Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2009, 13:11   #46
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
If you are saying there is an "A Swann" on the RoH I can probably identify it for you - but not if it's "A Swan". Let me know.
Prim Meths R-O-H.
A. Swann
C. Swann
E. Swann
H. Swann

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2009, 15:13   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
William Baron Pte. 61042. R.A.M.C.
lived at 57 James St, Oswaldtwistle.
Kew Medal Cards WO372/2

His service records were destroyed during WW2

What is the Accrington 100 ?.

Retlaw.
thanks very much for info Acc 100 was I think made up of St Johns Ambulance people
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 08:44   #48

This is my contribution, my grandads brother,my great uncle. Private Anthony Gilmartin. 21179, date of death, 9/8/1915 age unknown. Loyal North Lancashire Regement, Helles Memorial.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 12:14   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
This is my contribution, my grandads brother,my great uncle. Private Anthony Gilmartin. 21179, date of death, 9/8/1915 age unknown. Loyal North Lancashire Regement, Helles Memorial.
Do you have a picture of him.

Private 21179. Loyal North Lancs
September 1915. Mrs Counsell, 37 Willow St, C-l-Moors, has been notified that her brother Private Anthony Gilmartin, has been posted as missing since August 9th last. Anthony has previously served as Private 12076 in the East Lancs Regmt. Before the war he worked at Whinisle pit. His name is on
St Mary's Church War Memorial and Clayton le Moors War Memorial.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-02-2009 at 12:18. Reason: add
Old 22-02-2009, 14:58   #50
Junior Member+

Quote:
Prim Meths R-O-H.
A. Swann
C. Swann
E. Swann
H. Swann

Retlaw.
I'm gong to have a hunt around to see if "A Swann" and "E Swann" were family members - there was definitely an "A Swann", and I know you had no record, but it would be a guess. "E Swann" is not a name I have found in my family yet, but I am still searching and if I find anything I will certainly pass it on to you.

By the way, I'm not sure if I said before, but I'm afraid I have no original documents or photographs for your collection. I have ordered a couple of documents (copies of originals) from the National Archives, but I am assuming you would not be interested in those?
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:05   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm gong to have a hunt around to see if "A Swann" and "E Swann" were family members - there was definitely an "A Swann", and I know you had no record, but it would be a guess. "E Swann" is not a name I have found in my family yet, but I am still searching and if I find anything I will certainly pass it on to you.

By the way, I'm not sure if I said before, but I'm afraid I have no original documents or photographs for your collection. I have ordered a couple of documents (copies of originals) from the National Archives, but I am assuming you would not be interested in those?
Many thanks.
I am more interested in their attestation papers these give a lot of information, so far I have aquired 470 sets of papers and only just got to the end of B's. I'm starting on C's shortly.

Retlaw.
Old 22-02-2009, 22:00   #52
Junior Member+

Quote:
Many thanks.
I am more interested in their attestation papers these give a lot of information, so far I have aquired 470 sets of papers and only just got to the end of B's. I'm starting on C's shortly.

Retlaw.
Sorry, what are "attestation papers"?

(I'm very good at showing my ignorance by the way.)
Old 22-02-2009, 22:30   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
Sorry, what are "attestation papers"?

(I'm very good at showing my ignorance by the way.)
Attestation papers are Army Form B 5212, on which he gives his age, place of birth, address, occupation, date of attestation and date of acceptance, witnessed by a magistrate. Other papers in the file wil show his career in the army, postings, punishments, medical reports and so on. If he was K.i.A., it will show next of kin, siblings, cousins and some times grand parents.

Retlaw.
Old 23-02-2009, 15:22   #54
I am Banned

[quote=Mrs B;684071]

Checked this morning for Swann & Swan.

only two sets of papers under each surname, none of them are what we want.
More are coming on line every week so keep your fingers crossed.
Going through some of the surnames in the B's, I've found some more B's have been added.
Retlaw.
Old 24-02-2009, 20:10   #55
God Member

any mention of a William (Bill) Booth from Gt. Harwood , he lived next door to me during the early 50s , remember stories about him being 'Gassed ' on the Front , sorry no other information.
Thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 11:58   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
any mention of a William (Bill) Booth from Gt. Harwood , he lived next door to me during the early 50s , remember stories about him being 'Gassed ' on the Front , sorry no other information.
Thanks
I have a William Mozart Booth in my files.
Lived at 69 Blackburn Rd Gt Harwood.
Is he the man, because if he is you won't
like what I found in his papers.

Retlaw.
Old 25-02-2009, 17:33   #57
God Member

Quote:
I have a William Mozart Booth in my files.
Lived at 69 Blackburn Rd Gt Harwood.
Is he the man, because if he is you won't
like what I found in his papers.

Retlaw.
Possibly the same guy , at the time I knew him he was just a nice owd chap living down the bottom end of Princess st. , maybe in this case I think its best to remember Shakespeare's quote "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones. "
The chap is long passed on , probably best to leave it there , thanks for taking the time and effort .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 15:59   #58

Can I just say a huge public THANK-YOU to Retlaw for his continuing emails in helping trace details of relatives during the war. I have been able to provide him with a couple of things too but his efforts are greatly appreciated.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50   #59
Junior Member+

I have had a bit of excitement this morning (well, exciting for me) - and, thanks to some information passed to me by Ossy Kid I have discovered an indirect connection to someone else who served in the First World War.

Retlaw has already identified Herbert Swann who I 'laid claim to' earlier. Some time after the War, Herbert Swann married. I had always been given to understand (or my memory's playing tricks again) that his wife's fiancé had been killed in the First World War. In actual fact it turns out that this was her husband rather than her fiancé - Ross Haworth who died 25 May 1917 in France. Ossy Kid says his name is on the memorial at Burnley Road Cemetery.

So not exactly a relation, but certainly a connection.
Old 01-03-2009, 18:43   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
I have had a bit of excitement this morning (well, exciting for me) - and, thanks to some information passed to me by Ossy Kid I have discovered an indirect connection to someone else who served in the First World War.

Retlaw has already identified Herbert Swann who I 'laid claim to' earlier. Some time after the War, Herbert Swann married. I had always been given to understand (or my memory's playing tricks again) that his wife's fiancé had been killed in the First World War. In actual fact it turns out that this was her husband rather than her fiancé - Ross Haworth who died 25 May 1917 in France. Ossy Kid says his name is on the memorial at Burnley Road Cemetery.

So not exactly a relation, but certainly a connection.
Ross Haworth. Private. 20448. Lancs Fus.
Died 26-5-1917, age 30, in army less than six months.
buried in Etaples Miitary Cemetery.
wife Daisy Gladys Haworth of 40 Beech St, Accrington.

Accrington War Memorial.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..