During those 8 days the Pals not on watch, were employed improving the trenches, digging new communication trenches, and digging saps for advanced listening posts
Retlaw.
Old 30-04-2012, 13:27   #251

Medals of 2nd Lt. Frank Bamford Cobbin for sale on eBay (start £120). Born Bingley - Private in Manchester Regt, then caught meningitis and ended up in hospital in Canada. Joined Saskatoon Regt of Canadian Army in 1917. Commissioned into 11th East Lancs as 2nd Lt. 15/4/1918. Served in WW2 in RAOC.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 14:22   #252
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Medals of 2nd Lt. Frank Bamford Cobbin for sale on eBay (start £120). Born Bingley - Private in Manchester Regt, then caught meningitis and ended up in hospital in Canada. Joined Saskatoon Regt of Canadian Army in 1917. Commissioned into 11th East Lancs as 2nd Lt. 15/4/1918. Served in WW2 in RAOC.
There is no record of a Cobbin serving in the 11th East Lancs,
nothing in the War Diaries April 1918 of any officers joining the battalion, the whole story sounds a bit off, why would a private in the Manchesters be sent to a Canadian hospital.
And before he could join the Canadian Army, he would first have to be discharged from the British Army, and that could only have been done by the British Army Medical Board.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-04-2012 at 14:25.
Old 30-04-2012, 15:17   #253

71 pages of documentation offered with medals. London Gazette apparently refers to the Commission.
"I tell the truth as it was told to me. I do not know what the truth may be."
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 17:28   #254
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
71 pages of documentation offered with medals. London Gazette apparently refers to the Commission.
"I tell the truth as it was told to me. I do not know what the truth may be."
His attestaton paper shows he was born Nov 10th 1895, in England, previous military service 2 1/2 years 1st C.E.F., applied for a commission March 7th 1917.
Address 294 Alfred Ave, Winnipeg, occupation Student. Next of kin Mother 95 Whipcord Lane Chester, England. From the dates, it looks like he originally enlisted in the Canadian forces in 1914.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-04-2012 at 17:32.
Old 18-06-2012, 13:27   #255
Senior Member+

Smashing article in todays Lancashire Evening Telegraph about research done on the Accrington Pals
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..