Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2016, 17:26   #346

Re: World War 1

My grandfather Fred Todd served on Accrington Police Force but then joined the Guards machine gun company with service no 6797. From what I have read the Police did not seem to have been automatically exempt from conscription. (I had always presumed this would be a reserved occupation) .
I wonder if this was the case in Accrington as if the serving Police officers were conscripted , I can imagine a situation where it was difficult to maintain a Police force? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2016, 19:45   #347
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
My grandfather Fred Todd served on Accrington Police Force but then joined the Guards machine gun company with service no 6797. From what I have read the Police did not seem to have been automatically exempt from conscription. (I had always presumed this would be a reserved occupation) .
I wonder if this was the case in Accrington as if the serving Police officers were conscripted , I can imagine a situation where it was difficult to maintain a Police force? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
Several members of Accrington Borough Poice force were ex-military known as reservists, to be in Accy police at that time you had to be nigh on 6 ft or over, quite a number of them were recalled at the beginning of the war into the Guards, one served in the Queens Bays and took part in the Cavalry charge at Mons, capturing and disabling many Krupps guns.
When I was a kid I knew Fred and his brother Nathan. Nathan rose in the ranks in the police, and when he was riding around in the staff car wearing his best uniform, wi all that scrambled egg on his cap, and epaulettes we called him Herman Goring. Another I remember very well was Joe Firth, we meet up again when I started work at Langs, Joe was the security guard.
Even though they had their recall papers they had to get permission from the Watch Committee to leave for camp.

Hope this helps.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 13:19   #348

That is very useful to know
Many thanks, Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 20:57   #349
Junior Member+

I just joined this community. This is one of the threads I noted before I joined. I'm not sure whether my great uncle William Farrington is in your file. He had moved to America with his mother, stepfather, and a brother in 1909. In early 1916 he went to Canada and joined the army (pictured beside a chair). On 19 August 1916 he died in a training accident and is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. The cemetery website has two clippings from local Accrington newspapers which say that his brother Jeremiah Farrington who still lived in Accrington had been notified of his death. Jeremiah was a member of the Lancashire Constabulary from 1911 to 1916 (pictured in front of the stone monument).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg William Farrington- WWI.jpg (91.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Jeremiah Farrington Constable 2.jpg (167.8 KB, 21 views)
Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 21:34   #350
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
I just joined this community. This is one of the threads I noted before I joined. I'm not sure whether my great uncle William Farrington is in your file. He had moved to America with his mother, stepfather, and a brother in 1909. In early 1916 he went to Canada and joined the army (pictured beside a chair). On 19 August 1916 he died in a training accident and is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. The cemetery website has two clippings from local Accrington newspapers which say that his brother Jeremiah Farrington who still lived in Accrington had been notified of his death. Jeremiah was a member of the Lancashire Constabulary from 1911 to 1916 (pictured in front of the stone monument).
William did join the Canadian forces, his attestation paper is on the Canadian web site, William age 25 when he died was formerly a moulder at Lang Bridges Works, his brother was notified in Sept, 1916, he lived at 79 Lonsdale St. William is on St Peters Church memorial and on Accrington Memorial I have no records of a Jeremiah Farrington in Greater Accrington, Williams father was named Jeremiah. His mother is shown as N.O.K. Mrs Leyland of Pawtucket, R.I. U.S.A. --- Just seen tose pic in you post I think that the Jeremiah with the bandolier and rifle is not a Police constable, I think your basing that on the helmet those type of helmets were dress uniform issue in pre war infantry regimentc

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-01-2017 at 21:39.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:32   #351
Junior Member+

Hi again,
There were actually four generations of Jeremiah in the family. William's father was the third. He lived from 1856 until 1903. William's mother, Isabella Hill remarried (Fred Leyland) 3 July 1907.
I don't know about the uniform, helmet or bandolier Jeremiah is wearing in the picture. Family lore says he did not serve in the military during the war. I'm basing the reference to the Lancashire Constabulary on a document posted on a genealogy website by a cousin (attached) and my father's birth certificate. I would love to learn if there is any more significance to the uniform.
Jeremiah Farrington in the photo was born 24 June 1884 in Rochdale. In 1891 and 1901 he was with his parents living in Accrington. I can't quite read the address on the 1891 census, but it's 50 Canning or Conning Street. 1901 it's at the Pineapple on Elephant Street. The elder Jeremiah was an iron moulder in 1891 and innkeeper in 1901.
By 1911 the younger Jeremiah (1884-1965) was married to Susannah Barnes, also of Accrington, had a son Stanley born in Accrington and was living at 79 Lonsdale Street. In 1913 he had a second son (my father Norman) born in Newton in Makerfield. Jeremiah's occupation listed as Police Constable. By 1916 as you noted, he was back in Accrington at 79 Lonsdale Street. He immigrated to America in 1922 and also settled in Pawtucket Rhode Island. His wife and children followed a year later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeremiah Farrington Constable cert.jpg (49.9 KB, 17 views)
Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:48   #352
I am Banned

Quote:
Hi again,
There were actually four generations of Jeremiah in the family. William's father was the third. He lived from 1856 until 1903. William's mother, Isabella Hill remarried (Fred Leyland) 3 July 1907.
I don't know about the uniform, helmet or bandolier Jeremiah is wearing in the picture. Family lore says he did not serve in the military during the war. I'm basing the reference to the Lancashire Constabulary on a document posted on a genealogy website by a cousin (attached) and my father's birth certificate. I would love to learn if there is any more significance to the uniform.
Jeremiah Farrington in the photo was born 24 June 1884 in Rochdale. In 1891 and 1901 he was with his parents living in Accrington. I can't quite read the address on the 1891 census, but it's 50 Canning or Conning Street. 1901 it's at the Pineapple on Elephant Street. The elder Jeremiah was an iron moulder in 1891 and innkeeper in 1901.
By 1911 the younger Jeremiah (1884-1965) was married to Susannah Barnes, also of Accrington, had a son Stanley born in Accrington and was living at 79 Lonsdale Street. In 1913 he had a second son (my father Norman) born in Newton in Makerfield. Jeremiah's occupation listed as Police Constable. By 1916 as you noted, he was back in Accrington at 79 Lonsdale Street. He immigrated to America in 1922 and also settled in Pawtucket Rhode Island. His wife and children followed a year later.

Canning St I cannot find that street in the 1841/51/61 census returns, and I never completed the 1891 census, nor is the street mentioned in present day street guides of Accrington, the Pineapple was a small public-house, Elephant St, was a short street connecting Birtwistle St and Plantation St.
The strange thing about this is Pawtucket, that name appears a lot in my files, dozens of family's from Accrington & district went to live there both before and after WW1, I even have two men who came back to Accrington to enlist in the British Army.
Lonsdale St still exists, situated in the West of Accrington, running from Blackburn Rd to the Charter St & Pickup St junction,
As for the man in uniform with rifle and a bobbies helmet, I know some one who served in the Accrington Cop Shop, he's an old sparring partner of mine, I will ask him about whether the old Borough Police were ever issued with Rifles.
Old 06-01-2017, 13:01   #353
I am Banned

Quote:
Just been having another look at those two photo's, the 2nd one who you think is a bobbie stood in front of a monument, in the WW1 years the police station was situated in Union St, and there are no buildings or monuments of that scale anywhere in the Greater Accrington area I just wish the helmet plate was clearer, then I could identify where and who he served with. the other young lad has a R.F.A. cap badge.

Old 06-01-2017, 13:55   #354

Hi Retlaw, Canning Street ran between Richmond Street and Ranger Street, one up from Scaitcliffe Street.
davidf
cashman likes this.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 16:58   #355
Senior Member+

Hi Chestnut, that's an interesting family you have there. I did a bit of research last night, I'm sure you have all of the info already, one thing though, it looks like William went to Boston in 1909 as you say but it also looks like he may have returned to England and then went back again in 1913 out of Liverpool on the Franconia with friend T Leyland arriving Boston 2-July-1913.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:50   #356
Senior Member+

I am sure that the PC on Chestnut's posting is a Lancashire County bobby. It would be taken in wartime and he would be guarding an important site. I have seen similar photos of PCs with rifles. Chestnut says that Jeremiah served 1911-16. He does not look like a young chap so maybe was too old to join army. When Accrington Borough Police wore helmets, they were of this style, and the helmet plate was similar,. but at some time in their history, they wore bush hats similar to those worn in the Boer War. It is possible to obtain a copy of his police service record from Lancashire Archives. This will show where he was stationed.
accypete likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:49   #357
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Hi Chestnut, that's an interesting family you have there. I did a bit of research last night, I'm sure you have all of the info already, one thing though, it looks like William went to Boston in 1909 as you say but it also looks like he may have returned to England and then went back again in 1913 out of Liverpool on the Franconia with friend T Leyland arriving Boston 2-July-1913.
Hiyer Ossi Kid
William did emigrate to America, his next of kin was his mother Mrs Leyland, she had remarried, and went to America with him, William went to Canada in Jan 1916 and enlisted in the Canadian Artillery William was killed 8 months later. Not found his brother Jeremiah in any military records, he's not in the 1914 or the 1918 burgess rolls either. There were dozens of folk from round here emigrated to Pawtucket before WW1 and several sons fought in British & Canadian regiments during WW1, if they survived they were given free or assisted passage back home.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:22   #358
Senior Member+

Yes Retlaw, I was just passing on a little extra possibility.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:55   #359
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Yes Retlaw, I was just passing on a little extra possibility.
Thanks Ossy Kid.
We are now corresponding by email.
Its been a puzzler, especially that photo of a copper with a bandolier and rifle, which is a Long Lee Enfield of the Boer War era, in all my years of researching WW1 its something I've never come across, especially as there was a Royal Defence Corps comprised of men unfit for front line duties, their main function were guard duties, on important installations. Still can't get it coppers wi rifles, I wouldn't allow em out wi pea shooters unless they are ex-military.
Old 07-01-2017, 17:06   #360
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Hi Retlaw, Canning Street ran between Richmond Street and Ranger Street, one up from Scaitcliffe Street.
davidf
I also have a vague recollection of Canning St in that area, Mog was brought up around yon he will verify it if he sees this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..