Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2014, 11:44   #316
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVB View Post
Retlaw - have you any information regarding my great grandfather, Arthur Beckett from Oswaldtwistle? He was in the reserves and called up during WW1 2/4th East Lancs. I have photos of him in his uniform. He survived the war and lived to the 1960s.
Also, any information on a Sergt. J Sharples of 1st Volunteer Battalion East Lancs Regt 'K' Clayton - le-Moors Company? I'm struggling to find any information about this man, but he must be somewhere in my family tree!
There is no Arthur Beckett in my files from Ossy. There is an Arthur Beckett on the Gt Harwood R-O-H, but his service No., is wrong on that R-O-H.
That Arthur's service records have survived, they are available on Ancestry, (free at the library).
As for Sgt J. Sharples, I have several J. Sharples in and around Clayton. but no Sergt's. Never heard of a "K" Clayton le Moors Coy.
You are going to have to be more specific about this man, there are many J. Sharples in the East Lancs Records.
What you are searching for often depends on your original source.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2014, 13:24   #317
JVB
Junior Member+

Sorry, you are right he lived at Greaves St, Gt Harwood and later moved to Ossy. I know his name was listed in the card files in Accy library a couple of years ago. I have this postcard he made.

As for J Sharples, I don't have a first name or town, but as I have Sharples in the family from Gt Harwood area that would be most likely. All I have is an item that is inscribed:
"1st Volunteer Battalion East Lancs Regt 'K' Clayton-le-Moors Company
Presented to Sergt J Sharples by the officers, NCOs and men of the above company as a token of their respect and appreciation of services rendered during the Great War 1914-1918."
It also has the East Lancs/Egypt crest on. Not a lot to go on unfortunately and I haven't been able to find out about K company.
If anyone can shed any light on it, that would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Postcard.jpg (264.8 KB, 16 views)
JVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 13:54   #318
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVB View Post
Sorry, you are right he lived at Greaves St, Gt Harwood and later moved to Ossy. I know his name was listed in the card files in Accy library a couple of years ago. I have this postcard he made.

As for J Sharples, I don't have a first name or town, but as I have Sharples in the family from Gt Harwood area that would be most likely. All I have is an item that is inscribed:
"1st Volunteer Battalion East Lancs Regt 'K' Clayton-le-Moors Company
Presented to Sergt J Sharples by the officers, NCOs and men of the above company as a token of their respect and appreciation of services rendered during the Great War 1914-1918."
It also has the East Lancs/Egypt crest on. Not a lot to go on unfortunately and I haven't been able to find out about K company.
If anyone can shed any light on it, that would be much appreciated.
Your Sgt J. Sharples, appears from your info that he was an old soldier in the Volunteers, helped train recruits, honourary title, never actually served, therefore no medal card or service records. There were two such men as Sergts in the 11th East Lancs, One of them W. Stanton, is at the front of the pictures on page 44, 45, in Bill Turners book on the Pals.
Old 30-09-2014, 14:12   #319
JVB
Junior Member+

Thanks for that - I had wondered whether it was something similar to the home guard or volunteer fire service of WW2. Certainly explains why I couldn't find much out. Also solves another puzzle, as the only J Sharples I had would have been almost 60 and therefore probably too old to fight.
Many thanks again.
JVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 17:09   #320
Junior Member+

My great uncle Arthur Sudders served and died in action during the 1st WW. He was born in Accrington. I have very little information about him sadly and no more family members alive to ask. Marie
sudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 20:14   #321
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudders View Post
My great uncle Arthur Sudders served and died in action during the 1st WW. He was born in Accrington. I have very little information about him sadly and no more family members alive to ask. Marie
Arthur Sudders.
Pte. 204625. 10th Yorks.
Born in Clayton. Parents resided at 152 Burnley Rd, Acc.
Wife Alice went to live at 128 Sparth Rd, Clayton
Canine Working Mens Club R-O-H.
K.I.A. Oct 5th 1917. No known grave.
Tyne Cot Memorial Belgium.
Abbey St Wesley War Memorial
Clayton War Memorial.
Accrington War Memorial

His brother James served in the R.F.A.
Old 04-10-2014, 20:22   #322
Junior Member+

Many thanks for the info.
Didn't know my Great Grandparents lived in Burnley Rd.
His other brother Charles (my grandfather) went out to Germany in the army of occupation in 1918.
I have a photo of him taken in the area of Bonn where I went to live in 1986. Had never bothered to look where it was taken until I after I had moved out here.
Am I able to get any information on Charles in the National Archives do you think?
Old 04-10-2014, 20:57   #323
I am Banned

Quote:
Many thanks for the info.
Didn't know my Great Grandparents lived in Burnley Rd.
His other brother Charles (my grandfather) went out to Germany in the army of occupation in 1918.
I have a photo of him taken in the area of Bonn where I went to live in 1986. Had never bothered to look where it was taken until I after I had moved out here.
Am I able to get any information on Charles in the National Archives do you think?
Never found anything about Sudders. C. Only that he is on the Canine Working Mens Club R-O-H. He has never appeared in any news articles in the local newspapers, he's not even in the Absent Voters list of 1918.
Old 04-10-2014, 21:53   #324
Junior Member+

Okay thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:59   #325
Senior Member+

Walter, you are a star. Know what Sudders, I have this little bit of info "at the back of my mind" and I may be totally wrong, but, something tells me that once, along Queens Rd West, a small memorial garden was made to the Sudders family (or a member of). The garden is still there now, but surprisingly, taken over by someone else. It was for a long time, not really looked after, and then, a few years back, it was changed into a small memorial garden for someone else. I will somehow, try and find more info on this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11   #326
Junior Member+

Now that sounds interesting, perhaps this is the other Sudders family in Accy. I've not been over for sometime now. Sadly mum and her sister died so no reason to come up so often.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28   #327
I am Banned

Quote:
Now that sounds interesting, perhaps this is the other Sudders family in Accy. I've not been over for sometime now. Sadly mum and her sister died so no reason to come up so often.
There was another Sudders family lived up Bash, two of their sons Daniel & Tom served in WW1. Check the 1911 census.
sudders likes this.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:54   #328
Junior Member+

Thanks for the info. Can find Tom but no Daniel.
Old 18-11-2014, 11:46   #329

hi Retlaw

37775 Pte H.P.Hodgkinson of East Lancs Regiment , do you have any info on this man?
Old 18-11-2014, 14:23   #330
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 View Post
hi Retlaw

37775 Pte H.P.Hodgkinson of East Lancs Regiment , do you have any info on this man?
There is no such man in my records, and the number 37775 is not in the East Lancs Records. You need to check his name on Acncestry, its free at any Lancashire Library.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..