Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2012, 13:44   #256
Beacon of light

Re: World War 1

Yes, I second that Atarah.......and congratulate Retlaw on his work....and give him my thanks for that work. Because of him, more details of the brave lads are known and can be recognised for their bravery.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2013, 16:24   #257
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
If you are saying there is an "A Swann" on the RoH I can probably identify it for you - but not if it's "A Swan". Let me know.
Are you still searching for Swann's. I was recently in the LIbrary looking through the old news papers, and came across this in the February 10th 1945 Observer .
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:50   #258
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are you still searching for Swann's. I was recently in the LIbrary looking through the old news papers, and came across this in the February 10th 1945 Observer .
Forgot to add the news cutting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0200.JPG (307.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 20:56   #259

Hello All,

This seemed like as good a place as any to post my enquiry, So....

My name is Sarah Brown (i'm new to the forum) and I am the great grand daughter of Ernest Percy Brown (20 Jan 1895 - 09 Feb 1968), L/197, Accrington and Burnley Howitzer Bde. According to his service record (which I have a copy of, but it's blurry) he joined whilst living with his father William Brown at 72 Westwood Rd, 15 Feb 1915. Under the campaign section of his service record it's written "France 6-17-18".

I have his medal (with no ribbon) but would love to know as much as possible about him and if possible perhaps someone might have a picture of him in uniform (my dad would love this)I thought it's worth a try. So please get in touch if you have any information about him.

Thanks in advance

Sarah
SarahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 22:00   #260
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
Hello All,

This seemed like as good a place as any to post my enquiry, So....

My name is Sarah Brown (i'm new to the forum) and I am the great grand daughter of Ernest Percy Brown (20 Jan 1895 - 09 Feb 1968), L/197, Accrington and Burnley Howitzer Bde. According to his service record (which I have a copy of, but it's blurry) he joined whilst living with his father William Brown at 72 Westwood Rd, 15 Feb 1915. Under the campaign section of his service record it's written "France 6-17-18".

I have his medal (with no ribbon) but would love to know as much as possible about him and if possible perhaps someone might have a picture of him in uniform (my dad would love this)I thought it's worth a try. So please get in touch if you have any information about him.

Thanks in advance

Sarah
Ernest Brown. L/Bmbdr L/197, went to France in February 1916, he was awarded the M.M. 6-07-1918, his name is on the St Mary Magdelen R-O-H. He is on a group photograph in the A.O.&.T, in Sept 1915. He had 3 medals B.W.M, V.M, & the M.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown. E. Gnr. R.F.A..JPG (99.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-04-2013 at 22:02.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48   #261

Oh WOW! I am completely blown away! This is amazing, thank you so much And such a quick reply, you make it look easy I'll have to get on and find out what all those acronyms mean now. I can't even begin to explain how happy this is going to make my dad Thank you again

Sarah B
Old 07-04-2013, 14:12   #262
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
Oh WOW! I am completely blown away! This is amazing, thank you so much And such a quick reply, you make it look easy I'll have to get on and find out what all those acronyms mean now. I can't even begin to explain how happy this is going to make my dad Thank you again

Sarah B
acronyms
I wish people didn't use fancy words, i'd tu luk id up intut dikshoneury.
A.O.&.T. Accington Observer & times.
B.W.M. British War Medal.
V.M. Victory Medal.
M.M. Military Medal
claytonx and SarahB like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 19:23   #263

Thanks again Retlaw, I was having some trouble with the A.O & T one My dad is really pleased with the photograph and so am I

Sarah
Old 30-11-2013, 22:30   #264
I am Banned

Just read throgh this thread again.
Now that the anniversaries of WW1 are coming ever nearer, (99 years last August) what gets me is the number of people today who don't know who their Gt Grandfather or Gt Gt Uncle was, or that he probably fought in one of the bloodiest wars in recent history.

Over 500 men from Accrington alone served in the 11th East Lancs, and nearly 14.000 Greater Accrington (now Hyndburn) men & women served in WW1.
SarahB likes this.
Old 01-12-2013, 00:56   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just read throgh this thread again.
Now that the anniversaries of WW1 are coming ever nearer, (99 years last August) what gets me is the number of people today who don't know who their Gt Grandfather or Gt Gt Uncle was, or that he probably fought in one of the bloodiest wars in recent history.

Over 500 men from Accrington alone served in the 11th East Lancs, and nearly 14.000 Greater Accrington (now Hyndburn) men & women served in WW1.
I am guilty! I only knew my grandmother and grandfather on my mother's side and my grandmother on my father's side. I have a photograph of my father's father in military uniform, but I don't know his military history. He died long before I was born in 1954. I don't know who my great grandfathers were.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 18:17   #266

Hello Retlaw, my wife has a relative who she has located in her family tree research as follows -Riley Oldham dob 23/9/1896. Parents were Riley and Eliza Oldham. I have located a Riley Oldham on the 1918 absent voters list- 40198
Pte.
4th Res. Batt. East Lancs

I wonder please if from your research you would be able to say whether or not these were the same person and if you had any further informatjon about him?

Many thanks
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 18:58   #267
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Hello Retlaw, my wife has a relative who she has located in her family tree research as follows -Riley Oldham dob 23/9/1896. Parents were Riley and Eliza Oldham. I have located a Riley Oldham on the 1918 absent voters list- 40198
Pte.
4th Res. Batt. East Lancs

I wonder please if from your research you would be able to say whether or not these were the same person and if you had any further informatjon about him?

Many thanks
Mark
Pte. 40198. OLDHAM. Riley. 4th Reserve East Lancs. 4 Fern Gore, Oswaldtwistle.
Riley also served as Pte. 31054. Loyal North Lancs.
Just one thing the AVL-18 for Greater Accrington has hundreds of errors.
There never was a 4th Reserve East Lancs, the two reserve Battalions for the East Lancs Regiment were the 3rd E.L. & the 10th which became the 47th Reserve 10th Brigade in 1916. The 40198 No. suggests early 1918 for the East Lancs.

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-01-2014 at 19:00.
Old 08-01-2014, 22:34   #268

Hi Retlaw, how do I get my Dad, Norman & his brothers, Tom & Tony,Gilmartin military service records?. for the second W.W. Regards Alan.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 23:16   #269
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Hi Retlaw, how do I get my Dad, Norman & his brothers, Tom & Tony,Gilmartin military service records?. for the second W.W. Regards Alan.
Sorry I can't help much with WW2 records, from what I've seen about this subject on the Great War Forum, is that they are available to blood kin only, but it can be a long wait for a reply & can be expensive.
Haven't a clue what the address is, but you may find it on the web.
Old 08-01-2014, 23:51   #270
Full Member+

Hiya Retlaw,
Do you have any info on (yet another!) Gt uncle of mine? He was Walter White and he lost a leg in WW1. According to family legend he was dragged to safety by a Jimmy Crook of Ossy.
Cheers, Steve
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..